News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Notification from Leese

Started by leighann907, November 25, 2009, 07:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leese

Quote from: sky on December 25, 2009, 03:46:53 PM
Best wishes leese, hang in there. I hope all your hard work pays off big time!
Thanks Sky. BTW, talk to your Dr. about taking daily asprin. Being over 40 as a woman, adds a risk for stroke(menopause)

0, as does bad past habits, like smoking. So there's
's two strikes against you already. I'd hate to see anyone not take such a small step to prevent somethung like this from happening to them. Stroke is the#3 cause of death in the U.S.

sky

Quote from: leese on December 25, 2009, 09:07:03 PM
Thanks Sky. BTW, talk to your Dr. about taking daily asprin. Being over 40 as a woman, adds a risk for stroke(menopa

Yeah, I've heard that and I should take the asprin, but then I also keep hearing that people take the wrong dose or the wrong kind or something, so I just sit back and do nothing waiting for the confusion to clear. All I really need to do is ask the damn doctor but then I forget to. The only thing I take is Omega 3 fish oil.

Quote, as does bad past habits, like smoking. So there's
's two strikes against you already. I'd hate to see anyone not take such a small step to prevent somethung like this from happening to them. Stroke is the#3 cause of death in the U.S.
I did not know that past habits like smoking could cause a stroke. I assumed if a bad habit like smoking got far enough behind you most everything could go back close to normal. I haven't smoked in 7 years but I smoked for about 25 years, man that sounds bad...#3 for deaths in the US, I didn't know that either. I know my mom had very high cholesterol most of her life. I get those drug store kits and check mine periodically. I can't rememebr if at my yearly they even did a cholesterol check. One thing I do know is I need to start being more prepared when I do go to the doctor and ask more questions, get my money's worth from them. What aspirin do they have you take and what dose? if you don't mind me asking.
My username is sky and my password is #####
-its yours if you want it.

leese

Quote from: sky on December 26, 2009, 12:57:03 AM
Quote from: leese on December 25, 2009, 09:07:03 PM
Thanks Sky. BTW, talk to your Dr. about taking daily asprin. Being over 40 as a woman, adds a risk for stroke(menopa

Yeah, I've heard that and I should take the asprin, but then I also keep hearing that people take the wrong dose or the wrong kind or something, so I just sit back and do nothing waiting for the confusion to clear. All I really need to do is ask the damn doctor but then I forget to. The only thing I take is Omega 3 fish oil.

Quote, as does bad past habits, like smoking. So there's

I did not know that past habits like smoking could cause a stroke. I assumed if a bad habit like smoking got far enough behind you most everything could go back close to normal. I haven't smoked in 7 years but I smoked for about 25 years, man that sounds bad...#3 for deaths in the US, I didn't know that either. I know my mom had very high cholesterol most of her life. I get those drug store kits and check mine periodically. I can't rememebr if at my yearly they even did a cholesterol check. One thing I do know is I need to start being more prepared when I do go to the doctor and ask more questions, get my money's worth from them. What aspirin do they have you take and what dose? if you don't mind me asking.

The Dr. has advised 325 mg of ecotrim(it's coated and won't bother your stomach) for me and my sis.He also said even a couple baby asprin are good and won't do any harm. But again, ask your own Dr. Cholesterol can be a risk but I've had blood tests every year to check it for the last 10 years or more. Mine has always been great. I eat lots of nuts, olive oil, fish and avocados. Although high in calories, they are great for your cholesterol. So, having good cholesterol doesn't;t give you any kind of immunity, it's just one less strike against you. Genes can play a big part in strokes. At least then you know you need to be proactive in preventing stroke or heart disease. I thought with smoking 5 years behind me, that I had 'fixed the damage from 30 years of stupidity, but no, I've been told differently.

This^ is on my mind a lot, oh, and learning more about handicap access codes and finding out how to get places that don't meet code, to comply.My world view is now from a sitting position. Might as well fix something while I'm down

sky

Quote from: leese on December 26, 2009, 02:09:46 AM
The Dr. has advised 325 mg of ecotrim(it's coated and won't bother your stomach) for me and my sis.He also said even a couple baby asprin are good and won't do any harm.

Ecotrim, that's the one I had heard of. That's what I'll get. Thanks Leese, that I will do. I didn't know you had a sister...:) sisters are cool when you get older...

On the Cholesterol thing, I think I am going to call up there and find out if they did a check, thinking now I don't think they did or I would know right now what the score was. I don't think they did one. Damn smoking, our generation sure latched onto that one didn't we. Almost all of the women in my family were heavy smokers all of my life. It was a learned behavior, not blaming them but I know why it looked so glamorous...You should get it off your mind leese you can't do anything about the past except learn from it don't worry about it just use it.

Quoteand learning more about handicap access codes and finding out how to get places that don't meet code, to comply. My world view is now from a sitting position. Might as well fix something while I'm down

Yep help others while you can and while you can see their world you know so much more about it. Hang in there leese. I hope it all passes by and you learn how to take the best care of yourself you have ever been able to or known how to.

