Clarification on the Mental Illness Precedent

Started by Moderator 09, October 26, 2010, 07:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctnt_shan

Isn't that what this whole thread stems from?  A Rule #6 violation, clearly...
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

rickymooston

Quote from: Assyriankey on October 27, 2010, 02:00:09 PM
And if it doesn't, then what?

IMO, in that case, it shouldn't be an insult IMO but that's just me and its against precedent. Calling a Nazi a Nazi was originally considered an insult.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

acctnt_shan

Quote from: rickymooston on October 27, 2010, 02:07:52 PM
IMO, in that case, it shouldn't be an insult IMO but that's just me and its against precedent. Calling a Nazi a Nazi was originally considered an insult.

LOL what the hell does that have to do with it?  Saying that you have ADHD wouldn't be an insult under this precedent either.

It's when you start throwing out labels when you have no idea of their truth or not that it starts to become a problem.  Using what is a very real mental condition to some as an insult to others is rude to the person you're saying about and disrespectful towards people who suffer with the illness.
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

rickymooston

Quote from: acctnt_shan on October 27, 2010, 02:10:56 PM
LOL what the hell does that have to do with it?  Saying that you have ADHD wouldn't be an insult under this precedent either.

Actually previously, it was an insult to call a self admitted Nazi a Nazi.

I don't think, given that I've repeatedly mentioned that I have ADHD, that it should be an insult. Likewise, I don't think saying Ony is gay should be considered being an insult. If somebody presented themselves as a member of the Nazi party, then clearly, in context, calling them a Nazi shouldn't be an insult.

Quote from: acctnt_shan on October 27, 2010, 02:10:56 PM
It's when you start throwing out labels when you have no idea of their truth or not that it starts to become a problem.  Using what is a very real mental condition to some as an insult to others is rude to the person you're saying about and disrespectful towards people who suffer with the illness.

We are obviously in total agreement as to what the rules should be.

Sadly, I don't think that is what the rules actually are.
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

acctnt_shan

Quote from: rickymooston on October 27, 2010, 02:21:28 PM
I don't think, given that I've repeatedly mentioned that I have ADHD, that it should be an insult. Likewise, I don't think saying Ony is gay should be considered being an insult. If somebody presented themselves as a member of the Nazi party, then clearly, in context, calling them a Nazi shouldn't be an insult.

And it isn't... which is precisely what I said.    ||wink||

We are obviously in total agreement as to what the rules should be.

Is that not what it was just changed to?  I'm not sure you're understanding the new precedent.

Captain Luke

Actually previously, it was an insult to call a self admitted Nazi a Nazi.

[snip]
Now this is just my understanding of the new precedent, but I think that of the following:
a) Ricky, how does your ADD manifest itself?
b) Ricky, stop making ridiculous ADD posts
c) Ricky has ADD.
I would find find "b" guilty of rule#6, but not "a" or "c".

As someone who has declared his ADD to all and sundry, you can't (and wouldn't) complain that other people bring it up, unless they do so in a way that is derogatory.

rickymooston

Quote from: shan
Is that not what it was just changed to?  I'm not sure you're understanding the new precedent.

Apparently, based on Luke's reply above, that is true. My understanding of the new precedent was perhaps tainted too much by my experience with the old precedent as it was applied to similar labels such as Nazism.

Quote from: Captain Luke on October 27, 2010, 02:38:10 PM
Now this is just my understanding of the new precedent, but I think that of the following:
a) Ricky, how does your ADD manifest itself?
b) Ricky, stop making ridiculous ADD posts
c) Ricky has ADD.
I would find find "b" guilty of rule#6, but not "a" or "c".

Jay

Ricky,
I just want to clear something up.

Do you have ADHD?

I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Assyriankey on October 27, 2010, 12:52:15 PM
If I ask Ricky if he has ADHD, would I be breaking rule #6?
As someone who used to do reports, you should already know that one of us could "guess" that it'd be ok, only to have us discuss it and decide "guilty" when it's actually reported.  Asking hypothetical questions until you find the one that you think will work is nowhere near a fool-proof way of finding loopholes.

If that post was reported, it'd likely come down to whether we felt "ADHD" was a derogatory term in that context.  And we can't know how that will turn out until we see it in that context and have the discussion.  With your luck, you'll ask something, have one mod tell you (s)he'd vote Not Guilty, post it all over the forum, and have Guilty win in a 3-1 vote.

Plus also, what motivation do we have to help you find loopholes?  That just means you'll intentionally make a bunch of borderline posts, they'll get reported, we'll have to deal with the reports, and we'll have to deal with the inevitable protest from you if Guilty or the people who reported you if Not Guilty.  Who, other than maybe ZZ, would knowingly set themselves up for that?
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

rickymooston

Quote from: jay799 on October 27, 2010, 04:01:36 PM
Do you have ADHD?

Yes.  ||wink|| To be specific, I have the inattention form and don't display hyperactivity.

