News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

12001 - the way of the laud...

Started by Assyriankey, May 16, 2009, 04:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assyriankey

For all those 2 (or is it 3?) members who've got a problem with me mocking their beliefs, harden the f*ck up.  I'm a snub-nosed atheist trying to administer a forum where all points of view are allowed.  But I'm a regular member too.  Step back and think how your accusations concerning my behaviour are received by me?  And when you've stepped back, think how you would handle my job description?  And when you've admitted that you'd likely f*ck it up because of your personal beliefs, go read my posts from the old WWGHA forum and realise just how thoroughly I can mock Christian beliefs when I want to.

From where I sit, your allegations that I'm mocking you are crap - you mock my beliefs just as often, and just as hard.  And I'm not even trying...
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

leese

cmarie

Book mark.

+1 Assy, for doing what you do. I will just say, I have never felt mocked by you. And I know you could chop up some of my beliefs, and mock me. But you don't. And that is why I feel free to post my beliefs, as an atheist who is very spiritual. I am still trying to make sense of the world, and being able to exchange ideas is vital to me.

I don't consider poking a little fun, or asking a probing question as mockery. You may make me think, but you never make me feel stupid, or too crazy for my ideas. Underlying anything you poke me for, is respect. I appreciate what you do.

: )

Quote from: leese on May 16, 2009, 05:01:10 PM
WWGHA ASSY---> ||donkeykong||  ||Ben||<---IGI ASSY

Bwahahahahahahahahha!
The highest point a man can attain is not knowledge, or virtue, or goodness, or victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing:
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

sky

Yep, I never feel mocked by Assy. For the most part Assy is fair and respectful to the individual poster. Sometimes though the thread topics are a bit mocking of God, sometimes I take that personally.

I've read a little from WWGHA not enough to compare the two places, Assy.

I like this place. Thanks Assy.
My username is sky and my password is #####
-its yours if you want it.

JustMyron

This thread is a good thing to have.

Assy, I know you try, and that you go a lot easier than you could. And yes, people should think about things and see things from your perspective. That's partially what this forum is about - different people "seeing the other side".

On the other hand, you took this job. What did you think was going to happen? From their perspective, you're mocking them. And as long as we have new religious members, who aren't very good at seeing things from an atheist perspective, we're going to have people getting pissed off at you for mocking them/their beliefs/God. I supported Shawna and LoS when they suggested you shouldn't be as mocking because I think, as a part of the process where they get to see things both your way and their way at the same time, people have to be allowed to yell at you a little for mocking them/being unfair/having an atheist bias. You can't change a viewpoint if people aren't willing to express it. So this thread, and ones like it, have to be handled very carefully.

So, while I think this thread is great, and I hope the people who think you're mocking them come on and have a conversation with you about it, I think it's important to keep in mind that balance, and make sure that after this conversation, people still feel free to yell at you if they want to. So don't take it personally if I +1 someone who gets annoyed at you for mocking, OK? My philosophy is "Everyone: say what you think, and we'll deal with it". I wouldn't want people to stop yelling at you, any more than I'd want you to stop saying provocative things, really, because both of those elements are necessary for this forum to be a genuine dialogue. It's a constant balance between not offending too many people and still being able to be honest and open, and that balance can only be maintained by constant and ongoing pressure from both sides in the dialogue. And you sir have chosen to be at the focal point of that pressure. Thank you very much, harden the f**k up (a little - it's not personal), and have fun  ||wink||

Now come on, "Assy is mocking us" people! Say something!
||popcorn||

sky

Why do I always feel like I'm out of the loop.

Shawna

Actually, I never told Assy that I thought he should be less mocking.  I just told him that he ought to be willing to acknowledge that LoS had a valid point.

If Assy had said, "Yeah, I mock people sometimes, but I try not to..."  that would have been cool.

Instead, Assy chose to go on the attack, and said, "LoS, you mock people," and never once acknowledged his own occasionally sassy mouth.  So that's when I stepped in, because it seemed to me that he was coming down too hard on LoS.  And Assy went ahead and acknowledged that he was sometimes flippant, and that's good enough for me.