Also I have no clue of my fathers genetics or family history, that is an unknown for me, so I should be doing much more preventative care in the Cholesterol, heart disease and stroke area.

leese

Quote from: sky on December 26, 2009, 02:34:14 AM
Quote from: leese on December 26, 2009, 02:09:46 AM
The Dr. has advised 325 mg of ecotrim(it's coated and won't bother your stomach) for me and my sis.He also said even a couple baby asprin are good and won't do any harm.

Ecotrim, that's the one I had heard of. That's what I'll get. Thanks Leese, that I will do. I didn't know you had a sister...:) sisters are cool when you get older...
didn't grow up together, so we have no sibling riviarly history. I have two sisters. One a year older and one two years younger. My younger one and I are very close because we spent time living in California at the same time and built a history. I was very lucky to get one at such a late date.She's been a great Aunt to Leighann too.She's a Colleen, and an Irish beauty to match the name.

Glad you are looking into the asprin. Such a small thing to do to possibly prevent so much misery.  ||thumbs||

leese

Received more conclusive reports as to the why I had this stinkin' stroke.I can stop flogging myself thinking my past behaviors  were at fault.: the Neuro guys have decided after re-examining my CTs nd MRIs that my Anterior cerebral artery has a narrowing that is congenital, not from plaque, and eventually suffered a thrombosis at the narrowing. basically, a blot clot formed there due to platelets collecting at the narrow point. Well, that's my layman's understanding of it anyway. So, aspirin is still my best bet to prevent another stroke, as there is really nothing they can do to widen the artery in my situation. no brain surgery, thank you very much.It will be so nice to eventually get to the point where I don't think about all this.

David M

Quote from: leese on December 31, 2009, 09:04:12 PM
Received more conclusive reports as to the why I had this stinkin' stroke.I can stop flogging myself thinking my past behaviors  were at fault.: the Neuro guys have decided after re-examining my CTs nd MRIs that my Anterior cerebral artery has a narrowing that is congenital, not from plaque, and eventually suffered a thrombosis at the narrowing. basically, a blot clot formed there due to platelets collecting at the narrow point. Well, that's my layman's understanding of it anyway. So, aspirin is still my best bet to prevent another stroke, as there is really nothing they can do to widen the artery in my situation. no brain surgery, thank you very much.It will be so nice to eventually get to the point where I don't think about all this.

Ooo, a thrombosis at the narrowing of the Anterior cerebral artery!  That sounds nasty.  Is it contagious?

I'm interested in the self flagulation, though.  What were you using?  A belt, a whip, cat-o-nine-tails?  Please, do tell!
WARNING: Amateur psychiatrists have determined that this poster can be hazardous to your peace of mind.  Do not consume anything written by this poster unless accompanied by adequate doses of salt.

leese

Quote from: David M on December 31, 2009, 11:12:17 PM

Ooo, a thrombosis at the narrowing of the Anterior cerebral artery!  That sounds nasty.  Is it contagious?

I'm interested in the self flagulation, though.  What were you using?  A belt, a whip, cat-o-nine-tails?  Please, do tell!

||chocobo||

catwixen

Oooh does that mean God did it?
||huh||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

leese

Quote from: catwixen on January 01, 2010, 06:18:59 AM
Oooh does that mean God did it?
||huh||
Well, either him or my crappy genes I got from my mom sleeping with neighborhood Micks.

Personally I'm surprised more Atheists don't have strokes.Bible god is a pretty vindictive fellow in print. ||think||

Shawna

Happy Happy New Year, leese!  So they released you on the 29th?  How is it going?

Is the elevated risk for stroke "after 40" or "menopause"?  Because I haven't started menopause yet, although I am definitely after 40....
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

leese

Quote from: Shawna on January 02, 2010, 04:42:29 AM
Happy Happy New Year, leese!  So they released you on the 29th?  How is it going?

Is the elevated risk for stroke "after 40" or "menopause"?  Because I haven't started menopause yet, although I am definitely after 40....

Menopause and  pre and post. Ask your Dr if  what, if any asprin dosageis advised for you. Some people just take baby asprin.

Home is taking some adjustment. Everything is here and where I left it when life was simple and normal.It'll be Ok, because there aren't other options. OTOH, I have music again. I was deprived during my hospital stay. They had youtube blocked on their internet and sleepy Christmas tunes playing  in public areas.

Hope you had a wonderful Holiday.  Hugs to Kevin!

Shawna

Christmas was great!  Kevin got home around noon on Christmas Eve and didn't have to leave until the morning of the 29th.

I'll check out the aspirin thing.  In my family, the old ladies all just die in their mid-nineties from being way old.  I can't think of anyone who's had a stroke.