Jay

Quote from: rickymooston on October 27, 2010, 08:16:36 PM
Quote from: jay799 on October 27, 2010, 04:01:36 PM
Do you have ADHD?

Yes.  ||wink|| To be specific, I have the inattention form and don't display hyperactivity.

Thank you.  I was just wondering.

||grin||

nateswift

Quote from: SkunkButt on October 27, 2010, 07:09:17 AM
Being a person who is on Social Security Disability Income due to various mental illness diagnoses I thought it would be in everybody's interest for my input.

PTSD NOS, clinical depression, panic/anxiety and mood disorders. I have a s**t load of experience from which to comment.

I don't know what to say except that I am glad that someone besides me brought this up 'cause I don't wanna sound like a whiner. I am fairly neutral on the subject I guess because I have come to accept my disability as a part of who I am and am not ashamed but instead I just wish I didn't have to deal with this.

As how the subject of mental illness pertains to the forum sometimes I am divided on how to take the comments. Sometimes it bothers me sometimes it seems to apply  ||thumbs||(depends on my mood). But lately I have seen the mental illness subject surface more than usual. That bothers me. It bothers the person for whom the comment is meant. Mental illness is not an insult it is a diagnosis so don't use it as an insult.

||2cents||
Wow!  I hafta wonder how much if any those diagnoses contribute to your engaging personality.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

rickymooston

Quote from: jay799 on October 27, 2010, 08:50:08 PM
I was just wondering.

O.k. Now that you know about the label, what does it buy you?

I'm still curious to see where you feel you disagree with this odd moose character. By implying that you agreed with Ricky this time in another post, you were indicating that you usually disagree with my moosiness.

I'm rather curious if we truly disagree on something or if we simply express similar points of view in separate ways.

Some of my best and worst characteristics are in my opinion partially related to my ADD based tendencies but well, that's only part of my personality.

David M

||shocked||  This is just great.  Now, half the people on IGI aren't going to be able to talk to me at all! 
WARNING: Amateur psychiatrists have determined that this poster can be hazardous to your peace of mind.  Do not consume anything written by this poster unless accompanied by adequate doses of salt.

Jezzebelle

It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

rickymooston

Quote from: ZZ on October 27, 2010, 11:41:18 PM
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 27, 2010, 07:22:37 PM
 Who, other than maybe ZZ, would knowingly set themselves up for that?

wait wut?  ||huh||

I think mooby was using a loop hole to insult you.

SkunkButt

The reality of it is that there is nobody on this forum or elsewhere who is capable of making a diagnosis through using the forum. Most of what I see problematic is people who are overwhelmed by their emotions and not due to any mental illness.

So when the topic of mental illness is brought up ask yourself if it is pertinent to the discussion---99.99% of the time the mental illness issue is not present. There have been a few times where I have had to back off or slack off because my problems were interfering but for the most part I think I do pretty well considering.

Ricky pointed out and I agree that the boldened statement is excessive optimism on my part. It sometimes takes a Canadian to point this out.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: rickymooston on October 27, 2010, 11:54:21 PM
I think your attempt at Captain Obvious just failed miserably.  I also think that ZZ did not absolutely need Captain Obvious in the first place.

Jezzebelle

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 28, 2010, 04:08:42 AM
I think your attempt at Captain Obvious just failed miserably.  I also think that ZZ did not absolutely need Captain Obvious in the first place.

||grin||
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

rickymooston

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 28, 2010, 04:08:42 AM

Now you are loopholing Luke?

Jay

Quote from: rickymooston on October 27, 2010, 10:44:37 PM
Quote from: jay799 on October 27, 2010, 08:50:08 PM
I was just wondering.

O.k. Now that you know about the label, what does it buy you?

I'm still curious to see where you feel you disagree with this odd moose character. By implying that you agreed with Ricky this time in another post, you were indicating that you usually disagree with my moosiness.

I'm rather curious if we truly disagree on something or if we simply express similar points of view in separate ways.

Damn Ricky

**sigh**

Are you going to harp on that one comment forever?

rickymooston

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: rickymooston on October 28, 2010, 04:44:41 AMNow you are loopholing Luke?
No, I'm saying that if I labeled you according to your comments in this thread, it would be an insult to all but the small section of a certain bell curve to which that term technically applies.

This is my first loop hole in the thread.  All other "loop holes" you think you found are just a sign that you should take an exam that may have some implications for the above paragraph.

rickymooston

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 28, 2010, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: rickymooston on October 28, 2010, 04:44:41 AMNow you are loopholing Luke?
No, I'm saying that if I labeled you according to your comments in this thread, it would be an insult to all but the small section of a certain bell curve to which that term technically applies.

This is my first loop hole in the thread.  All other "loop holes" you think you found are just a sign that you should take an exam that may have some implications for the above paragraph.

Hahaha, you are good. ||666||.