You own wisdom thread --- say something quotable about whatever you want.

Started by rickymooston, January 01, 2009, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wabbit111

"You can safely assume you've created God in you're own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do"

Anne Lamott 
Don't quote me on that........

Maria-Juana

QuoteAnyone who insults another, can bring down the whole tone of the place and then, for want of a better term, 'the gentler souls', leave and don't come back and then it becomes a fight between the arseholes and the remaining thicker skinned members which can end up in a downward spiral leading to the demise of the forum.

—Chris
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Emma286

"The more hurt and defensive someone gets against verbal attacks the more likely that to some degree this has validated one or more negative beliefs they hold about themselves."

Really a variation of a quote someone else already shared with me. I'd normally list it here but I do not know who the author is!
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

kevin

Quote from: Maria-Juana on December 02, 2023, 05:50:06 PMAnd there's a difference between murder committed by everyday thugs and gang members on the streets and murder committed by a governmen, like Israel.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

kevin

Quote from: Kiahanie on December 06, 2023, 06:50:25 PMDiscussion of "objective" truth/morals/etc is daydreaming unless an accessible source of objectivity is identified.

Kiahanie

Quote from: kevin on December 30, 2023, 02:14:43 AMin my opinion, if you cannot see two sides in this [Gaza] conflict, you have failed in what it means to be a human being.
!
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

Quote from: dutchy on January 14, 2024, 08:58:11 PMI have no horse in this race, but Christian morals have been as fluid as society's morals.
What used to be labeled as 'sin' within Christianity is called a 'unique personal journey of faith' now.

kevin

Quote from: 8livesleft on January 30, 2024, 11:11:59 PMWith satan, you just have to think it. While god needs you to speak/show it through prayer - otherwise, why bother?

And then Satan's reply is typically direct and instant while God's could likely be cryptic, indirect, clouds and tea leaves, mysterious ways.

So, satan understands and can communicate with all people while God's method seemingly only works for a certain type of person or small group of people.

It makes you wonder really.

Maria-Juana

Quote from: kevin on January 30, 2024, 11:52:34 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on January 30, 2024, 11:11:59 PMWith satan, you just have to think it. While god needs you to speak/show it through prayer - otherwise, why bother?

And then Satan's reply is typically direct and instant while God's could likely be cryptic, indirect, clouds and tea leaves, mysterious ways.

So, satan understands and can communicate with all people while God's method seemingly only works for a certain type of person or small group of people.

It makes you wonder really.

QuoteWith satan, you just have to think it.
This explains everything!!

Not today satan.
Not today.
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Kiahanie

"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Maria-Juana

Quote from: dutchy on February 08, 2024, 12:28:56 AM...Sometimes i just want to play the piano, because i can translate my emotions in a way that language cannot.

I think language is a mere translation of a deeper language we cannot fully express in ordinary words...
||cool||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Kiahanie

kevin

kevin

Quote from: 8livesleft on March 15, 2024, 06:16:43 AMReading other people's stories about other peoples stories about other peoples stories about what they supposedly saw a couple thousand years ago - yet have never ever happened again - is a tough thing to simply accept.

kevin

Quote from: dutchy on March 24, 2024, 06:33:16 AMFurthermore ALL gospels are written in a time when Christian theology already developed.
They did not shy away from 'reversed engineering'. Meaning that new theology from the latter parts of the first century are leading in the gospels (foremost John) . 

Maria-Juana

Quote from: 8livesleft on March 30, 2024, 12:00:53 PMMAY GOD BLESS YOU LIKE THE BLAZING SUN ON A HOT DAY IN THE DESERT, EMBRACE YOU LIKE A SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE WOULD VIOLENTLY SWALLOW A SMALL MOON AND SHOWER YOU WITH HIS ENDLESS LOVE LIKE A TORRENTIAL RAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF A TSUNAMI
—Amen.
||cheesy||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Dexter

Quote from: Maria-Juana on March 30, 2024, 11:22:27 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on March 30, 2024, 12:00:53 PMMAY GOD BLESS YOU LIKE THE BLAZING SUN ON A HOT DAY IN THE DESERT, EMBRACE YOU LIKE A SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE WOULD VIOLENTLY SWALLOW A SMALL MOON AND SHOWER YOU WITH HIS ENDLESS LOVE LIKE A TORRENTIAL RAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF A TSUNAMI
—Amen.
||cheesy||
Cthulu - No lives matter
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Maria-Juana

Quote from: Dexter on March 31, 2024, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: Maria-Juana on March 30, 2024, 11:22:27 PM
—Amen.
||cheesy||
Cthulu - No lives matter

"Cthulhu for President: Why settle for the lesser evil?"

"Legalize human sacrifice"
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

kevin

Quote from: none on March 31, 2024, 06:50:51 PM. . . oh the horror, and someody said to me Jesus was gonna be angry when he came back..
I almost said you should have seen him when he left...

Emma286

"Giving genuinely wanted and needed help to somebody as realistic is one thing. But to avoid toxic codependent habits that help nobody do your best not to offer help to anyone who does not truly want it and/or which you are not in any realistic position to offer/give. Pointing them in the right direction of better help available elsewhere (in case they change their minds later) may be worth trying but beyond this it is wasted time and energy trying to do the impossible".
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Emma286

It's rare that I think of my own philosophical quote ideas. However, I came up with this one the other day so thought I'd share here:

"Accepting things as they are and flowing with life as water is often helpful. But some rigidity also has value. It can sometimes be the yang to water flow's yin. Neither can exist without the other. Both can complement each other."

Albert Einstein

Dexter

I had to do a double take. I first read that as "neither can do without the otter" I will get my glasses checked.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Emma286

Quote from: Dexter on April 08, 2024, 03:18:43 AMI had to do a double take. I first read that as "neither can do without the otter" I will get my glasses checked.
Haha no worries Dexter. Hoping all goes well on the glasses check front!

Albert Einstein

Maria-Juana

QuoteQuote from: Kiahanie on 4/15/2024, 9:54:21 PM

Life takes many forms without asking our permission. Hard to keep up sometimes.

Reminds me of the song:
You Gotta Be
By: Des'ree

Quote...Time asks no questions, it goes on without you
Leaving you behind if you can't stand the pace
The world keeps on spinning
Can't stop it if you tried to...

||cool||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

kevin

Quote from: dutchy on May 04, 2024, 05:21:05 PMSo if God talks like a parent/teacher, why did he set up a trap that we modern humans understand would be to easy to fall into ?
Good parents and teachers never 'test' their children/pupils this way.
They test them like good parents/teachers do and don't set up a trap.