News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Special Guest SMART Recovery Executive Director to visit forum June 7

Started by Former Believer, June 03, 2011, 02:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Former Believer

Shari Alwood, Executive Director of SMART Recovery, is going to participate in a thread about substance abuse treatment starting on Tuesday, June 7.  Shari has been the Executive Director for the past 17 years and believes that it is important for people to have a choice in treatment options as she believes that different approaches work better for different people. 

For more information on SMART (there is a good video), please visit www.smartrecovery.org.   
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

Jay

I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Captain Luke

Rox

Keepin' it Real

Airyaman

Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

catwixen

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Pastafarian

Awesome! Thanks for organizing it FB.

You meant 7 June I take it...  ||wink||
It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Which Way?" (1884)

Former Believer

Quote from: Pastafarian on June 03, 2011, 05:04:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for organizing it FB.

You meant 7 June I take it...  ||wink||

Good catch, Pasta....Tuesday, June 7!!!!!!!

Kiahanie

I'm looking forward to her visit. I just checked out the Smart Recovery website. I wish something like that had been available in my current town when I moved here.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Former Believer

rickymooston

"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

none

how long after I type amen do I get the money?
I'm lost, if you see me you are lost also
If Jesus believed in himself he wouldn't have been Jewish.

Jubal_DiGriz

Well damn. Informed and expert discussion? It's like we're not on the internet anymore.
"When repeating something makes it true, that will fly.

Not flying now."
        -QuestionMark

Pastafarian

FB, how did you organize this?
How long will Shari be with us for?
It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.

Assyriankey

Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Pastafarian

Jezzebelle

Quote from: Pastafarian on June 05, 2011, 03:29:54 PM
Why's he in btw?

2011-06-04  David M - E1c  Moderator 09
2011-06-04  David M - E1c  Moderator 09
2011-06-04  David M - Rule #3  Moderator 09
2011-06-04  David M - Rule #4  Moderator 09
2011-06-04  David M - Rule #4  Moderator 09

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,11493.0.html

It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Pastafarian

Mooby the Golden Sock

He'll be out a little later in the day, probably a few hours after the discussion starts.

I'll put a link to the thread in the forum news if you want.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

rickymooston

Given the number of people on this forum who are or have coping/coped with an addiction, I think, its very nice of you to invite her here and awesome she can come.

Here are my questions: I will be involved china trip by time she comes

1. I have a friend with a drinking problem and numerous martital finantial problems. He currently uses alcohol to "calm his nerves". He's been trying to go cold turkey but I think he has lapses. How might I introduce this program to him. What other programs could you suggest. He is currently taken a drug to make drinking unpleasnt.

2. The website says its free but when I try to get information, it seems to be selling most of the materials online. What free resources are available for the program?
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Former Believer

Quote from: Pastafarian on June 05, 2011, 03:03:14 PM

It took me about 7 months, 300 phone calls, and hours of very tense negotiations just to get the ball rolling.  I had to go through a myriad of lower-level "know-it-all" pseudo-superviors before I devised an elaborate ruse to get Shari on the  phone.  From there, it took me several more months of difficult, sometimes soul-draining negotiations to get Shari to agree to join the discussion.  It was one hell of a horrible ride, and I will never subject myself, nor those close to me, to such a horrifying experience ever again.  ||grin||

Actually, I simply called SMART headquarters, Shari picked up, looked at our web site, and immediately agreed to participate.  She has been absolutely cordial and acccommodating in the matter.  However, since story A makes me look better, why don't we go with that one, even though it's not true?

She has indicated she'll be around to answer whatever questions arise, although I certainly will be happy with whatever time she is able to provide, if things go longer than is reasonable for her.

Former Believer

Former Believer

Quote from: rickymooston on June 05, 2011, 06:30:33 PM
Given the number of people on this forum who are or have coping/coped with an addiction, I think, its very nice of you to invite her here and awesome she can come.

Here are my questions: I will be involved china trip by time she comes

1. I have a friend with a drinking problem and numerous martital finantial problems. He currently uses alcohol to "calm his nerves". He's been trying to go cold turkey but I think he has lapses. How might I introduce this program to him. What other programs could you suggest. He is currently taken a drug to make drinking unpleasnt.

2. The website says its free but when I try to get information, it seems to be selling most of the materials online. What free resources are available for the program?

Okay, I'll ask her those, Ricky.

Pastafarian

I'd like to share my own path as it unfolds, Ricky. FB and I have had some great email conversations on behavior change and addiction. I'm discovering that it's both ridiculously simple and at the same time a very complex process. You need an event to get you started, I think, but then staying the course can lead to a maze of philosophizing about it, trying to figure out what is true and useful without getting trapped in falsehoods that lead (IMO) to incorrect labeling like "alcoholic", "disease" "addictive personality" etc...

It should be a fascinating thread!

Pastafarian

Quote from: Former Believer on June 05, 2011, 07:01:49 PM
Quote from: Pastafarian on June 05, 2011, 03:03:14 PM

It took me about 7 months, 300 phone calls, and hours of very tense negotiations just to get the ball rolling.  I had to go through a myriad of lower-level "know-it-all" pseudo-superviors before I devised an elaborate ruse to get Shari on the  phone.  From there, it took me several more months of difficult, sometimes soul-draining negotiations to get Shari to agree to join the discussion.  It was one hell of a horrible ride, and I will never subject myself, nor those close to me, to such a horrifying experience ever again.  ||grin||

||grin||

+1 for picking up the phone.

Former Believer

Quote from: rickymooston on June 05, 2011, 06:30:33 PM

As I said, I'll let Shari address this, but I should note that the meetings are free.  Face to face and online.  Also the articles online.

Former Believer

I should also note that Myron and at least one other staff member have been involved in trying to ensure that Shari's visit is handled appropriately.  They've been in contact with me and her, and I wish to extend my appreciation for their support and involvement.

Airyaman

I suggest setting some ground rules for the discussions, to hopefully avoid trolling and unnecessary bickering.
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

Moderator 09