I think, given the subject matter, Assy does a good job at being civil most of the time.  And a great job at administrating the forum.  And a good job at pointing out where other people have room to improve.  And a good job being funny and interesting and insightful most of the time.

He just does a lousy job at taking criticism...   ||wink||
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

catwixen

||thumbs|| Assy....yes I remember how cruel you used to be. You are a kitten now compared.  ||grin||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Auz

I encourage mockery... insofar as to discourage insulting behaviour.
"That's a silly idea" is preferable to "you are a stupid idiot".

Mockery has its place, just as silly beliefs have a place too.
Never Remember To Always Forget.

Assyriankey

Shawna, that's bullsh*t.  Start here and read -> http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,16113.msg155492.html#msg155492 (#32)

LoS denied ever mocking, and look at the example she provided of me mocking someone?!  WTF?  Your hypocritical crap in that thread was just what the doctor ordered.

I've come to the conclusion that Donna is full of sh*t for God and that doesn't go down too well with me.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Shawna

Okay.

I didn't enter the thread until after you mocked Donna with a flowerchild photo with the caption "Hot, but don't try to talk to it...".  Since that example of one of your cutting one-line remarks was almost directly above the post in which I pointed out you were good at occasional cutting one-line remarks, I didn't feel a need to point it out directly.  Maybe I should have.

I didn't tell you that Donna was innocent of mocking; I asked you to cut her some slack.  I haven't noticed Donna mocking anyone, but I don't follow all the threads.  I'm sure I could find an example somewhere.  We all do it now and then around here.

My hypocritical crap got you tearing into me instead of her, anyway, which was kind of the point.  Sorry it ticked you off.
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Assyriankey

Shawna, I already cut Donna a lot of slack, and I have done this from day one of her membership here.  She started that sh*t fight by attacking me in that thread (and at least one other thread too).  I'm not going to sit back and take her crap.

She quoted me (in a different thread) mocking David M (and God).  Here's what David said to me...

Quote from: David M on May 11, 2009, 09:33:57 PM
Now that you mention it, who do atheists talk to when they're having sex?  Or do you still say, "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God!" even though you don't believe in him?  Or is is, "Oh Darwin, Oh Darwin, Oh Darwin!"?

And here's my reply...

Quote from: Assyriankey on May 11, 2009, 09:39:59 PM
If it's a really good f*ck I say "oh god oh god oh god", 3 times, in his honour.

If it's an ordinary f*ck, I say "oh baby, you're the best ever..."

LoS is just slinging mud at me.  You're backing the wrong horse.

###

Here's a challenge:  Find one of my posts where I mock a member's beliefs without provocation.

Shawna

Yes, I read that exchange between you and David.   I thought it was incredibly funny.  I would never have used that as an example of you mocking anything, because it was an appropriate response to his comment.

I am not going to take your challenge.  I am not that concerned about your behavior.  Like I said before, your behavior is generally pretty good.
--Origen

Vynn

Quote from: sky on May 16, 2009, 10:51:37 PM
Why do I always feel like I'm out of the loop.

There's a loop somewhere?
Signature deleted by mods

Vynn

To Assy:

Nigga please. You ain't gotta defend yourself or excuse anything you've said.

To those who say Assy is "mocking" your beliefs or something else or other:

Oh get over it for pete's sake. You may as well be getting upset over a smudge on your glasses in the middle of a friendly marshmallow fight when after the s'mores were all eaten around the campfire, you realized that there was still half a bag of the jumbo size left.
Signature deleted by mods

Shawna

You got jumbos?  Why you holding out on me?

C'mon over here...  I got chocolate and graham crackers!
--Origen

Assyriankey

Assyriankey

Quote from: cmarie on May 16, 2009, 05:01:56 PM
I don't consider poking a little fun, or asking a probing question as mockery. You may make me think, but you never make me feel stupid, or too crazy for my ideas. Underlying anything you poke me for, is respect. I appreciate what you do.

