Author Topic: There are other worlds than these  (Read 156 times)  Share 

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
There are other worlds than these
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »
and ME IS SO HAPPY that we're getting so much closer to one of them!!

THE DARK TOWER IS SLATED TO RELEASE IN AUGUST WAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/3/14973518/the-dark-tower-movie-trailer-stephen-king-watch

Can you say "three flavors of fast reloading??"
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
  • What we think we become
Re: There are other worlds than these
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
I really want to get around to reading all these properly! Took a peek at part of the The Gunslinger fairly recently. Got me thinking about all these again. I just need to finish Rose Madder first!

Many thanks for the info/trailer share! Really liking the look of this so far! :-)
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
I really want to get around to reading all these properly! Took a peek at part of the The Gunslinger fairly recently. Got me thinking about all these again. I just need to finish Rose Madder first!

Many thanks for the info/trailer share! Really liking the look of this so far! :-)

here's the glorious part: the movie will be almost NOTHING LIKE the book.  and that's completely OK because of how they set it up (and I can't really tell you why without major spoilers of how the book series ends)

but the series is awesome.  the middle of book 3 (The Waste Lands) and the beginning of book 4 (Wizard and Glass) are probably my favorite parts of the series...

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »

here's the glorious part: the movie will be almost NOTHING LIKE the book.  and that's completely OK because of how they set it up (and I can't really tell you why without major spoilers of how the book series ends)

but the series is awesome.  the middle of book 3 (The Waste Lands) and the beginning of book 4 (Wizard and Glass) are probably my favorite parts of the series...

Not to worry Boots (on not being able to say more because of the whole spoiler thing). I kind of think that sounds disappointing, so far, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised! Not the end of the world anyway, as there's no reason I can't read the books and watch the movie and appreciate them for different things.

I never got as far as taking any kind of proper peek at Wizard and Glass. I do remember The Waste Lands. I recall that's when Blaine (that crazy train) was first introduced. Certainly a character that made a pretty big impression on me, going by what I so far checked out. The gunslinger character, Roland, is interesting to me. Also think the man in black is a cool character as is Eddie (from what I remember) although to me, the one I find especially fascinating, is Susannah Dean. :-)
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
Yesss!!  to all of that.

One potential issue I have with the movie is that Susanna Dean's alter-ego has a "race issue" (to put it mildly); if they plan to follow the series to any extent, the fact that Roland is a black man in the movie is a DRASTIC change in the story.  I don't know how they'll handle that, if they ever try to continue the series with the same characters.

If you like Blaine & Eddie, you should at least read the beginning of Wizard and Glass to see the resolution of the Riddle Game.  THAT is one of my favorite parts of the entire series.   It's like Samurai Jack: a combination of hilarious & awesome that are inextricably intertwined & cannot be separated!!  (the other favorite is when they Draw Jake from the Haunted House.  King at his best--horror + action + crazy mysticism/magic)

why the movie will be different--THIS IS A HUGE SPOILER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!  Do not read this if you plan to read the series
At the end of the series, the culmination is Roland stepping/being drawn through a portal to begin his journey all over again, starting in the desert at the beginning of The gunslinger--every indication is that this has recurred repeatedly.  There's a difference this time: he has the Horn of Eld, an indication that he could finally find redemption this time around (you learn, I believe in Wizard & Glass, that he dropped it and left it at the Battle of Jericho Hill where all his friends died, and where he started his actual journey to the Tower.  He always regrets having not taken the 3 seconds to stop and pick it up)  One of the movie posters showed the Horn--which means that the movie Roland is the Roland at the end of the series, starting his journey again, and it's certain to be different since he's a different man--the man who stopped to pick up the Horn rather than leave it.  (http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Horn_of_Eld?file=Dark_Tower_Movie_Horn_of_Eld.jpg) So, I'm 100% on board with the movie being vastly different--essentially a brand new story but with familiar characters

~Sam Harris

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
Yesss!!  to all of that.

One potential issue I have with the movie is that Susanna Dean's alter-ego has a "race issue" (to put it mildly); if they plan to follow the series to any extent, the fact that Roland is a black man in the movie is a DRASTIC change in the story.  I don't know how they'll handle that, if they ever try to continue the series with the same characters.

I take it that you mean a race issue that wasn't in the books there Boots? :-) Yeah...have to say I was a bit taken aback when I first realised that Roland would be a black guy. I don't personally have a problem with that at all, but at the same time couldn't help wondering why that was done when the character wasn't described that way in the book!

If you like Blaine & Eddie, you should at least read the beginning of Wizard and Glass to see the resolution of the Riddle Game.  THAT is one of my favorite parts of the entire series.   It's like Samurai Jack: a combination of hilarious & awesome that are inextricably intertwined & cannot be separated!!  (the other favorite is when they Draw Jake from the Haunted House.  King at his best--horror + action + crazy mysticism/magic)

Sounds like a good idea! And I definitely plan to do so!

why the movie will be different--THIS IS A HUGE SPOILER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!  Do not read this if you plan to read the series
At the end of the series, the culmination is Roland stepping/being drawn through a portal to begin his journey all over again, starting in the desert at the beginning of The gunslinger--every indication is that this has recurred repeatedly.  There's a difference this time: he has the Horn of Eld, an indication that he could finally find redemption this time around (you learn, I believe in Wizard & Glass, that he dropped it and left it at the Battle of Jericho Hill where all his friends died, and where he started his actual journey to the Tower.  He always regrets having not taken the 3 seconds to stop and pick it up)  One of the movie posters showed the Horn--which means that the movie Roland is the Roland at the end of the series, starting his journey again, and it's certain to be different since he's a different man--the man who stopped to pick up the Horn rather than leave it.  (http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Horn_of_Eld?file=Dark_Tower_Movie_Horn_of_Eld.jpg) So, I'm 100% on board with the movie being vastly different--essentially a brand new story but with familiar characters
[/quote]

Ah, I'm understanding much better now. Many thanks for including that info Boots, I'll bear that in mind!

Albert Einstein

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
Yesss!!  to all of that.

I take it that you mean a race issue that wasn't in the books there Boots? :-) Yeah...have to say I was a bit taken aback when I first realised that Roland would be a black guy. I don't personally have a problem with that at all, but at the same time couldn't help wondering why that was done when the character wasn't described that way in the book!

I mean that there is a race issue in the book that will be much harder to pull off if Roland is black.  One of Susanna's alter egos is Detta Walker--she's a caricature of a stereotypical black woman, who hates "honk mafahs"  I don't know how they'll pull that off if Roland isn't, as Detta would call him, "greymeat"

~Sam Harris

- IGI Chat