News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

You own wisdom thread --- say something quotable about whatever you want.

Started by rickymooston, January 01, 2009, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nateswift

Quote from: nateswift on April 20, 2012, 03:59:44 PM
No, that would be trying to do everything from a standpoint of concern for all involved...a tough thing to do given the characteristics of some of the people involved.

Sorry about that, Ricky, I just had to.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Tish

Quote from: rickymooston on April 20, 2012, 11:46:09 AM
Love is not easily described. Christians claim there are 5 Greek words that translate to the single English word love but I'm unsure which of those is used in the bible verse penned by the apostle Paul. Given that the verse is apparently describing God, I am pretty sure that the term referring to erotic love is not intended. It is therefore interesting, that this selfless love is often presented at weddings. An ideal marriage's love is seen as more than just the beautiful erotic love portrayed in the song of songs.

As I write this, I remember the first time my wife kissed me. I was slated to return to Canada. We had traveled together quite a bit but in fact our deepest bonds had been formed before we ever met in person. She was my best friend for 4 years and her supportive voice kept me sane through some trying times. Some others who observed us could perceive the romantic tension that was there. When you kiss your best friend, it is not a casual thing. A best friend is somebody you trust and whom you do not want to lose. She had just been crying. It was not just a kiss; it encapsulated the emotions that lead to our marriage. When I consider the trials we have already been through, I recall the message in that kiss. The thought of us not being in each others' lives is unbearable.

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Argyle on April 21, 2012, 07:51:59 PM

OMG! I think I'm about to die laughing.. oh man QM.. I'm not sure how much more of this hilariously self-important provocation I can take.
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Happy Evolute

Quote from: composer on April 23, 2012, 09:29:58 AM
Atheists having died on the various Battle-Fields put your Story book god to absolute shame for they died and genuinenly sacrificed themselves ' selflessly for both believer and non-believer ' with absolutely no expectations of any rewards, human or divine.

Conversely this alleged ' trinitarian god that made a (ahem) sacrifice ' did so fraudulently ' (e.g. Deut. 24:16 & Ezek. 18:20) and its motivation was one of selfishness to get back asap (3 days later, LOL! apparently?) to being in its former privileged position once again having sacrificed nothing to compare with the genuine sacrifices of those Atheists!

The fundamental motivation of ALL those ' self-acclaimed jesus' believers ' is yet again one of selfish greed and lust for potential divine rewards as opposed to those Atheists had NO lust for divine rewards but genuinely sacrificed all they had for both believer & non-believer!

Story book trinitarian jesus is a selfish bastard & disgrace in comparison!
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

QuestionMark

καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει

Happy Evolute

Quote from: jetson on April 24, 2012, 09:44:24 PM
You LOVE the story, you LOVE the character, and thus you simply cannot see beyond your own personal delusion.

Happy Evolute

kevin

Quote from: rickymooston on May 06, 2012, 05:24:34 PM

. . . This forum tries to treat people fairly, regardless of their beliefs and regardless of the strength of the supporting arguments for those beliefs. If you are capable of defending a poster whose logic and posts you totally disagree with, then you may be a good mod here.

dare to know.

rickymooston

"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

rickymooston

Quote from: jawood on May 08, 2012, 09:59:14 PM
I agree with you about minimum sentencing Jay. It's a bad idea to not give the judge leeway even when judges have let people off light in really bad cases. We have them as judges for a reason.
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

kevin

Quote from: Ladyofshallott on May 14, 2009, 05:30:44 AM
oh...and one of my strong aspects is that I do have teeth..my original ones...and I even brush them on the days I wear shoes.  ||razz||
dare to know.

kevin

Quote from: Jay on May 13, 2012, 05:14:19 AM

You want to report me for a video of a dead cat getting poked by a stick, but you think it is okay to post videos of a dead mouse being used as a golf ball?   ||Kerly||

dare to know.

Argyle

Quote"When the pancreas fails to produce insulin, there is no shame in taking insulin to compensate for it's lost function.  Many people do not feel the same way about regulating mood with anti-depressants for reasons that appear quite distinct from any concern about potential side effects." - Sam Harris, (The Moral Landscape ch2)

^^^ A great line from Sam while making the case that mind/body dualism can in some cases effectively reduce or eliminate our capacity for compassion in regards to mental illness.
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts,

rickymooston

Quote from: Gill on May 15, 2012, 02:01:14 AM
No.  I'm saying if I assume physicalism true, then it metaphysically binds ToE to E.   But then the truth of ToE becomes ambiguous since it's a product of E, which is a product of the physical.  Therefore there* must exist something non-physical that can examine the truth value of ToE, not bound by E.

rickymooston

Quote from: Jay on May 18, 2012, 03:41:07 PM
Well guess what.  Registration and testing before someone used their First Amendment rights to free speech would 'help' also.  It doesnt mean it should be mandated by the government.