Thank you Marie. :)

Assyriankey

Quote from: sky on May 16, 2009, 05:18:10 PM
Yep, I never feel mocked by Assy. For the most part Assy is fair and respectful to the individual poster. Sometimes though the thread topics are a bit mocking of God, sometimes I take that personally.

Thanks sky.  I mock people, there's no denying this, but I'm seldom first on the dance floor.  It's a tribute to the depths of your beliefs that you feel that way.

Assyriankey

Quote from: JustMyron on May 16, 2009, 10:30:10 PM
This thread is a good thing to have.

Assy, I know you try, and that you go a lot easier than you could. And yes, people should think about things and see things from your perspective. That's partially what this forum is about - different people "seeing the other side".

Yep.

On the other hand, you took this job.

I 'took this job' because my assy was being banned left, right and center.  I had to be talked into running this forum like 4 million times.  I'm a free-lance by nature.  But when I do something I try to do it right - no fear, no favour.

I supported Shawna and LoS when they suggested you shouldn't be as mocking because I think, as a part of the process where they get to see things both your way and their way at the same time, people have to be allowed to yell at you a little for mocking them/being unfair/having an atheist bias.

Fairness is good too.  Double entente.

You can't change a viewpoint if people aren't willing to express it. So this thread, and ones like it, have to be handled very carefully.

OMG WTF LOL!!! :)

So don't take it personally if I +1 someone who gets annoyed at you for mocking, OK?

-1  ||wink||

Thank you very much, harden the f**k up (a little - it's not personal), and have fun  ||wink||

Thanks.  I've told you what I take away from this forum and my tune hasn't changed - it's not what you know, it's who.  I'm pretty hard most of the time, thanks IGI. :)

Now come on, "Assy is mocking us" people! Say something!
||popcorn||

||popcorn||

Assyriankey

Quote from: Shawna on May 16, 2009, 10:56:57 PM

I put you in the shade when it comes to taking criticism  ||no wink||

Don't defend crap.  This point is narrow.  Big sisters have a biological excuse.  If truth is your crutch then make sure both your legs are working, just in case.

Assyriankey

Quote from: catwixen on May 17, 2009, 02:55:26 AM
||thumbs|| Assy....yes I remember how cruel you used to be. You are a kitten now compared.  ||grin||

Thanks Cat.  I've changed a lot since those times.

Assyriankey

Quote from: Auzzie Souldi3r on May 17, 2009, 03:00:23 AM
I encourage mockery... insofar as to discourage insulting behaviour.

Mockery is insulting, if only indirectly.

The idealist in me says you're wrong.

Assyriankey

Quote from: Vynn on May 17, 2009, 05:28:13 AM
To Assy:

Nigga please. You ain't gotta defend yourself or excuse anything you've said.

To Vynn:

I don't do anything I don't want to do.

JustMyron

Quote from: Assyriankey on May 17, 2009, 02:52:15 PMFairness is good too.  Double entente.

What you see is fair is dependent upon your perspective. It would be nice if everyone would agree, but they won't. So sometimes I've got to treat people in a way they would see as fair, rather than treating them how I would see as fair. If they're talking, we can start to agree on what "fair" means.

sky

Quote from: Assyriankey on May 17, 2009, 02:05:31 PM
Quote from: sky on May 16, 2009, 05:18:10 PM

Thanks sky.  I mock people, there's no denying this, but I'm seldom first on the dance floor.  It's a tribute to the depths of your beliefs that you feel that way.

You're welcome Assy, I do think that you are seldom the first on the dance floor when it comes to mocking, but now that you have pointed that out, I'll be looking for it. I'll help keep you honest...:)

Assyriankey

Quote from: JustMyron on May 17, 2009, 03:12:46 PM
Quote from: Assyriankey on May 17, 2009, 02:52:15 PMFairness is good too.  Double entente.

What you see is fair is dependent upon your perspective. It would be nice if everyone would agree, but they won't. So sometimes I've got to treat people in a way they would see as fair, rather than treating them how I would see as fair. If they're talking, we can start to agree on what "fair" means.

Fairness is good too.  Double entente.

SkunkButt

Assey is just mad because asses get ridden a lot in the bible. Asses as assets (pun intended) in biblical times.

