News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

X-Files

Started by rickymooston, September 24, 2008, 11:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to contribute to, participate in, or simply spectate in a Private "Experiments" Board?

Yes. (ID yourself below)
18 (81.8%)
No thanks.
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

rickymooston

I hope that is o.k.

I understand you don't want to clutter up the forum with boards but it might add to the fun.

Once we have good results, we might open a "experiment group" results thread.

Anybody, interested is welcome to join.

;-).
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

hideousmonster

I have zero experience with member groups.  How do they work?
I'm hideousmonster, and I approve of these spelling errors.

seka

A member group is the same thing Assy was suggesting earlier. You get together 12 members and request a member group. Then, you get your own board to do whatever you want. The only thing is that, as Assy mentioned earlier, this group is private.

Which, considering the types of replies you might expect to get with doing these experiments, might not be that bad of a thing.

And, as Ricky said, you could form a single ongoing thread in "anything you like" where you can post your experiment results.

hideousmonster

Quote from: seka on September 24, 2008, 12:59:05 PM
A member group is the same thing Assy was suggesting earlier. You get together 12 members and request a member group. Then, you get your own board to do whatever you want. The only thing is that, as Assy mentioned earlier, this group is private.

Which, considering the types of replies you might expect to get with doing these experiments, might not be that bad of a thing.

And, as Ricky said, you could form a single ongoing thread in "anything you like" where you can post your experiment results.

Okay, I don't like the private part, but how do you go about forming such a group?  Do you post a poll or something asking people to vote for a "request this group" option?

seka

Just get ten more people who are interested in joining, and once you have the full 12, one of the Admins will make a member group. Since everyone has to be a voluntary member, it would probably be best if all of them made a comment in this thread expressing their interest.

This board is the right place for making the request for the private group, as ricky has done  :)

catwixen

I will put my hand up to join if I don't have to experiment...I prefer to watch...tee hee.  ||popcorn||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

hideousmonster

Ricky and I are trying to attract and keep track of support for our Member Group "Experiments."  We need twelve yes votes, and for everyone who voted yes to identify themselves.  Basically the group will share information about experiments that can be easily performed in your own home, we'll also propose new experiments, and try to conduct some, and document the progress and results here. We're looking for experiments that indicate phenomenon which appear (at least on the surface) to be exceptions to the rules of established scientific understanding of the universe and consciousness.

If you're in, say so and vote yes, so we can keep a numerical track of the support the group gets.

catwixen

Aye aye capt'n, I would like to join as a spectator.
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Assyriankey

Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Mooby the Golden Sock

I don't really care either way, but I'll say YES so you get your numbers up.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Vynn

Seems like an excellent idea. Count me in as well.  ||thumbs||
Signature deleted by mods

Auz

It's a tentative yes from me, but I'd mainly be a spectator. I'm interested in how this all works out, if you guys manage someway to thwart Cod's criticisms, then more power to you...
Never Remember To Always Forget.

hideousmonster

The point won't be to show definitive proof, but to demonstrate supposed "paranormal phenomenon" or at least to attempt to investigate them through first-hand experimentation. I invite Cod to participate especially, because we need everyone we can to point out possible holes, so we might be able to seal them, or confirm that they aren't there.  Furthermore, the more skeptical the participant, the better, as far as I'm concerned. If, for instance, someone can demonstrate a telepathic aptitude, I'm sure all of us are going to want to say, "Yeah, right! Try it on me!" I know I would.

Ashe

I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I have two "homes." I'm in my dorm and oftentimes I go home on weekends...so...if either of these are helpful, then yeah, I'll do it.

rickymooston

Quote from: Ashe on September 25, 2008, 03:47:48 AM
I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I have two "homes." I'm in my dorm and oftentimes I go home on weekends...so...if either of these are helpful, then yeah, I'll do it.

Awesome. Who knows, one day when your friends pull out the tarot cards you might think of something too. Anyway extremely happy to have you aboard.

Quote from: Auzzie Souldi3r on September 25, 2008, 12:02:12 AM
It's a tentative yes from me, but I'd mainly be a spectator. I'm interested in how this all works out, if you guys manage someway to thwart Cod's criticisms, then more power to you...

Well, we will take critisms on case by case basis of course but you are extremely welcome as a spectator too. In order for Cod to critisize or create experiments, he would have to sign up here. I hope he does.  Who knows, mabye he'll have an inspiration to try one of Randy's experiments.

Quote from: hideousmonster on September 25, 2008, 12:47:45 AM
The point won't be to show definitive proof, but to demonstrate supposed "paranormal phenomenon" or at least to attempt to investigate them through first-hand experimentation. I invite Cod to participate especially, because we need everyone we can to point out possible holes, so we might be able to seal them, or confirm that they aren't there.  Furthermore, the more skeptical the participant, the better, as far as I'm concerned. If, for instance, someone can demonstrate a telepathic aptitude, I'm sure all of us are going to want to say, "Yeah, right! Try it on me!" I know I would.

I'm glad you got lots of ideas. It will be fun to test against the expected value etc. We will have to take case by case. Keep it in good fun but certainly take
good advice from people and their analysis if/when we get positive results.
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

rickymooston

Quote from: seka on September 25, 2008, 01:42:34 PM
As a spectator only.

Awesome!!!

We won't ask the gypsy to look for her grandmother's crystal ball? ;-). ( ||666||  <--- kidding.)

Thanks for your support.  ||cheesy||

Ashe

rickymooston

Quote from: Ashe on September 25, 2008, 02:40:54 PM
Haha, I do have Tarot cards, so who knows.  ||grin||

;-).

No dorm is complete without them, especially a girls dorm.  Have you ever watched the movie Escaflowne? (They have Tarot cards in that show; I almost got them for my niece.)

cmarie

I'm in too. :)

I have tarot cards also, haha. A GF made me dig them out not long ago when we were kind of drunk and we laughed so hard playing with them! It was hilarious.

But for the record, I am a skeptic.
The highest point a man can attain is not knowledge, or virtue, or goodness, or victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing:
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

rickymooston

Quote from: cmarie on September 25, 2008, 03:22:09 PM
I'm in too. :)

I have tarot cards also, haha. A GF made me dig them out not long ago when we were kind of drunk and we laughed so hard playing with them! It was hilarious.

But for the record, I am a skeptic.

Awesome.  ||beerchug||

Ashe

Quote from: rickymooston on September 25, 2008, 02:52:15 PM

;-).

No dorm is complete without them, especially a girls dorm.  Have you ever watched the movie Escaflowne? (They have Tarot cards in that show; I almost got them for my niece.)

Can't say I have. I don't even think I've heard of it.

rickymooston

Quote from: Ashe on September 25, 2008, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: rickymooston on September 25, 2008, 02:52:15 PM

;-).

Can't say I have. I don't even think I've heard of it.

If you like anime, its surprisingly addicting, although ... the animation quality is not the best. Story is good.

hideousmonster

To help move this approval process along, I'm going to make a list of some experiments I'm considering performing and documenting for the proposed group.

1. Party Levitation: I know this one works sometimes, because I've done it before. It requires the physical presence of five people, four of whom seem to lower the gravitational pull the earth has on the fifth person.  I've found explanations on the internet. The most popular one is the "human diamagnetism" explanation, but I'm skeptical about that, because I've found no experiments that confirm the effect is diamagnetic rather than some other unknown force. I hope that other members of this group will conduct their own experiments with this effect with their own friends, so that we can get a more concrete understanding of what causes it. One of the most interesting things I noticed about it is that it didn't always work. As though the effect's strength depended on where it was performed, or perhaps some other unknown factor. It would literally work in one room,a nd then not work in a room thirty feet away. The only thing more insane that trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results is trying the same thing repeatedly and actually getting different results.

