News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Shari from SMART Recovery Here...

Started by Shari, June 07, 2011, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shari

Quote from: Assyriankey on June 13, 2011, 12:38:30 PM
Shari, where does the bulk of SMART Recovery's funding come from?

We rely on donations from those who use the program, group donations (we request that groups, once they are able to meet local expenses share some of their hat-passing funds with the Central Office), sale of publications, sponsorships (website and annual conference), and we have links to Amazon, and GoodSearch and I-give, etc. to help bring in a bit of funding, as well.  We have, on occasion, obtained some grant funding from a government agency (SAMHSA), and a few foundations over the years. (In 1996 we received a grant from a foundation that allowed us to create and publish our Facilitator's Manual, Handbook and also host 6 regional training programs).  I confess we don't do as much grant writing as would be beneficial -- that's always a huge task, with unknown outcome, but we're hoping to improve on that in the future.  BTW, the grant from SAMHSA was in 2003 and helped us create videos to train people to start and facilitate meetings.  That's a snapshot of our funding sources.

Assyriankey

Thanks Shari.  Does SMART Recovery fully disclose their activities and results?  I'm aware that AA does not disclose much info in the way of results and I've always considered this non-reporting as somewhat counter-productive.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Shari

Quote from: Assyriankey on June 13, 2011, 01:03:42 PM
Thanks Shari.  Does SMART Recovery fully disclose their activities and results?  I'm aware that AA does not disclose much info in the way of results and I've always considered this non-reporting as somewhat counter-productive.

Our 990s (tax return info for non-profits) are posted on GuideStar, and we publish an Annual Report available here on our website: http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/bod.htm  (Scroll down just a tad.)  And, we try to keep people up-to-date on activities and results via our quarterly newsletter, monthly volunteer letters, quarterly emails to those who sign up to receive updates via our website homepage, etc. We don't have any secrets (no time for them), so feel free to ask more questions.  :)

Pastafarian

Hi again.

The last tool you shared above sound very much like what I've done with my friend who is abusing marijuana. I can see how talking like that can help to get a grasp of the situation.

I think Assy was referring more to the success rates of people in your program as opposed to money when he asked about results...
It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Which Way?" (1884)

Shari

Quote from: Pastafarian on June 13, 2011, 03:14:15 PM
Hi again.

The last tool you shared above sound very much like what I've done with my friend who is abusing marijuana. I can see how talking like that can help to get a grasp of the situation.

I think Assy was referring more to the success rates of people in your program as opposed to money when he asked about results...

Ah, thank you for that clarification!  I wish that I could say that there's been a lot of research done on SMART Recovery on which to report, but at present, that's not especially true.  There are no studies which directly address the effectiveness of SMART Recovery. However, a number of studies indirectly support the effectiveness of SMART Recovery.

An excellent overview of alcohol treatment effectiveness may be found in RK Hester & WR Miller?s Handbook of Alcoholism Treatment Approaches: Effective Alternatives (3rd. edition, 2003). This volume summarizes the result of all the randomized, controlled clinical trials of alcohol treatment available at that time (nearly 400). To summarize their findings, the treatments that work are consistent with the SMART Recovery approach.

Similarly, the National Institute on Drug Abuse has published the Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment (available at nida.nih.gov). SMART Recovery is consistent with these principles.

In the largest psychotherapy study ever conducted to that date, The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism?s Project MATCH compared 12-step based treatment, cognitive behavior therapy, and motivational enhancement therapy. In this study these approaches were about equally effective. For more information:
http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/match.htm
http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/match.htm

In October 2007, the Walsh Group did a study on religiosity and Mutual-aid Support groups. I have attached the Press Release and it is now in the public domain and available on-line. You can download the article for free. Here is the
link: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2095128

We are trying to move forward on some research (performed by reputable sources), but it will likely be a while until that is completed and the results can be reported.

Kiahanie

Quote from: David M on June 13, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
"No, thanks, I've had enough," works for me in that situation.  Thing I like best about it is how true it is!
||thumbs||
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

davdi

বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

rickymooston

Quote from: Shari on June 13, 2011, 01:49:42 PM
Our 990s (tax return info for non-profits) are posted on GuideStar, and we publish an Annual Report available here on our website: http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/bod.htm  (Scroll down just a tad.)  And, we try to keep people up-to-date on activities and results via our quarterly newsletter, monthly volunteer letters, quarterly emails to those who sign up to receive updates via our website homepage, etc. We don't have any secrets (no time for them), so feel free to ask more questions.  :)

Didn't see success fail stats there tho?
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Shari

Hi, Ricky!  Kindly see post #184.  We don't have much in the way of research as yet, nor do other recovery groups for that matter.  And I think it's safe to perhaps suggest that each program will have successes and failures.  The most important thing is for people to be aware of their choices and find the program that best matches their needs and beliefs.  No one program is better than another, some will just be more effective for an individual because the program resonates with them, and they find a way forward.

rickymooston

Quote from: Shari on August 19, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
Hi, Ricky!  Kindly see post #184.

Odd, I hadn't noticed that post; perhaps Pasta's post and those after came while I was posting and I ignored the forum message.  ||think|| Yes, #184 offers a reasonable answer to AK's question whereas your original answer didn't seem to. I'd gone through the trouble read through the annual report.

I like that Smart isn't dogmatic and that the approach is open to using what works.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute