News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Hi there....

Started by Kiahanie, January 31, 2011, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiahanie

I was going to introduce myself, but thought I would read a few introductions first, then got sidetracked when Yog suggested Diotima check out the pictures thread||thumbs||

Anyway, I'm back now. I'm 65, a retired hardware and software design engineer. One wife. One grown son in college. When not not being political I enjoy woodworking, camping, fly-fishing, hiking, traveling, archeology. I live the Northwest USA, and can't imagine living anywhere else. Except maybe the Bitterroot Mountains. Or the Four Corners area. Or maybe Whitehorse in Canada.

I was borne into a branch of the Mormons where my father was a paid minister, but I gave up religion not long after giving up living at home. I proceeded to confuse religion and spirituality for the next 40 years, coming late to Quakerism after becoming comfortable with having a non-religious spiritual life.

I believe in the adjective "divine" and in the noun when it applies to something with the quality of being divine. I do not believe in "deity" by most definitions. I do believe in Truth, Beauty, Freedom, but above all things Love (being a fan of Moulin Rouge).
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

none

how long after I type amen do I get the money?

Son of Man

Welcome, Kiahanie.  You Quakers are interesting folks to say the least.  I hope you enjoy our little community here.  : )
+1
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

jill

Welcome!  I hope you like it here!   We're happy to have you.

||tip hat||
It is what it is

Jezzebelle

It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Yog

Well howdy, +1 for noobness!

Former Believer

Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

kevin

dare to know.

catwixen

Moulin Rouge Rocks! Welcome.... ||cheesy||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Jay

Welcome......  ||cheer||

Have fun, sit back and relax!!!
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Tish

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

nateswift

Well, hey!

Doggone, another Quaker, but this time a really intelligent and thoughtgul one.......  This can only be good. 
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

JudoChop

Abdullah: You got me wrong, I'm not the Eel, I'm the one trying to prove to you that Eels are not Atheists.

FGOH

You won't find any complaints from me about another Quaker coming on board - they seem like a good bunch of folks.

Welcome!
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

kevin

Quote from: nateswift on February 01, 2011, 08:28:54 AM
Doggone, another Quaker, but this time a really intelligent and thoughtgul one.......  This can only be good.

and what exactly is that supposed to mean?
dare to know.

acctnt_shan

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

nateswift

Quote from: kevin on February 01, 2011, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: nateswift on February 01, 2011, 08:28:54 AM

and what exactly is that supposed to mean?
Uh oh.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Hemingway

Hey there yourself! Welcome to the site!
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

JadedPulse

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Sita

Welcome to IGI, Kiahanie.  +1 for joining.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Carl Sagan

Mooby the Golden Sock

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Kiahanie

Thank you all for the greeting. It's nice to be here. I was told this is a good crowd of plain speakers and rigorous thinkers who enjoy a bit of fun.

Or it may have been plain thinkers who enjoy a fun crowd of good speakers. Or maybe a plain bunch of speakers rigorously funning a thinking crowd. Whichever it may have been, I find a lot of divergent opinions expressed fluently and civilly.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Mooby the Golden Sock

No, no, no.

We're a rigorous crowd of fun speakers and bit thinkers who enjoy plain good.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

JudoChop

Quote from: Kiahanie on February 03, 2011, 02:02:37 AM
Thank you all for the greeting. It's nice to be here. I was told this is a good crowd of Palin speakers and rigorous thinkers who enjoy a bit of fun.

Or it may have been Palin thinkers who enjoy a fun crowd of good speakers. Or maybe a Palin bunch of speakers rigorously funning a thinking crowd. Whichever it may have been, I find a lot of divergent opinions expressed fluently and civilly.

Corrected.

Oh and welcome!  ||beerchug||
Abdullah: You got me wrong, I'm not the Eel, I'm the one trying to prove to you that Eels are not Atheists.

Hemingway

Bwaa ha ha...... Nice one Judo!  ||grin||
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

FGOH

Quote from: Kiahanie on February 03, 2011, 02:02:37 AM
Whichever it may have been, I find a lot of divergent opinions expressed fluently and civilly.

Kiahanie said the "c" word!

*points*

||wink||
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Kiahanie

Hi there everyone. It's good to see so many of you still here.

I needed some time to reassemble myself after my clonazepam disruption. My life used to revolve around meetings, research, writing. Those things aren't available anymore: I cannot carry on a coherent conversation, have difficulty connecting sentences whether reading or writing or speaking of talking. I am as opinionated as always, I just can't defend my opinions.

So now I am reintroducing myself as a woodworker.  I always liked working with wood, now that I have the time I might even get to be good at it. I think I have passed the novice stage and am on to journeyman. I aspire to become a craftsman one day.

I have a 12'x24' shop and more tools than strictly necessary. Most of what I do is small things, it being a small shop. I like making my own tools when I can.

Anyway, I am glad to be back, and hope everyone is coping with these dark days. My family is so far virus free. I hope you and yours have been as fortunate.

--Michael

8livesleft

Welcome back, Kiahanie!

artima

Make money with the website