2. Astral Projection or Out of Body Experiences: I have more than one book that give advice on how to accomplish this. They pretty much all involve many weeks of daily meditation, and recording dreams in a diary. One of them is a 90-day course. Unfortunately my patience hasn't exactly been strong enough to commit to these programs, because I'm not a very goal-oriented, self-motivated person. However, I'm hoping that knowing there are people out there monitoring my progress through this forum, will serve as that extra boost of motivation I need to keep going until I get some intriguing results. Once I've begun getting the effect that they claim I should get, as a group we can all begin to come up with experiments designed to test whether it's just a delusion of the mind or an actual mind-projecting phenomenon.

3. Spoon and Fork Bending: I understand that a few people who have claimed to be able to soften silverware with their minds have since admitted to faking it, and others seem to look like they're faking it on video. But still, those who still say they've actually done it, at least explain how they claim to do it, and because of the simplicity of the experiment, I think it might be worth attempting, especially after some of us have gone through some of the other meditative experiments, and perhaps improved our ability to accomplish the deed, if it really is possible. I've tried it before with no positive results, but if meditation improves the results, then maybe after doing some of the other experiments, I'll do better with this one.

4. Window to the Other Side: There is an ancient practice of stairing into a reflective surface in a dimly lit room, and receiving visions of deceased people and future events. One man explains in detail how to set up such an effect, using a large mirror, a black blanket, and an candle or adjustible lamp. I want to see what these people are seeing, and come up with experiments meant to hint at their cause.

5. Animal Communication: I have a book about this, too. It's by a self-described animal communicator named Amelia Kinkade, and is a wonderful read. It's full of Christian ideas, which makes it particularly difficult to adapt to my own beliefs, but it also includes some scientific terminology like brainwave frequencies and such, but you can tell this was written by a Christian and not a scientist.  It really makes you look at animals in a new light, though. It tries to explain how a person can telepathically communicate with animals, and provides a basic tutorial. Anyway, I tried once to adapt all the prayers and theistic jargon to language a little more scientific, so that I could try to talk to my dog.  I even thought of an experiment that could in theory confirm whether or not my dog was hearing my thoughts. I didn't get very far, but one morning, after I'd fallen asleep trying to meditate with my dog, I woke up next to him to the sound of my own name being called very loudly to me in the voice of what sounded like a child. It could have been my imagination, but it sounded louder and more clear than any voice I can ever remember dreaming or imagining before. It was as though my brain was acting like it was getting information from my ears, but my ears themselves were not part of the process.  Very strange.  Anyway, I hope to go further with that book, and perhaps try to reproduce the effect, and reattempt that experiment I'd thought of.

rickymooston

Interesting HM. Some of these things sound a bit tricky to test but I think might be fun.

I've been dying to work on the card/reading both in person and online.

I'm also curious to test some people's ability to read faces and other tells with respect to cards.  My hipothothesis is that some people might be able to do better if the can get a read on a person or discern some kind of patterns to work with.

Vynn

All very interesting ideas. Count me in if i can help in any way.

(I'm quite skeptical though, so you might want to factor in that variable however you need to. -- For example, you may want to try the same experiment with people who are less skeptical, and then try the same experiment with people who are more skeptical.)
Signature deleted by mods

hideousmonster

Oh, I assure you, I'm every bit as skeptical as anyone else. There's a difference between doubting a claim and rejecting a claim. One is the reaction of a skeptic, while the other is the reaction of a dogmatist.

rickymooston

Quote from: Vynn on September 26, 2008, 04:31:26 PM
All very interesting ideas. Count me in if i can help in any way.

(I'm quite skeptical though, so you might want to factor in that variable however you need to. -- For example, you may want to try the same experiment with people who are less skeptical, and then try the same experiment with people who are more skeptical.)

||grin||

Traveler

Sure, why not. I have five dogs if you need more guinea pigs for your animal communication experiments.  ||wink||
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

hideousmonster

Has everyone interested voted yes, because I'm still showing nine.