Author Topic: The Autonomous Self - Humanist Wisdom :  (Read 900 times)  Share 

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
Re: The Autonomous Self - Humanist Wisdom :
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 03:21:33 AM »
"The three monotheism share a series of identical forms of aversion: hatred of reason and intelligence; hatred of freedom; hatred of all books in the name of one book alone; hatred of sexuality, women,and pleasure; hatred of feminine; hatred of body, of desires, of drives." - Michel Onfray - Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »
"Science proves its theories or it rejects them. I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God. I earnestly believe that I am right; I cannot help believing as I do ... I cannot accept as final any theory which is not provable. The theories of the theologians cannot be proved." - Thomas A. Edison - Inventor.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
"By what power do the Mormons perpetuate their system of polygamy? By their religion/ Man, of himself, could not do this; but when he declares, 'Thus saith the Lord,' of course he can do it. So long as ministers stand up and tell us Christ is the head of the church, so is man the head of woman, how are we to break the chains which have held women down through the ages? You Christian women look at the Hindu, the Muslim, the Mormon women, and wonder how they can be held in such bondage ..." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
"Once God is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance ... logic can be happily tossed out the window" - Stephen King.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »
"Yielding to atheists' [American Atheists (AA)] pressure*, a city council in [Oil City] Pennsylvania unanimously voted to remove a park bench that was meant to honor veterans after an atheist group objected to the presence of a biblical inscription on the bench.

"The inscription reads, "Men who aren't governed by God, will be governed by tyrants." It's a paraphrase of a quote often attributed to Pennsylvania founder William Penn, Christian News Service reported.

Christian Post - May 1, 2017.

*"The Tyrants Bench contains an overtly religious message which endorses one particular religious viewpoint: Christianity. The statement that ‘Men who aren’t governed by God will be governed by tyrants’ not only has absolutely nothing to do with honoring our service members, but is derisive toward the all non-Christian American service members who have served and died for this country” - Excerpt from the AA letter.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
"The history of 'Christiansanity' is so brutal of mind, emotions, freedom, progress, science, and all that I hold precious, that by any standards of justice its leaders in almost any given period would be incarcerated for life, or worse!” - Madison Arnold (born 1936) - Hollywood Actor.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
A Catechism of Christian Doctrine

"I wish that all the people
who peddle God
could watch my mother die:
could see the skin and
gristle weighing only
seventy-nine, every stubborn
pound of flesh a small
death.

"I wish the people who peddle God
could see her young,
lovely in gardens and
beautiful in kitchens, and could watch
the hand of God slowly
twisting her knees and fingers
till they gnarled and knotted, settling in
for thirty years of pain.

"I wish the people who peddle God
could see the lightning
of His cancer stabbing
her, that small frame
tensing at every shock,
her sweet contralto scratchy with
the Lord’s infection: Philip,
I want to die.

"I wish I had them gathered round,
those preachers, popes, rabbis,
imams, priests – every
pious shill on God’s payroll – and I
would pull the sheets from my mother’s brittle body,
and they would fall on their knees at her bedside
to be forgiven all their
faith.”

Philip Appleman - American poet.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 06:12:59 AM »
"The god you’ve created is, in fact, undetectable by science. The limits of science are not the province of religious knowledge. Where science is ignorant, so is religion. The only difference is that religion lacks the integrity of science.” - Matt Dillahunty.

Matt Dillahunty (born 1969) was the president of the Atheist Community of Austin from 2006 to 2013.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 05:43:35 AM »
"I don’t believe in God. How can I say the Pledge of Allegiance if I don’t believe in God? How can I spend our American currency which pledges “In God We Trust?” How can I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, so help me God? Answer: I can’t. It’s a real problem." - Michael Ian Black (born 1971) - American comedian, actor.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 07:06:36 AM »
"Atheists do have a moral code to guide them. It is usually based upon the Golden Rule, plus a variety of utilitarian reasons, although there are a number of other possible systems. Rather than being immoral, most atheists are extremely moral." - Gordon Stein (1941 - 1996) - The Encyclopedia of Unbelief

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 07:14:07 AM »
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
"We are risen apes, not fallen angels. We are the most successful and last surviving African hominid. Every single person on this Earth, all 7 billion of us, arose 50,000 years ago from small bands of African hunter-gatherers, a total population of somewhere between 600 and 2,000 individuals.” - J. Anderson Thomson.

J. Anderson (Andy) Thomson, Jr. is an American psychiatrist and Trustee of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
"Science—cosmology, evolution and especially the brain sciences—is telling us that we have no privileged position in the universe and that our sense of having a private nonmaterial soul ‘watching the world’ is really an illusion … Once you realize that far from being a spectator, you are in fact part of the eternal ebb and flow of events in the cosmos, this realization is very liberating." - V.S. Ramachandran - Neuroscientist and Author of Phantoms in the Brain.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
“Atheism may be defined as the mental attitude which unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a lifestyle and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and the scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds.” - Madalyn Murray O'Hair.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:19:39 AM by eyeshaveit »

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 08:13:25 AM »
"If I say, ‘there’s a monster living in my closet, you can’t see him, but you gotta have faith that he’s there’ people would say ‘well that’s ridiculous, you’re out of you’re mind, you should be locked up’, but the same thing does not apply to a guy living on a cloud ... We suspend our powers of logic.” - Seth Mcfarlane (born 1973) - American actor and filmmaker.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does." - Robert A, Heinlein - Author.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »
"Uh, when you're dealing with something with certainty, like, y'know, science or logic, you don't have the--there's no wiggle room; that's why history is not filled with warring math cults, y'know, because you can settle the issue; you can prove something to be right or wrong, and that's the end of the argument: next case." - Tom Quinn.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »
"Why a difference of opinion upon predestination, or the trinity, should make people imprison and burn each other seems beyond the comprehension of man; and yet in all countries where Christians have existed, they have destroyed each other to the exact extent of their power." - Robert G. Ingersoll - Some Mistakes of Moses.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and a fire extinguisher- the clergyman" - Victor Hugo.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements – the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution – weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way they could get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss - A Universe from Nothing

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 05:09:13 AM »
"He put me through a catechism before uncorking some stupendous claret. "So - absolutely no God?" "Nope," I was able to say with Moonie-zeal. "No future life, nothing 'out there'?" "No," I obediently replied. At last! I could join in the creed shared by so many (most?) of my intelligent contemporaries in the Western world - that men and women are purely material beings (whatever that is supposed to mean), that "this is all there is" (ditto), that God, Jesus and religion are a load of baloney: and worse than that, the cause of much (no, come on, let yourself go), most (why stint yourself - go for it, man), all the trouble in the world, from Jerusalem to Belfast, from Washington to Islamabad."

A. N. Wilson - The New Statesman - April 2, 2009.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »
"Perhaps the whole root of our trouble, the human trouble, is that we will sacrifice all the beauty of our lives, will imprison ourselves in totems, taboos, crosses, blood sacrifices, steeples, mosques, races, armies, flags, nation, in order to deny the fact of death, which is the only fact we have." - James Baldwin (1924 - 1987) - American Author.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
“Why do more than 40 percent of Americans think that the Universe began after the domestication of the dog?” - Richard Dawkins.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 05:06:39 AM »
“Storyboarded by the West Coast’s finest, the ceiling celebrated the exploits of that most durable of action heroes—God.” - Michael Marshall Smith - Author.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #54 on: Today at 04:40:44 AM »
"Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into skyscrapers." - Victor Stenger - The New Atheist - Taking a Stand for Science and Reason

- IGI Chat