Human beings have RIGHTS for a reason.  A right is not a privilege, which is handed out by the government when they see fit to agree with it.

rickymooston

Quote from: jawood on May 18, 2012, 01:51:44 AM
My best defense as an American is moderate exercise and a good diet. Keep a good weight and watch the fats. I will live a long life here that way. I think it's funny when gun nuts go on about safety and defense and then get in their car. Do you know how dangerous just driving your car down the road is statistically? How many car accidents have you been in or seen compared to how many gun battle you have witnesses, let alone been in?

rickymooston

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on May 20, 2012, 03:18:15 AM
Governments have suppressed certain ideas or inventions that would help mankind in favor of not destroying the economy.  A lot could be done to help the environment if the primary concern was not how this would affect the oil industry, which I work in, and therefore the economy.  I think the whole system just needs an overhaul from the bottom up.

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on May 20, 2012, 04:31:06 AM
That's the tricky thing about vaccines: the more people get vaccinated, the safer it is to be unvaccinated.  In other words, this decision only works if only a few people are making it.

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Coffin Dancer on May 20, 2012, 10:48:18 PM
As of this post I am done with this religious bulls**t and removing all forums concerning this crap from my bookmarks had enough of it for the last 5 years. Good luck all.

rickymooston

B
Quote from: catwixen on May 21, 2012, 12:50:10 AM
I remember when quite young, I hurt somebody by being a bully. (yeah I was a b***h of a child).....something changed in me forever when I saw confusion and hurt in this persons eyes. I never wanted to cause that look in anyone else
hh

JustMyron

Quote from: kevin on May 18, 2012, 01:21:45 AM
waiting is overrated, in my opinion.

there are times when waiting for clearness is appropriate, and there are times when it's better to act first and see what clearness comes afterwards.

if you have a mule train, and they all lie down, you can patiently wait for them to get up and move on down the trail. or you can start whacking them with a stick until it's more painful for them to stay lying down than to move.

deciding which is the correct leading is the problem.

rickymooston

Quote from: Jay on May 21, 2012, 06:44:36 PM
I will firmly admit, I do like guns.  They are fine pieces of machinery.  And they are a good investment too.

You can call me a 'gun nut' if you wish, but I would call it a strong advocate of the entire US Constitution.  Everyone here knows I am a Libertarian, and if you have not realized it yet, a Constitutionalists.  So my support of 2A goes in line with my support of the entire document.  If that makes me a 'gun nut', so be it.  It would also make me a 'free speech nut'.  A 'freedom of religion nut'.  A 'no illegal search and seizure nut.  A 'right to due process nut'. A 'right to a fair and speedy trial nut'  and the list could go on and on.

In regards to the particulars of this case though, besides from the obvious problems I have had from the get go, ie, a trial by media and the possibility that the jury pool, as well as the witnesses are being tampered with in this case, my concern is not Zimmerman's gun, but his right to self-defense.

rickymooston

Like this one ..
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on May 21, 2012, 08:29:47 PM

You might say that gated communities are a symptom of a failed (or failing) society.

I also read somewhere that there is a positive correlation between the amount of security a person has in their home and how anxious they feel i.e more security, more anxiety.

The idea is that if one has four locks on the front door, CCTV and a gun by one's bed, every daily interaction with those objects reminds one of the dangers they imply - which stimulates anxiety.

Creating an extra level of security around a group of homes compounds the problem.

rickymooston

Jj
Quote from: leese on May 21, 2012, 10:07:18 PM
Doctors should not be making that decision.If the patient is incompetent and beyond any hope for life but years of breathing and feeding tubes as their body contracts into a permanent fetal position; the family or guardian should make the decision. If the person has neither of these, then the process of deciding this should be open and decided on very stringent guidelines to remove life support. Actual euthanasia where a drug is administered to hasten death should never be given to those that have not requested it.
jjj

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Airyaman on May 24, 2012, 11:42:45 AM
"Anti-theists" can't accept that a perfect god exists, so some theists lower the standards.

Can't say I didn't see it coming.

kevin

dare to know.

kevin

Quote from: Ladyofshallott on April 27, 2009, 07:13:00 PM
I posed nude for some anorexic starving artists.............................it worked. (Barf, spit, wipe, Barf, toilet cling, wipe).  The worst part was seeing the blind ones accidenty stick their paint brushes down their throats instead.  Never, did get paid for that gig. lol lol lol

Totaly made up all of the above.  ||grin||
dare to know.

rickymooston

kevin

dare to know.

Hemingway

Quote from: QuestionMark on May 02, 2012, 06:03:56 AM
Argyle,
You have the absurd patience of someone who can't stand to be wrong. So when you don't even attempt something, I know I'm right and there's nothing you can do about it.
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"