Author Topic: The Gentleman Scientist - 'Honey, I shrunk the kids'  (Read 644 times)  Share 

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
Re: The Gentleman Scientist - 'Honey, I shrunk the kids'
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »

No objection to natural selection being anything more than the gradual development of traits within the limits of sexual reproduction, but the word "evolution" is a bomb, evoking far more than that.

i gave you an example of evolution in an asexual organism, eyes. let's not forget that.

but you seem to have difficulties with the word "evolution."

what exactly is the problem?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »

No objection to natural selection being anything more than the gradual development of traits within the limits of sexual reproduction, but the word "evolution" is a bomb, evoking far more than that.

i gave you an example of evolution in an asexual organism, eyes. let's not forget that.

but you seem to have difficulties with the word "evolution."

what exactly is the problem?

Your asexual organism example OK,
But "evolution" has more than one meaning,
Such as one Google example: "the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution".
But my acquaintances do not refer to developing hybrid African violets or the selective breeding of border collies as evolution ?
So that's a squint at you using the word "evolution" as a foundation of brown snake-like clouds, on which to build an impenetrable castle ?   

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »
sure, the word has more than one meaning. so do many words in any language you might speak.

if you have a problem with one of the useages of "evolution," you'll have to identify which one you mean.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
The "evolution" of peppered moth, pocket gopher, or border collie colors holds the same interest for me as learning to tie my shoes: no need; not interested; please move on.

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »
The "evolution" of peppered moth, pocket gopher, or border collie colors holds the same interest for me as learning to tie my shoes: no need; not interested; please move on.

eyes, the man who asks a question but won't listen to the answer has only himself to blame for his lack of understanding.

The gentleman scientist wonders, how we have carnivorous sponges, crabs, bedbugs, turtles, toads, owls, giraffes and human beings all arising from a single cell 'kick-start' with no outside force or design plan ?

your question was not genuine. you actually have no interest in an answer.

given that, you don't need me, so i'll leave you to your wondering.

no hard feelings.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:23:45 AM by kevin »

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »
The gentleman scientist wonders out loud,
'What about quantum mechanics ? Maybe quantum mechanics created a Universe out of nothing ?'

But his laughing brother-in-law counters,
'Never happened, quantum particle generation calls for energy; lots of energy; that's not nothing ?'

- IGI Chat