Started by Dexter, January 11, 2009, 12:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexter

Minister for loneliness?

"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

GratefulApe

Part of the music I grew up with. My Mom, Dad, Uncles, Grams, Aunts, Uncles, friends would take turns having parties in the barn, at the campfire with music blaring from the Pole Barn, inside the house, in the yard. My dad was a master of hooking up sound equipment.  You name it they could find a place to have many parties and get together for some good times. Best part for us and my many cousins was they forgot about our bedtime. lol 

Charlie Walker - Don't Squeeze My Sharmon

Dexter

Wow 1967, and what a great recording. Must be remastered stereo.

Here is a perplexing story from Australia.

eyeshaveit

Conway and Loretta - You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly

Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

GratefulApe

Nice cover.

The Band Perry - Gentle On My Mind

Dexter

Ozwald

Dexter

Dexter

bad actor

Sorry if this has already been posted... I haven't kept up with this thread.

I remember years ago walking up to a friends truck to talk to him and he was listening to a country song. I'm not a big country fan, but any kind of music can grab me. On his radio I heard a man singing and I took notice. I had to know who it was.

That man was Keith Whitley. He was a rising star and had everything to live for. Was successful as a musician, married to another country star Lorrie Morgan...

He was a heavy alcoholic from an early age and he struggled with it his whole life. He used to tie his leg to his wife's when they went to bed at night in order to fight the urge... It was that bad. At the height of his career he found himself alone for a bit. He and his brother had plans for the next morning... His brother found him dead. He drank himself to death.

This is song just oozes feeling. It's a sad song and it could not have been sung better.

Don't close your eyes... by Mr. Whitley.

Maybe the day had a s**tty you.

Ozwald

OMG!

Bad Actor, I just saw in another thread where you talked about going out to see some country music and you posted a video link for the Kentucky Head Hunters and that instantly took me back to my early teens. I remember being at a girlfriends house and looking through her parents tape collection. Her mother had the usual stuff like Conway Twitty, Hank Williams, Dolly Parton and Patsy Cline but two bands stood out to me because I had never heard of them. One was Creedence Clear Water Revival and the other one scared me just by the name. I quickly discovered that I had heard many songs by Creedence on the radio but I just never paid attention to the name of the band. I did not give the Kentucky Head Hunters a listen because I simply did not like the name of the band. I was much older when I finally heard one of their songs by accident and liked it. It was the same shock I had when I first learned the name of the band who sung 'Flirting With Disaster'. Molly Hatchet? With a name like that and the album covers they had I always assumed it was going to be angry music. I was similarly skeptical when another friend first introduced me to Widespread Panic. The sound was not what I expected it to be based on the name of the band.

This is one of the reasons I like being a part of a diverse community. I never know when someone will share something that will trigger pleasant memories or make me think about things in a different way.

I am enjoying reading through past conversations and current ones and I am enjoying this thread and a few others that are more personal and lighthearted. I like your perspective and personality.

bad actor

^^^ Cool. When I was younger, and living in Southern California... I was a shipping clerk for a company called Groove Tubes/GT Electronics. They sold matched power tubes for tube guitar amps... The GT Electronics divisions was custom high end amps. Since I was a guitar player, I loved it. The owner had one of the largest and most impressive collections of tube amps in the world. Most of them were on display in the shop.

Because of this, clients would visit and want to check them out. One of the bands that stopped by were the Kentucky Headhunters and they were way cool guys. We played their CD in the shop all the time.. ||smiley||

The owner sold the company to Alesis? I think that is who bought it.

bad actor

Quote from: Ozwald on July 08, 2018, 04:20:02 AM

I am enjoying reading through past conversations and current ones and I am enjoying this thread and a few others that are more personal and lighthearted. I like your perspective and personality.

Thanks, and likewise. ||smiley||

Sometimes folks join forums and are all business and never really venture out of the serious conversations. I think it's nice to get away from all the seriousness and shoot the breeze. That way, you remember that there is a real living breathing human being on the other end of that keyboard.

It's nice to have a heated disagreement in one thread, and yet be able to lighten things up in another... I think anyway.

Glad you are here.

Dexter

GratefulApe

Slim Harpo Baby, Scratch My Back

eyeshaveit

Zac Brown Band - 'Sic 'em on a Chicken'

GratefulApe

Bishop Bullwinkle Hell To Da Naw,Naw,Naw With Da Bicycle

I don't know how I found this one but it makes me laugh. The comments on the video are a hoot.

eyeshaveit

Willie Nelson - Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die:

eyeshaveit

Hoosier Hotshots - I Like Banana's Because They Have No Bones:

GratefulApe

John Prine: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

GratefulApe

People Get Old (Official Music Video) | Lori McKenna

GratefulApe

(You Never Can Tell) C'est La Vie - Emmylou Harris | Full HD |

eyeshaveit

Country Bob covers Emmylou Harris:

GratefulApe

I don't know much about Carolina but I found this song. Today at a fall festival there was a live band performing this song down by the antique tractors. I think it was this song.

I'm Coming Home (Back to Carolina)

GratefulApe

Tedeschi Trucks Band - "Midnight in Harlem" (Live on eTown)

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Angel From Montgomery/Sugaree

Dexter

Angel from Montgomery is a great song.

GratefulApe

Quote from: Dexter on October 16, 2018, 01:13:34 PM
Angel from Montgomery is a great song.

Yes I like the song. I'm not certain what it all means but that is part of why I like it. It's a little cloaked. I think that's the right word.  I liked the cover I posted because I had never heard a flute introduced into it.

GratefulApe

I just found this very funny song because I had to look up how to spell the phrase Times a wasting or wastin.

hahahhahaha

Time's a wastin (Joaquin & Reese)

GratefulApe

Lori McKenna - Humble & Kind

GratefulApe

Young and Angry Again (Official Music Video) | Lori McKenna