News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Thank you theists

Started by Jazzman, May 14, 2011, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzman

Quote from: Former Believer on May 17, 2011, 12:49:42 AM
I wish you would post more, Jazz.  You are extremely lucid and fun to read when you do.
Thank you FB.   ||tip hat||

Jazzman

Shawna

Jazzman, if you ever want to know the truth about God, just ask me, and I'll tell you  :)

The clerk of my monthly meeting used to be very uncomfortable calling himself a "Christian" because he hated the baggage that went with that term, and the people with whom he would be grouped when people heard he was a Christian.  So he just called himself a "follower of Christ."  For him, Christ was real (still is), even if the way in which other people chose to follow Christ was abhorrent to him.  He has since gotten easier with the term "Christian" and now allows it to be applied to him (although there are those who would deny him that title, because he doesn't adhere to the proper doctrine).

One of the most important lessons I have taken from posts here on IGI is that I need to be much more charitable about other people's beliefs.  I have seen how easy it is for someone to misunderstand my own beliefs and for them to misrepresent my beliefs, without even meaning to, in absurd and hurtful ways.  If it is so easy for people to misunderstand what I believe (which I believe to be fairly straight-forward), then how much easier is it for me to misunderstand the beliefs of someone else?  I have gotten much more charitable regarding the core beliefs of Islam, for example (even while being hardened against some cultural practices that are engaged in by some Muslims).

I actually very much value the religious discussion on IGI.  It has been very useful to me to be able to listen to what other people believe and to try to explain my own beliefs.   I agree that sometimes the discussions get heated, and can end up being merely point-scoring matches, instead of exploratory discussions.  I'm as guilty as the next person of indulging in the occasional attempt to score points instead of listening to what the other person has to say.  But I still value the discussions, and I am glad that IGI is around to facilitate them.

Anyway, you're welcome.  Anytime.   ||tip hat||
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Assyriankey

A follower of Christ, that's a nice sounding alternative.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Shawna

It worked for him for a long time.  I suspect he would be content to continue to leave the description of his beliefs at that... he accepts "Christian", but he's still not thrilled with the term.  A good friend recently cut him off, because the friend discovered that my clerk doesn't believe the Bible in the "right" way... very sad.

It's both easier and harder to be a follower of Christ... all you have to do is what he tells you to do.  "You are my friends if you do what I say."

+1 for the keen sig.
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen