Describing another member as lying

Started by Assyriankey, December 20, 2008, 06:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assyriankey

Hi all, during the last month or so there have been several instances where one member says that another member is lying.

After some debate amongst the moderators and staff of this forum we have decided that the statement "You are lying." (and similar derivatives) is 100% equivalent with calling that member a liar and this means that saying that a member is lying breaks our rule #6 - No insults.

Rephrased:  do not describe another member as lying or you will be moderated for breaking our rule #6.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

catwixen

Soooo if they are lying? Tough luck?
What if they say...Obama is a girl, can we call them a liar then?
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Assyriankey

You are not allowed to call someone a liar even if they are lying.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

rakhel

interesting to see how this will play out....... ||think||

You just have to make it that much harder, don't you? ||hammertime||
There are two ways to slide easily through life:
to believe everything or to doubt everything;
both ways save us from thinking.-Alfred Korzybski

Vynn

I don't feel right about this. When a member lies, especially about what another member has said, and you can prove that they've lied, this rule lets them off scott free. Why, what's to keep some members from lying their ass off about what you've previously said? When somebody claims you've said something that you've not said, calling them a liar lets them and any other readers of the thread know that you're watching what's being said about you.

An example:

Member A:  I don't think rapists should get off scott free.

Member B: Member A wants rapists to get the death penalty and i don't see how he can say that.

Member A: Well, i'd call you a liar, since i didn't say that, but it's against the rules. I guess i'll just reply that Member B IS a rapist. After all, i can't be called out on lying, because it's against the rules.
Signature deleted by mods

catwixen

It's getting a bit to watered down and nice in here......

Vynn

Quote from: catwixen on December 20, 2008, 06:32:06 AM

Catwixen eats poo.     ||razz||    (You can't say i'm lying, cat! Now do me!)
Signature deleted by mods

Assyriankey

Quote from: Vynn on December 20, 2008, 06:29:49 AM
I don't feel right about this. When a member lies, especially about what another member has said, and you can prove that they've lied, this rule lets them off scott free. Why, what's to keep some members from lying their ass off about what you've previously said? When somebody claims you've said something that you've not said, calling them a liar lets them and any other readers of the thread know that you're watching what's being said about you.

An example:

Member A:  I don't think rapists should get off scott free.

Member B: Member A wants rapists to get the death penalty and i don't see how he can say that.

Member A: Well, i'd call you a liar, since i didn't say that, but it's against the rules. I guess i'll just reply that Member B IS a rapist. After all, i can't be called out on lying, because it's against the rules.

Where is member B's intent to deceive?  Why can't you just describe member B as being in error (i.e wrong) or, as I have done once or twice, describe member B as having the comprehension skill of a jellyfish?

rakhel

Quote from: Assyriankey on December 20, 2008, 07:01:17 AM

Where is member B's intent to deceive?  Why can't you just describe member B as being in error (i.e wrong) or, as I have done once or twice, describe member B as having the comprehension skill of a jellyfish?

so insulting someone in a subtle way is ok

Assyriankey

Quote from: catwixen on December 20, 2008, 06:32:06 AM

We (the staff) are not adopting this position in an attempt to further enforce our notions of good forum behaviour on our members - we are doing it because it is the correct interpretation of our rules.  If we want to be allowed to describe someone as lying then we need to change rule #6.

Assyriankey

Quote from: I_am_a_foreigner_here on December 20, 2008, 07:03:23 AM
Quote from: Assyriankey on December 20, 2008, 07:01:17 AM

so insulting someone in a subtle way is ok

Of course it is.

