Previous topic - Next topic

Meat

Cool pics. Cabelas poster boy.  ||jay||
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Jay

Quote from: Meat on March 04, 2013, 01:01:30 AM
Cool pics. Cabelas poster boy.  ||jay||

Sadly, there is no Cabela's in my state.  :(

But there is a Gander Mountain less than 10 minutes from me.  It is one of my favorite stores, that I can never make it out of without buying something.

I think I picked up the hat at an army-navy store and the hoodie at a gun show though.  ||grin||

It was very cold here this weekend.  It got into the 40's at night, and sitting in a tree stand at 6:30am in 50 degree weather, I had thermals on, another layer on my chest and the hoodie on top as well as some light camo gloves and was still cold.  But I am a Florida boy now, so cold goes right to my bones.   ||grin||

It was a beautiful sight though watching the sun rise over the horizon from the stand.  I sat there just enjoying the view, with flocks of birds flying overhead as the sun came up.
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

leese

Beef fat has to be added to ground  moose as well. Ricky is too lean. Hog sounds good, but besides moose, I'm not fond of game. Supermarket taste buds.

Jay

Quote from: leese on March 04, 2013, 01:31:28 AM
Beef fat has to be added to ground  moose as well. Ricky is too lean. Hog sounds good, but besides moose, I'm not fond of game. Supermarket taste buds.

It is totally understandable. 

As an FYI, 'redneck juice' works well on any game meat.  Especially good on deer.  I can tell the taste difference between game meat that has not been processed well.  But hell, I will eat almost any meat.  I have eaten rattlesnake, to buffalo, to warthog, to elephant, to gator, to well...some others as well.  But I am a meat lover.  :)

Emily

Wait. You're a hunter?!? I had no idea!  ||wink||

Jay

Quote from: Emily on March 04, 2013, 01:44:40 AM
Wait. You're a hunter?!? I had no idea!  ||wink||

I am a little bit of everything.   ||wink||

leese

Quote from: Jay on March 04, 2013, 01:38:28 AM

As an FYI, 'redneck juice' works well on any game meat.  Especially good on deer.  I can tell the taste difference between game meat that has not been processed well.  But hell, I will eat almost any meat.  I have eaten rattlesnake, to buffalo, to warthog, to elephant, to gator, to well...some others as well.  But I am a meat lover.  :)
Elephant!?  ||shocked|| Splain?  I haven't eaten any of those you listed, except buffalo, since they sell it in stores. Only 'irregular' mests I've had, because of my location, and past Native neighbors and friends; Black bear, walrus and seal. You don't even want to know what horror dishes are made from the last two.

Jay

Quote from: leese on March 04, 2013, 02:06:02 AM
Quote from: Jay on March 04, 2013, 01:38:28 AM

Elephant!?  ||shocked|| Splain?  I haven't eaten any of those you listed, except buffalo, since they sell it in stores. Only 'irregular' mests I've had, because of my location, and past Native neighbors and friends; Black bear, walrus and seal. You don't even want to know what horror dishes are made from the last two.

I have had bear...but never walrus or seal.

And to 'splain', I had elephant in South Africa.  It was not hunted by me.  But a private game reserve that I frequently spent the weekend at(I was dating the daughter of the owner) gave me some one night to try.  That was also where I was served warthog. 

Garja

I had bear once.  I never understood what people meant when they said something tasted "gamey" until that moment. 
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear."
~Thomas Jefferson

Lillium

Jay:

Are hogs difficult to hunt? (I've never been hunting. . .).

Quote from: Garja on March 04, 2013, 03:28:35 PM
I had bear once.  I never understood what people meant when they said something tasted "gamey" until that moment. 

Aside:

In my AP US History course, we used to play Jeopardy to study for our exams.  One of the final questions was, "What animal meat does human meat taste like?" (I'm paraphrasing there).

Apparently, it takes like bear since both species are omnivores, and a few other reasons.  I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate.  I've also heard pig be a close contender in terms of taste.
Meow?

Garja

I've heard that too.  Well, rest assured, we taste like s**t.  It's no wonder great white attacks on humans are typically rather brief.  They bite, get a taste, and spit our gamey ass out!
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear."
~Thomas Jefferson

GodsPROMISE

Garja

Thats my forehead on the left side of the screen!
~Thomas Jefferson

leese

It  goes well with the nose. Which I hope is yours. ||smiley||
Honestly, I just woke up. I paid no attention to the guy signing a book. Where was this?

Garja

Wright State University in Dayton Ohio. Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson
~Thomas Jefferson

leese

Quote from: Garja on March 09, 2013, 07:52:52 PM
Wright State University in Dayton Ohio. Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson
I realized who it was, 5 minutes after I posted and looked at the rest of the pic. I was focused on your forehead.   ||unsure||
Lucky you! What was he there to do?

Garja

Thats understandable... I do have a huge forehead!  Well... the whole head really is fantastic.

Giving a speech "10 Things to Know About the Universe". Which was really more like 15.  Anyway, he was impressed that several people were already lined up 5 hours before the speech so he came out and said hey to us (my buddy and I were 5th and 6th in line).... ended up being a crowd of 1500, plus overflow watching on tv at another location.  I was a little pissed because they had 5 rows of reserved VIP seats in front of us, but what are ya gonna do?!?! Just finished uploading a small part of the speech.

He is using the Superman comic books as a way to explain how observing the universe, and how the concept of "light years", works.  Sorry, it was just shot on my iphone, so it isn't amazing quality, but not too bad.
~Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Blackwell

You could put that in the Brush with Greatness thread. Cool stuff.
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Garja

Didn't know it existed, but I'll see if I can find it.
~Thomas Jefferson

Hemingway

Oh nice pic & video Garja! +1
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

Garja

Hem, I had such a blast!

From playing cards on the floor 5 hours before the speech, getting to shake the dudes hand (one of the few "celebrities" I actually ever cared about meeting), to laughing with him and 1500 like-minded people.  Honestly great day.  AANNNND, it immediately followed the day that I found out my first child will be a son (and is looking healthy)!  Not that a daughter would have been a bad thing or anything, but I think most men secretly want sons.  Honestly, last week was among the best in my life.
~Thomas Jefferson

urs

I dunno, Garja....most little girls I know own their daddies...I've watched many men turn to mush at the sight of their daughters. Although my husband was very excited to find out our second was a boy, and he really enjoys having a mini version of himself to play around with. Congratulations, regardless! It does sound like you've had a week of great life highlights. Good for you.

kevin

i was just pleased that all mine were definitively one or the other in their physical attributes.

i got to sex them all before anybody else had a chance to look, and it was a relief not to have any ambiguities.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Garja

I know Urs.  That whole father-daughter thing is something I am going to miss out on... at least with the first one (even though my family has a tradition of producing only males, there has only been 1 female with my last name since 1960, and I think that may be the only one since the 40s).  We will see what the future brings.
~Thomas Jefferson

kevin

just get busy

. . . and thick and fast they came at last, and more and more and more . . .

that's how i got two of them
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Shylala

-Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.

Maggie the Opinionated

Well, look who's here! Great to see you again, S. What have you been up to?

Jay

Hemingway

Good to see you back shy
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

Shylala

Ive missed you guys. Working hard on getting my bachelor's degree, hopefully ill have it by the end of this semester. Lots of ups and downs in college,  but life in general is good. Keeping myself busy with 100 different things, which mostly consist of surrounding myself with great people. I just forgot for a while that my internetfriends (aka you guys) are fantastic as well , so i hope to come back here more often.
-Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.