Author Topic: why are you here?  (Read 1138 times)  Share 

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
why are you here?
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
hey folks.

why are you here?

in meeting i sometimes am led to ask that question of my church. i'm curious, so today i'm asking you.

what brings you to this place?

what keeps you here?

since this is the testimonials board, you can be open in your response,  without worrying that some troll will start in on you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
Re: why are you here?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »
I am here because my parents had sex, without protection, at the right time of month for eggs to be fertilized and even though there was some debate about it, the process wasn't aborted. They were divorced before my 1st birthday but that's a different story.
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:32:43 AM »
I like forums. There are about 5 that I read regularly. I like to read different opinions on subjects and I really admire people who can get their points across well in writing. Something that I have great difficulty in doing.

Writing has always been difficult for me. My reading comprehension is ok...I guess. My job doesn't require me to write at all. The only schooling I've had after high school is an apprenticeship and a bunch of certification classes. I did ok, but only because I am capable of reading and remembering enough to pick the right answer on multiple choice questions. I did ok in grade school, but dropped out in 11th grade and ended up getting a GED and then graduating while in prison.

I don't participate much in forums. I keep telling myself that I am going to participate more if for no other reason than that I hope it will make me a better writer.... but I don't know. This is really the only forum I actually post in these days. Mostly because it's much slower paced than the other ones and it's a little more easy going... I guess you could put it.

Writing actually makes me a little anxious... I could not imagine trying to get a degree where I would be expected to write a thesis or dissertation. My head would explode. ||smiley||
“There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.” —G.K. Chesterton

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:51:45 AM »
I like forums. There are about 5 that I read regularly. I like to read different opinions on subjects and I really admire people who can get their points across well in writing. Something that I have great difficulty in doing.

Writing has always been difficult for me. My reading comprehension is ok...I guess. My job doesn't require me to write at all. The only schooling I've had after high school is an apprenticeship and a bunch of certification classes. I did ok, but only because I am capable of reading and remembering enough to pick the right answer on multiple choice questions. I did ok in grade school, but dropped out in 11th grade and ended up getting a GED and then graduating while in prison.

I don't participate much in forums. I keep telling myself that I am going to participate more if for no other reason than that I hope it will make me a better writer.... but I don't know. This is really the only forum I actually post in these days. Mostly because it's much slower paced than the other ones and it's a little more easy going... I guess you could put it.

Writing actually makes me a little anxious... I could not imagine trying to get a degree where I would be expected to write a thesis or dissertation. My head would explode. ||smiley||

Holy Crap Dude! I would never have suspected you of being a high school drop out. As far as I can tell, you get your point across quite clearly and effectively. But, what do I know...I'm a high school drop out too. Your reasons for being here are very similar to my reasons for being here (on this...or any other forum). Don't be afraid to write. Don't be afraid to declare your positions. Don't be afraid to question anything. Do not be ashamed. This is how we learn, you and I. It is through the exchange of ideas and having your ideas challenged that grow your brain and expand your understanding.

You are officially my new favorite person. Don't know how long that will last but at least it's something right?

I'm glad you are here.
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:53 AM »
^^^  Plusses!

The list of literary legends who didn’t attend college for one reason or another includes Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Edith Wharton, Truman Capote, Ray Bradbury, Raymond Carver, Raymond Chandler, Dorothy Parker, Maya Angelou, William Saroyan, John Cheever, Sherwood Anderson, and Louis L’Amour. And the likes of Edgar Allen Poe, Jack London, J.D. Salinger, and Henry Miller made only fleeting attempts at the university experience. 
http://thewhynot100.blogspot.com/2014/06/78-author-alma-maters.html

The Forum experience gives just the right nudge to force me to look up and learn new stuff I wouldn't ordinarily bother with.  So, for instance, I just now learned that a favorite writer from my teens, Steinbeck, actually went to Stanford but didn't get a degree!

Offline none

• Twice a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:27 AM »
morons
If you dont want to believe in sin dont believe in the supernatural
If you read the Bible backwards everybody lives
First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
God is s comedian and you are his joke.

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:14:36 AM »

Holy Crap Dude! I would never have suspected you of being a high school drop out. As far as I can tell, you get your point across quite clearly and effectively. But, what do I know...I'm a high school drop out too. Your reasons for being here are very similar to my reasons for being here (on this...or any other forum). Don't be afraid to write. Don't be afraid to declare your positions. Don't be afraid to question anything. Do not be ashamed. This is how we learn, you and I. It is through the exchange of ideas and having your ideas challenged that grow your brain and expand your understanding.

You are officially my new favorite person. Don't know how long that will last but at least it's something right?

I'm glad you are here.

Thanks bro! Very nice of you to say that. I may have more to say, but I just got back from beers with my brother and I have a "no posting on the internet while intoxicated" rule....due to past experiences..LOL...but thanks. I'll get back to you tomorrow.  ||smiley||

P.S. You write quite well... much better than I... In my opinion. ||smiley||
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:25:33 AM by bad actor, Reason: added ps »
“There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.” —G.K. Chesterton

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
^^^  Plusses!

The list of literary legends who didn’t attend college for one reason or another includes Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Edith Wharton, Truman Capote, Ray Bradbury, Raymond Carver, Raymond Chandler, Dorothy Parker, Maya Angelou, William Saroyan, John Cheever, Sherwood Anderson, and Louis L’Amour. And the likes of Edgar Allen Poe, Jack London, J.D. Salinger, and Henry Miller made only fleeting attempts at the university experience. 
http://thewhynot100.blogspot.com/2014/06/78-author-alma-maters.html

The Forum experience gives just the right nudge to force me to look up and learn new stuff I wouldn't ordinarily bother with.  So, for instance, I just now learned that a favorite writer from my teens, Steinbeck, actually went to Stanford but didn't get a degree!

Geez... You got that right. I had never heard of logical fallacies, confirmation bias, and cognitive dissonance. Discovering the terms and learning their meaning completely changed the way I looked at myself and the world. I am still capable of being a completely biased hypocrite... But hopefully getting better. lol

As far as your writing skills go... Your vocabulary is so good, it's borderline pretentious... I mean that in a good way  and yes, I had to look up "pretentious" and make sure I was using right. ||smiley||

I'm unfamiliar with many of the authors you mentioned. I intend to read more classics. My favorites are "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevsky. I read a version that was translated frome french and then english. Let's see..."Great Expectations" by d**kins. That was a trip to read. I really liked "Metamorphosis" by Kafka. That one was unlike anything I've ever read. Of course "The Catcher in the Rye."

I read over 400 books while in prison. I met a guy who was a literary major and he recommended those classics. I had grown bored with the lame paperback novels and was happy for the change. I must admit though... Master of the Game by Sydney Sheldon was one hell of a read...haha. ||smiley||

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
morons

LOL... This is a well timed comment from None. My first experience with forums was Atheist Think Tank back in 2010 I think. I signed up and made my first post. None was the first person to respond ... I think maybe he called me a moron then too... ||smiley||

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
I'd give the benefit of the doubt by assuming he's just answering Kevin's question with characteristic concision.

"I'm here at this Forum 'cause it's fun to exchange thoughts with the (unnamed religious/political) morons."   ||grin||

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
I'd give the benefit of the doubt by assuming he's just answering Kevin's question with characteristic concision.

"I'm here at this Forum 'cause it's fun to exchange thoughts with the (unnamed religious/political) morons."   ||grin||

||facepalm2|| True... I should have given the benefit of the doubt.

I thought about looking for my first post on ATT, but remembered that it was lost and gone forever. ||smiley||

Online Emma286

• Valued Member
  • What we think we become
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »

||facepalm2|| True... I should have given the benefit of the doubt.