The ass that talked and philosophised with Balaam is probably one of Assey's ancestors so give some respect to your ass.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

Assyriankey

Quote from: SkunkButt on May 18, 2009, 03:42:10 AM
Assey is just mad because asses get ridden a lot in the bible. Asses as assets (pun intended) in biblical times.

The ass that talked and philosophised with Balaam is probably one of Assey's ancestors so give some respect to your ass.

Yep.  And Jesus rode side-saddle too - no respect for my forefathers.  Oh the shame of that day...

Shawna

Quote from: Assyriankey on May 17, 2009, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: Shawna on May 16, 2009, 10:56:57 PM

I put you in the shade when it comes to taking criticism  ||no wink||

Don't defend crap.  This point is narrow.  Big sisters have a biological excuse.  If truth is your crutch then make sure both your legs are working, just in case.

Walk it off.  She mentioned that you mocked sometimes and you raged all over her.  You do mock sometimes, and you have now acknowledged it in this thread.  Yes, yes, I know, you only mock after they've earned it....  You could have acknowledged it there, but you chose to throw a temper tantrum that my 4-year-old would have been proud of, instead.

You take criticism very very badly.  Show me where I have attacked and raged at someone on this forum who has criticized me, and I will concede that you are no worse than me at taking criticism.  But you do not put me in the shade when it comes to taking criticism; not by any stretch of the imagination.   ||no wink||
--Origen

Assyriankey

I never denied anything, all I did was ask for examples.  I only got hot under the collar when the examples weren't forthcoming.  And when examples were later provided they were pathetic.

I don't like being sniped at.  If someone is going to accuse me of something then they must support their accusation with evidence.  Being told to read my own posts just doesn't cut it.  And if the accuser is also guilty of the same charge then the gloves come off, and rightly so IMO.

I don't take criticism badly, I take bullsh*t badly.  My first replies to LoS in that thread were well-intentioned (bottom of page #1), I didn't throw a tantrum, I didn't deny anything, I kept on engaging with her.  Things only became pear-shaped later in the piece.

Your strategy for taking criticism is to deny the criticism.  That's far worse than anything I do with regard to taking criticism.

Shawna

When I am not guilty of the criticism, I deny it.
--Origen

Assyriankey

Quote from: Shawna on May 20, 2009, 03:37:14 AM
When I am not guilty of the criticism, I deny it.

What's it like never being guilty of any criticism?

Shawna

I have accepted criticism on this forum, when I have been guilty of it.

What's it like being mean and rude to people who thought you were their friend?
--Origen

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Shawna on May 20, 2009, 03:51:15 AM

I'm never mean or rude to people who are not my friends.  If you can't be rude and mean to your friends who can you be rude or mean to?

Maybe that's why I have so few friends.

||think||
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

catwixen

LOL I have disowned so many family and friends in fits of anger.... ||hammerhead|| When I felt they had been rude to me.
Got to learn to count to ten!!!!!!

cmarie

Quote from: Happy Evolute on May 20, 2009, 10:07:44 AM
Quote from: Shawna on May 20, 2009, 03:51:15 AM

I'm never mean or rude to people who are not my friends.  If you can't be rude and mean to your friends who can you be rude or mean to?

Maybe that's why I have so few friends.

||think||

Good point HE. My friends and I are so mean and rude to each other, it is hysterical. But with people I don't know well, I am polite. Maybe that is why I have so few friends too. :)
The highest point a man can attain is not knowledge, or virtue, or goodness, or victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing:
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

cmarie

Quote from: Assyriankey on May 17, 2009, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: cmarie on May 16, 2009, 05:01:56 PM

Thank you Marie. :)

I am just telling it like it is.  ||smiley||
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

Son of Man

Quote from: catwixen on May 21, 2009, 06:25:29 AM
LOL I have disowned so many family and friends in fits of anger.... ||hammerhead|| When I felt they had been rude to me.
Got to learn to count to ten!!!!!!

Goobs told me that you're a bad mother.
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

catwixen

No you must have misheard...he sais I am a RAD mother.  ||smiley||