I imagine that home could be difficult to manage for a while longer.  You'll probably need to rearrange some things temporarily.  Are the stairs OK?
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

sky

Received more conclusive reports as to the why I had this stinkin' stroke.I can stop flogging myself thinking my past behaviors  were at fault.: the Neuro guys have decided after re-examining my CTs nd MRIs that my Anterior cerebral artery has a narrowing that is congenital, not from plaque, and eventually suffered a thrombosis at the narrowing. basically, a blot clot formed there due to platelets collecting at the narrow point. Well, that's my layman's understanding of it anyway. So, aspirin is still my best bet to prevent another stroke, as there is really nothing they can do to widen the artery in my situation. no brain surgery, thank you very much.It will be so nice to eventually get to the point where I don't think about all this.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad you don't have to have brain surgery, FOR SURE, that sounds way scary. The whole thing must be scary. I wonder if they can monitor that artery?. "Get behind me 2009" that's what leese is thinking...

I still haven't gotten the aspirin yet, I will though next time I'm at Wallgreens. I refuse to think about peri and post either its full blown or its nothing...

Yo!

leese

Quote from: sky on January 02, 2010, 05:21:38 AM
Received more conclusive reports as to the why I had this stinkin' stroke.I can stop flogging myself thinking my past behaviors  were at fault.: the Neuro guys have decided after re-examining my CTs nd MRIs that my Anterior cerebral artery has a narrowing that is congenital, not from plaque, and eventually suffered a thrombosis at the narrowing. basically, a blot clot formed there due to platelets collecting at the narrow point. Well, that's my layman's understanding of it anyway. So, aspirin is still my best bet to prevent another stroke, as there is really nothing they can do to widen the artery in my situation. no brain surgery, thank you very much.It will be so nice to eventually get to the point where I don't think about all this.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad you don't have to have brain surgery, FOR SURE, that sounds way scary. The whole thing must be scary. I wonder if they can monitor that artery?. "Get behind me 2009" that's what leese is thinking...

I still haven't gotten the aspirin yet, I will though next time I'm at Wallgreens. I refuse to think about peri and post either its full blown or its nothing...

Yo!

Yeah, I go back in a month for a CT, then 6 months, then at regular intervals to be determined after that. Makes me feel like I have some prevention against another stroke. There is a 14% risk of having a second stroke for a year after the first one. I'm finding the numbers to be very skewed and dependent on circumstances that I am not part of though.I can only do what is possible and try not to think about another. Although, my phone will never be out of reach if I am alone again.All this has made me less of 'Loner' lately.I hope bing over-cautious will pass. It's not in keeping with my personality, but this has been the biggest dose of unpleasant  reality I've ever had and I find some fearfulness lurking in the closets of my mind.

David M

Quote from: leese on January 02, 2010, 06:02:33 AM
Although, my phone will never be out of reach if I am alone again.All this has made me less of 'Loner' lately.I hope bing over-cautious will pass. It's not in keeping with my personality, but this has been the biggest dose of unpleasant  reality I've ever had and I find some fearfulness lurking in the closets of my mind.

Yeah, mortality catches up with all of us eventually.  Hear from Jesus yet?   ||Kris||
WARNING: Amateur psychiatrists have determined that this poster can be hazardous to your peace of mind.  Do not consume anything written by this poster unless accompanied by adequate doses of salt.

leese

Quote from: David M on January 02, 2010, 06:52:23 AM
Although, my phone will never be out of reach if I am alone again.All this has made me less of 'Loner' lately.I hope bing over-cautious will pass. It's not in keeping with my personality, but this has been the biggest dose of unpleasant  reality I've ever had and I find some fearfulness lurking in the closets of my mind.

Yeah, mortality catches up with all of us eventually.   Hear from Jesus yet?   ||Kris||

lol! yes it does. finally we agree on something.
No sign of the Jewish guy. Do you figure he stopped off somewhere for a little nosh and got lost? ||think||

David M

Quote from: leese on January 02, 2010, 07:02:17 AM
Quote from: David M on January 02, 2010, 06:52:23 AM

Yeah, mortality catches up with all of us eventually.   Hear from Jesus yet?   ||Kris||

lol! yes it does. finally we agree on something.
No sign of the Jewish guy. Do you figure he stopped off somewhere for a little nosh and got lost? ||think|| 

Could be he's trying to find a good pair of boots.  Last time I saw him, he was just wearing sandals.   ||think||  brrrr...

Shawna

One thing I have noticed about Jesus is He really is there, even when you don't notice that He is until later.  But He doesn't do the dishes, or carry out the garbage... which would be nice once in a while.
--Origen

David M

Quote from: Shawna on January 02, 2010, 07:13:02 AM
One thing I have noticed about Jesus is He really is there, even when you don't notice that He is until later.  But He doesn't do the dishes, or carry out the garbage... which would be nice once in a while.

Maybe not, but I hear he can arrange for a plumber in a hurry!

nateswift

Quote from: leese on January 02, 2010, 05:06:14 AM

OTOH, I have music again. I was deprived during my hospital stay. They had youtube blocked on their internet and sleepy Christmas tunes playing  in public areas.

Hope you had a wonderful Holiday.  Hugs to Kevin!

Oooooooh, maybe you can answer a burning question:  how many times can you hear "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" without actually going through a wall?
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Shawna

Quote from: David M on January 02, 2010, 07:21:43 AM
Quote from: Shawna on January 02, 2010, 07:13:02 AM

Maybe not, but I hear he can arrange for a plumber in a hurry!

That, He will do!
--Origen