I thought about looking for my first post on ATT, but remembered that it was lost and gone forever. ||smiley||

There is a new ATT now and has been for some months. I was there for a while. Not anymore though, I recently left.
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
There is a new ATT now and has been for some months. I was there for a while. Not anymore though, I recently left.

I'm not even really there anymore and I own it.

Wilson wiggling out of supporting himself:

Facts need no proof.

Online Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
I'm pretty surprised to hear that!

Guess the job makes it tough on a long term basis - as well as having family commitments.
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »

Guess the job makes it tough, and having a family too.

It got to be too much. Where it;s hosted also has five other domain names and I'm planning on moving those to a new host. I'm not sure what I'll do with ATT.

Facts need no proof.

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

I'm not even really there anymore and I own it.

Yeah... Forums aren't what they used to be. Even WWGHA is just crawling along now it seems.

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
I'm just not really that interested in the topic anymore.

Facts need no proof.

Online Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

Guess the job makes it tough, and having a family too.

It got to be too much. Where it;s hosted also has five other domain names and I'm planning on moving those to a new host. I'm not sure what I'll do with ATT.

Pity that there's not a third admin choice that you can consider asking to help you imo.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:47:54 PM by Emma286 »

Albert Einstein

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
That would help out a lot.

Facts need no proof.

Offline bad actor

• Valued Member
  • Godless
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
I'm not all that interested in the topic anymore either.... No matter what I'm doing on my laptop, I have 3 or 4 tabs I open out of habit. Facebook, a couple of forums, etc. If I see something I want to comment on..fine...if not...fine.

Online Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
Somebody like Screwtape over at WWGHA would be perfect I think. Still, he had to give up doing admin stuff there because of the nature of his new job meaning he no longer had the time for that sort of stuff. Big shame me thinks. :-(

Albert Einstein

Online Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
Sorry Kevin, now to get back on topic and answer your questions properly! ;-)

hey folks.

why are you here?

in meeting i sometimes am led to ask that question of my church. i'm curious, so today i'm asking you.

what brings you to this place?

what keeps you here?

since this is the testimonials board, you can be open in your response,  without worrying that some troll will start in on you.

What originally led to my registering here/wanting to check this place out was WWGHA going down around July 2016 time/my having problems accessing it for a time after. Upon reading about this website on its front page, I also got the strong impression it was a pretty friendly relaxed place that encouraged similar discussions to over there which immediately appealed to me.

However, it ended up (after I registered here) that I spent quite a bit of time over at the new Atheist Think Tank for some months - trying to do all I could to help towards getting it off the ground - on top of various stuff I had happening offline. Also, after so long, I realised that I had been able to access WWGHA from my boyfriend's IP address and so started to return to posting there from time to time over the last Christmas holiday. There's only so many websites that I can keep up with easily at one time and so that's why for some time I didn't really post here very often.However, after things (from my point of view) seriously didn't work out over at ATT I've decided to spend a bit more time here as an alternative to being there.

What is keeping me here now is now having more time to participate and liking the fact that my first impression about this place has turned out to be right. It is a supportive friendly place where I feel I can relax and be myself with others - without having to worry about attracting/having to put up with any online bullying/verbal abuse from anybody out of being myself (right now I see it's the same over at WWGHA which is a big part of what I appreciate about it over there too).

Albert Einstein

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
this place has always had a better atmosphere than some other religion-oriented forums. it tends to be more reliable in operation as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline catwixen

• non smiting
  • Valued Member
  • Gord Strewth!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
I'm here because when i was a computer newbie, internet newbie, and had no idea what I was doing...I found the wwgha peoples and the ones who left to form IGI. They were wonderful people and sort of popped my cherry (forum wise).
I loved the people I met here and some of them still remain. So yeah I pop in mostly every day just to see what is going on.
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Offline Case

