News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Karma's back online!

Started by Assyriankey, January 12, 2009, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwixen

So what is the proper terminology for those living there before the Israeli state? Or are you saying it is now used for a purpose unworthy of it's origianl intent/meaning.

Auzzie....aren't all conflicts multidimensional? How can you say that this is happening now because of something that happened a month ago? is not the crux more important than the squirmishes that follow?
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

rakhel

The jews don't want to see that it applies to them because it is a regional designation rather than a national one, which is what Israel is supposed to mean. It is now meant as an insult to Jews to call them Palestinian. As to the Arab population...thats a tough one. Arafat had it right, but he used to his advantage to further a cause that was to annihilate a people that at first had no problem living next to them, for the most part, in peace.
There are two ways to slide easily through life:
to believe everything or to doubt everything;
both ways save us from thinking.-Alfred Korzybski

catwixen

I did not know the jews were referred to as Palestinians. Is that what you are saying? I thought the palestinians were the enemies of the jews in Israel. Please excuse my ignorance...I do feel strongly with the information i have but am not quite sure if it is the correct information.....so hesitant to make assertions when i do not know if they are true. Also it seems in this whole issue that many different versions are seen as true....so it is very difficult to know who is correct.

rakhel

Shortly after the Bar Kobah revolt in or around 135 CE, the Roman government called the region Philistia. Most of the residents called the area Palestine and were called Palestinian by the Ottoman Empire. I can show Jewish texts that state as much. the residents included everything from Jew to Muslim to Druze and even the few Christians that were in the area
Before, during, and after WWI, different letters, bills and promises were made to both Jewish and Arab leaders about the land which is called Israel now. Some state the land will be Jewish, others Arab, still other didn't state, explicitly, who was to govern the land. There were parades, protests, and mass murders all over the region.
In 1948, Jewish militants claimed victory over the British and renamed the land Israel. By this time, Arab leaders from surrounding countries told the Arab residents to leave on the promise that they could return later.
I don't know what they called themselves prior to Arafat reclaiming the name. Most of what you read now just uses the word Palestinian whether that was the case or not. It is something I will have to look into.

have my revolts backwards. the great Jewish revolt was in 70 CE. Bar kohba was in 135CE. Sorry

catwixen

Palestine was in use 70 CE...please can you explain what CE means?
So it was used for the state of Israel for a long time?

rakhel

CE current era.
yep. only it didn't just apply to Israel. Jordan also carries the distinction of being a Palestinian state.

catwixen

So 70 current era would mean....what?

rakhel

example this year is 2009CE or AD.
lol I used to think that AD meant after death and BC meant before christ. I guess because that is what I was told. i don't even remember if that was in school or church

BCE is before current era

rakhel

have my revolts backwards. the great Jewish revolt was in 70 CE. Bar kohba was in 135CE. Sorry

rickymooston

Quote from: rakhel on January 15, 2009, 12:40:18 PM
BCE is before current era

Its a bit of a lie though.

I'd call a spade a spade, leave it AD., BC.

Of course, if one is american, they could start 911 as year one.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

rakhel

BC AD. pluto is and always was a planet

rickymooston

Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

rakhel

I mean really...
My
Very
Educated
Mother
Just
Sold
Us
Nine
what?

rickymooston

Quote from: rakhel on January 16, 2009, 12:57:00 PM
I mean really...
My
Very
Educated
Mother
Just
Sold
Us
what?

I heard they were going to get rid of Neptune too

rakhel

Dexter

"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land