Author Topic: Brand-new, and this is what I believe...  (Read 4414 times)  Share 

Offline Codswallop

• Valued Member
Re: Brand-new, and this is what I believe...
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39:15 PM »
Oh please. The only people at risk are the unvaccinated children, correct? And, the children may choose when they come of age to be vaccinated. Plus, these kids would have to travel somewhere were the diseases were in existence in order to get the disease.

It's way more complicated than that. An unvaccinated population allows the disease to survive and--wait for it--mutate! And many of the vaccines take several years to build up (remember "booster" shots?). Plus, a number of these diseases affect mostly children, so a good number of them won't live to make that choice as adults. Those who do will have to read the information pamphlets in braille, or perhaps they'll "sign" to the doctor when they're ready for their injections. Not to mention the other internal organ damage that can permanently affect the survivors of some of these horrible diseases. This is not a small matter.

As for the need to travel to disease-ridden countries, this is the USA. The world comes here. We have all kinds of diseases migrating in, legally and otherwise, every single day. Antivax propaganda in some countries takes the form of various leaders accusing western doctors of poisoning people, especially Muslims and Africans in general. Imams sometimes tell their followers  that vaccination is unnecessary because Allah will protect his people. Some African triibal leaders have declared that vaccinations will make women sterile and will make male genitalia fall off. There are huge populations of unvaccinated people all over the world, and the numbers who emigrate to the are more than sufficient to infect the unvaccinated here.

If the antivax lunacy continues to grow in this country, a critical mass  can realistically be achieved in a surprisingly short time that will create very serious public health problems for generations, and create incalculable and unnecessary suffering.

Offline Shawna

• Such a nasty
  • Valued Member
  • Regardless, God believes in You.
    • Mystics, Poets, and Fools
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:24 AM »
Hi folks.

The title of this board is Testimonials.  The subtitle is : "Describe your beliefs here. No disagreements please - implied or otherwise."

I realize I am new here, but I think that we have moved beyond the purposes of the Testimonials board.
If anyone wants to discuss vaccinations, maybe it would be better to start a new thread on a different board.  I'm not sure where it would be appropriate...

Just a few thoughts:  the pro-vaccination camp indulges in as many mythologies as the anti-vaccination camp. Fear-mongering is rampant on both sides.  You should see the chicken pox vaccination ad that shows a photo of an empty crib, and the quote from a grieving parent:  "We didn't know chicken pox would kill."

My various medical providers have been willing to work with me on this.  They seem less alarmed than English Literature majors.  By the way, Horatio, no one has ever called me loathsome or dangerous before.  Thanks... I get to add those to my adjectives life-list now.  My husband claims he has called me ignorant, but we are both having a hard time remembering when.  (That's my husband, Kevin the li'l bandit, by the way.  He says Hi.)

If anyone wants to continue this somewhere else, let me know....  Thanks.

“I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end.”
--Origen

Offline JustMyron

• Valued Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »
CAUTION: FLAME WARNING
Do not respond to this post. I find you ignorant and loathsome, and most of all dangerous.

And from the description of this board:

Describe your beliefs here. No disagreements please - implied or otherwise.

Codswallop, as an intelligent adult you are capable of understanding the importance of giving people a place to state their beliefs without people jumping down their throats. The fact that you are frustrated and angry about Shawna's views doesn't matter. There are other threads where you can express that. Almost the whole forum is fair ground for frustrated rants from anyone who wants to give them. Flaming a new member in this board is out of line.

And I just saw that while I was typing this Shawna posted something to that effect, but more diplomatically (good job, by the way). But I'm leaving this up here. In my opinion, if people can't control their tempers and act like adults, they should be called on it. There's a reason we have a function that lets us save things for later review. Cods, you claim to prize rationality, but a rational person would have held off on posting until the fury had passed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:37:35 AM by JustMyron »

Offline Jdaaawg

• Use Your Aggressive Feelings Boy
  • Valued Member
  • Let The Hate Flow Through You
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
Thank you for the lovely Welcome mat, Jdaaawg!

You're very welcome, Shawna  ||smiley||

I thought you may appreciate it.

||smiley||
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
well, currently shawna's father is dying in chicago, and she's driven off to say goodbye.

she's gone through a lot of changes over the years, and i'll see if she'll come back and say hi when she returns.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline Tom

• Valued Member
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »
well, currently shawna's father is dying in chicago, and she's driven off to say goodbye.

she's gone through a lot of changes over the years, and i'll see if she'll come back and say hi when she returns.

I am Glad that Shawna has the chance to say goodbye to her father.  In the last 8 years I have had to say goodbye to all four of the outlaws who all live to be in their 90's.

This will be a testing time for the family and hopefully the good times within the family will be remembered and the burnt bridges repaired.

I hope and pray that Shawna will know God's peace during this time and that the anchor that God provides for us all will keep her rock fast and safe until she returns.

Shalom

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
we''ll see. he died before she got there so shes spending time with family.

funeral next june, oddly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline Augusto

• Still a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
Sorry to know.

Offline Kiahanie

• Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation. -Jellaludin Rumi, valued by this
  • Valued Member
  • Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »
Peace and Light be with you, Shawna, and with your family.
If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet … maybe we could understand something. --Federico Fellini

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 11:10:11 PM »
she'll be back tonight. i'll let her know.

in indiana now

Offline FGOH

• I might take a picture of your
  • Valued Member
  • Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Sorry to hear this news. Please pass my condolences to Shawna.
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Offline Shawna

• Such a nasty
  • Valued Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
Thanks, folks. Ya'll are kind.
“I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end.”
--Origen

Offline Hemingway

• Seriously? Me? A
  • Valued Member
  • If the world didn’t suck, we’d all fall off
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
Just seeing this now Shawna. Please accept my belated condolences  ||rose||
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

Offline Shawna

• Such a nasty
  • Valued Member
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »
My father was 80. He was still working, albiet a bit slower, until August. His last 2 months were a little rough, as he was sometimes confused at night. But he stayed at home and was cared for by my brother and my true angel sister-in-law, with the help of hospice folks.... He was looking forward to being with God...

I cannot begin to describe the joy and peace my whole family felt over the truly decent end-of-life path that was my father's. My brother and his wife were true true gems. They helped to keep him comfortable and preserve his dignity for those last 2 months.....

Anyway, this is all by way of explaining the sadness and the joy and buoyancy all wrapped up in one.
--Origen

Offline Jamestr

• non-smiting
  • Valued Member
  • There is no safety in numbers nor in anything else
    • riemermann.org
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
Shawna, I'm sad to hear about your father's death, and glad that the process was humane and meaningful for your family. I'm also delighted to see you on the forum after my having been away for several years. Greetings!

Offline Shawna

• Such a nasty
  • Valued Member
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
I have been away for a while myself. So good to see you here too!
 ||beerchug||
--Origen

Offline Francis

• Valued Member
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
Hello Shawna...

||beerchug||

- IGI Chat