• Prodigal Son &
  • Valued Member
  • Ecclesia semper reformanda
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
I usually come here when I am working through ideas in my own head and I want to run them through a few other people's heads too. I enjoy a good debate, and like to have people point out potential flaws or weaknesses in my thinking, and offer up fresh perspectives I am not familiar with. I also like to extend this same courtesy to others, attempting to point out weaknesses in their arguments, offering fresh perspectives, etc.
"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
I'm here because when i was a computer newbie, internet newbie, and had no idea what I was doing...I found the wwgha peoples and the ones who left to form IGI. They were wonderful people and sort of popped my cherry (forum wise).
I loved the people I met here and some of them still remain. So yeah I pop in mostly every day just to see what is going on.

ah mighty tigress
long have i missed thy scintillas of wisdom

think not that thy absence has gone unnoticed
there are those among us who attend to thee
with care and regard

Offline catwixen

• non smiting
  • Valued Member
  • Gord Strewth!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 05:08:38 AM »
^ awwwwww my favourite doggy :)
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Offline bobingersoll

• Valued Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
I joined this forum 5 years ago but it looks like I haven't posted until just a few days ago. 

I am a former Christian.  When I was a Christian I greatly enjoyed having a dialogue with Christians from other denominations.  I enjoyed comparing doctrines and debating, one on one.  I enjoyed when the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses would come to my door - I found the mental calisthenics invigorating.

I still do enjoyed when the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door, only now I argue as a non believer.  Protestant Christian denominations NEVER come by - they just don't care.  I have lived in my little southern Virginia county for more than 25 years, a county of about 90K population and 300+ churches and I have NEVER had a single Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc, etc ever come to my door to talk about their god.  NEVER came up to me at the grocery store, at the park, etc.  Absolutely, the only people who have ever approached me to discus their beliefs are Mormons and JW's.  But they are pretty much not interested in what I have to say - they just want me to hear what they have to say...so they eventually stop coming by.

I have carried on some lengthy email dialogues with Christians that were cordial, challenging, and enjoyable, but after a few weeks or months they always stop responding.

Anyway, I guess I am here to see what sort of dialogue there is.  Based on the few interactions I have had so far, I am not optimistic.
A myth is a fixed way of looking at the world which cannot be destroyed because, looked at through the myth, all evidence supports the myth.
~ Edward De Bono

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Protestant Christian denominations NEVER come by - they just don't care.  I have lived in my little southern Virginia county for more than 25 years, a county of about 90K population and 300+ churches and I have NEVER had a single Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc, etc ever come to my door to talk about their god.  NEVER came up to me at the grocery store, at the park, etc.  Absolutely, the only people who have ever approached me to discus their beliefs are Mormons and JW's. 

A sad commentary and only too true.

Sadder yet, most Christians don't stand out in a crowd.

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” - John 13.

Offline bobingersoll

• Valued Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »
Protestant Christian denominations NEVER come by - they just don't care.  I have lived in my little southern Virginia county for more than 25 years, a county of about 90K population and 300+ churches and I have NEVER had a single Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc, etc ever come to my door to talk about their god.  NEVER came up to me at the grocery store, at the park, etc.  Absolutely, the only people who have ever approached me to discus their beliefs are Mormons and JW's. 

A sad commentary and only too true.

Sadder yet, most Christians don't stand out in a crowd.

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” - John 13.
OK, so when is the last time YOU went up to a complete stranger, face to face, and warned them of hell?  When was the last time YOU knocked on the door of a stranger and "witnessed" to them?

What I am finding is that Christians like to talk to other Christians about winning souls for Jesus, sharing techniques and tactics, but they seldom (if ever) actually put them into practice. 

Same with apologetics - there are many on-line blogs that offer Christian apologetic materials and resources, but just try to get anyone associated with the blog to put their techniques to use and you get a big dose of silence.  I have tried.
A myth is a fixed way of looking at the world which cannot be destroyed because, looked at through the myth, all evidence supports the myth.
~ Edward De Bono

- IGI Chat