6.  No Insults.  Do not personally insult other members.  Posting "Your comment is dumb/stupid/idiotic/etc because [reason]" is allowed but posting "You are dumb/stupid/idiotic/etc" is not - regardless of the reason.

rakhel

Fit2BThaied

Okay, I will no longer tell them they are lying, or that they are a liar.
                Can we say:
"I am convinced that that is not true"
"What you have just stated is unbelievable and incredible, resembling something that an untruthful person might say."
"No, you are not telling the truth."
"Actually, the evidence shows you did not tell the truth."
"Your mother consumed bovine excrement, and that is how she made you."
I am often wrong, but not always.

catwixen

LOL ^

Change rule #6 Assy, strong/insulting debate makes for a more interesting forum.  ||tip hat||

Vynn fabricates fecal matter.....
Oh and he deceives on a regular basis.  ||shocked||

Assyriankey

Quote from: Fit2BThaied on December 20, 2008, 07:09:11 AM
"I am convinced that that is not true"
"What you have just stated is unbelievable and incredible, resembling something that an untruthful person might say."
"No, you are not telling the truth."
"Actually, the evidence shows you did not tell the truth."

I think all of those are okay but I'm not a moderator.  "In war truth is so precious that she must always be accompanied by a vanguard of lies."

Assyriankey

catwixen

Hey I am simply the voice of dissent...don't shoot the protester.... ||rolleyes||

Assyriankey

Quote from: catwixen on December 20, 2008, 07:30:38 AM
Hey I am simply the voice of dissent...don't shoot the protester.... ||rolleyes||

||guns|| ||banana||

||Ben||

SkunkButt

Tell me lies
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies.

Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Nicks was awesome and that is no lie.   ||razz||
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

catwixen

^ White witches are usually awesome.  ||tip hat||

CosmicScherzo

How about, "If a liar were currently busy lying about the thing you were talking about, they would say exactly what you just said, since your statement is identical to the lie of that lying liar."? 

Does that work?
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

Assyriankey

Quote from: CosmicScherzo on December 20, 2008, 08:18:23 AM
How about, "If a liar were currently busy lying about the thing you were talking about, they would say exactly what you just said, since your statement is identical to the lie of that lying liar."? 

Does that work?

I think that's okay too :)

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Fit2BThaied on December 20, 2008, 07:09:11 AM
Can we say:

Quote"I am convinced that that is not true"

Yes.

Quote"What you have just stated is unbelievable and incredible, resembling something that an untruthful person might say."

Yes.

Quote"No, you are not telling the truth."

Yes.

Quote"Actually, the evidence shows you did not tell the truth."

Yes.

Could be considered insulting, if not obviously in jest.

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Happy Evolute

Quote from: CosmicScherzo on December 20, 2008, 08:18:23 AM

Does that work?

Yes, and +1.

See?  Having rules inspires creative thought!
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

hideousmonster

I like this rule. Mainly because I don't ever accuse anybody of lying, yet I get called a liar or told that I'm lying often, when I believe that I'm being as technically honest as I can.
I'm hideousmonster, and I approve of these spelling errors.

sky

I think the rule to not allow people to call each other "liars" is a good one. I don't automatically call people a liar. I would probably say something like.."that's not correct". Then I could prove them wrong for what they said.

Can we tell someone they are being "dishonest"?
My username is sky and my password is #####
-its yours if you want it.

hideousmonster

Quote from: sky on December 20, 2008, 03:34:11 PM
I think the rule to not allow people to call each other "liars" is a good one. I don't automatically call people a liar. I would probably say something like.."that's not correct". Then I could prove them wrong for what they said.

Can we tell someone they are being "dishonest"?

I find that just as insulting. "I disagree" is the closest thing to that that you'll get out of me. Occassionally, I'll reply to something with a, "then how do you explain this..." comment. That doesn't necessarily expose a lie, but in fact gives someone an opportunity to explain their own opinion of something which some may consider in conflict with a claim.

Cricket

It won't hurt once the pain is gone.

hideousmonster

I must clarify, though... when I say "I like this rule," what I mean is, I like the interpretation of a lie accusation as being an insult... I don't like the anti-insult rule. I think insults should all be allowed. Insults indicate insecurities and irrational thinking. While that may not be productive to a conversation, it at least makes it more clear from the beginning that the person to whom your talking is only interested in preaching their own beliefs, and belittling those who disagree with them.  To me, knowing that makes it easier to assess the value of a conversation early on. Will the conversation be insightful, annoying, or will I just have lots of fun pressing somebody's buttons by acting more civil than they, listening carefully to their insults, and continuing to disagree? The freedom to insult makes it much easier to predict what you will get out of the conversation.

Happy Evolute