Author Topic: Three Equal Branches of Government - Oh Really?  (Read 704 times)  Share 

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
Three Equal Branches of Government - Oh Really?
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
"Trump's Criticism Of Judges Out Of Line With Past Presidents" - National Public Radio - February 11, 2017.

"In an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday, host Jake Tapper asked Franken if he was serious when he told HBO's Bill Maher that some of his Republican colleagues "will say [Trump's] not right mentally, and then some are harsher."" - Business Insider - February 12, 2017.

It is perfectly within reason for Senator Franken to criticize President Trump, but the President dare not find fault with a Federal Judge.

Why is that?

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
Re: Three Equal Branches of Government - Oh Really?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
"Yes, I have led in talking about impeachment. And some people say, well, it’s too early for that. It’s never too early if you understand how dangerous this man really is. I do believe that there is a connection between the Ukraine and Donald Trump and of course Russia. I think that he colluded with Putin during the election and that hacking and everything that took place. I think that it’s there, we just have to dig deeper, do the investigation and find it." - Representative Maxine Waters - MSNBC AM Joy - February 12, 2017.

"A high-profile voter fraud investigation is costly, timely and, frankly, could be a distraction for actual legislation" - Washington Post - January 27, 2017.

So, the Legislature is supposed to investigate President Trump with a view toward impeaching him, but they can't investigate "voter fraud" - oh really?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:19:57 AM by eyeshaveit »

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

It is perfectly within reason for Senator Franken to criticize President Trump, but the President dare not find fault with a Federal Judge.

Why is that?

because Drumpf is lying
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
I think it's a matter of how Trump criticizes the judges. Calling them "so-called judges", like he did in his tweet, isn't the way to go about it. Trump could have criticised them without coming off as a pretentious douchebag. But he didn't. Basically, he said the judges aren't worthy of sitting on the bench, or they're not judges. Or, they're judges who don't know s**t. Or, they're not judges because they don't see eye-to-eye with Trump.

His criticism sounds as if he could he'd remove them from the bench, just for not agreeing with him. They way he criticizes others is what you'd expect from a dictator - you disagree with me, "YOU'RE FIRED!". Luckily, and unfortunately for Trump, he's finally (hopefully) realizing he doesn't have as much power as he wanted when he came into office.
Wilson wiggling out of supporting himself:

Facts need no proof.

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
So, the Legislature is supposed to investigate President Trump with a view toward impeaching him, but they can't investigate "voter fraud" - oh really?

Investigating a chance for impeachment (an investigation into whether our country's leader has violated the constitution) is far more important than investigating vote fraud.

And, why even discuss an investigation into voter fraud anyway. The election is over. If there were to be any kind of investigation begin investigating it during the next election cycle. Any investigation into the 2016 Presidential election won't change anything.

Facts need no proof.

Offline BlackLight

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
Apart from the need for the Judiciary to remain independent of the other two branches of government, Trump's hectoring and attempted bullying of individual judges is just stupid politics. Judges are human

Trump's "investigation" into voter fraud is being driven by Trump's own completely absurd claims of voter fraud. Investigating Trump's ties to Russia actually makes sense, given what we know is true about their interference in our election.
GIVLING.com is an online trivia game - the purpose of which is to crowd/ad-fund student loan/mortgage payments. Free to sign up and to play. Daily cash prizes awarded to winning teams. Use Invite Code AS225966 at sign-up. Happy to answer questions.

Offline Kiahanie

• Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation. -Jellaludin Rumi, valued by this
  • Valued Member
  • Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
I think it's a matter of how Trump criticizes the judges. Calling them "so-called judges", like he did in his tweet, isn't the way to go about it. Trump could have criticised them without coming off as a pretentious douchebag. But he didn't. Basically, he said the judges aren't worthy of sitting on the bench, or they're not judges. Or, they're judges who don't know s**t. Or, they're not judges because they don't see eye-to-eye with Trump.

His criticism sounds as if he could he'd remove them from the bench, just for not agreeing with him. They way he criticizes others is what you'd expect from a dictator - you disagree with me, "YOU'RE FIRED!". Luckily, and unfortunately for Trump, he's finally (hopefully) realizing he doesn't have as much power as he wanted when he came into office.
If Trump knew what he was talking about, he would have cited legal precedent and perhaps provided evidence the judges had ignored.

Trump does not know what he is talking about, but talk he must, and the result is ignorant vituperation.
If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet … maybe we could understand something. --Federico Fellini

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:37:59 AM »
"We’ve taken in enough. America needs a break.’ We have taken, as I describe in ‘Adios America, for the past several decades, America has taken in more refugees than the entire rest of the world combined. Our country is not a battered woman’s shelter." - Representing President Trump's views, Ann Coulter, on Sean Hannity's radio program - February 13, 2017.

"Those same people who sent Jews back to the Third Reich never left. We will stand up, we will stand together, and we will say, refugees welcome here." - U.S. Representative (MN) Keith Ellison at a New York City Rally - February 12, 2017.

Two at odds over immigration; which is the correct (if either) view?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:08:12 AM by eyeshaveit »

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
"...America has taken in more refugees than the entire rest of the world combined."

Presumably you ferreted out this Coulter gem by using your computer's Internet search engine function?

So we know you know how to use it.

Presumably your point, rather than to convey honest, substantive information, was to score propaganda points via vague, wholly unsubstantiated insinuation?

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
"...America has taken in more refugees than the entire rest of the world combined."

Presumably you ferreted out this Coulter gem by using your computer's Internet search engine function?

So we know you know how to use it.

LOL - no - the Coulter quote 'jumped' out at me on a visit to a news site. But so what; what's your point? 

Presumably your point, rather than to convey honest, substantive information, was to score propaganda points via vague, wholly unsubstantiated insinuation?

Instead of tiptoeing through the paranoid tulips; accusing me of not conveying "honest, substantive information ... to score propaganda points via vague, wholly unsubstantiated insinuation", why don't you:

1 - Read my post again and take note that two sides of the issue were presented, and

2 - Present some facts to reinforce your 'unsubstantiated' citation of a "wholly unsubstantiated" claim by Ms. Coulter. Otherwise get back to watering your tulips; they are withering in a right smart breeze from the left.

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
Present some facts to reinforce your 'unsubstantiated' citation of a "wholly unsubstantiated" claim by Ms. Coulter.

It took me all of five seconds to look it up that the EU took in 1.3 million refugees in the year 2015 alone, while the US has accepted 3 million refugees, grand total, since 1980.  Now why do I always have to be the one to go to the trouble of copypasting links, selecting and formatting the relevant passages and finally double-checking the IGI "preview" function (because sure as schittin' somebody who never ever cites sources will complain, "Your link is broken!" if a link is broken)?

It's my story and I'm stickin' with it that you used Coulter as a vehicle to insinuate a false propaganda point, hoping that you could get the spin out there without any effort on your part.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
Present some facts to reinforce your 'unsubstantiated' citation of a "wholly unsubstantiated" claim by Ms. Coulter.

It took me all of five seconds to look it up that the EU took in 1.3 million refugees in the year 2015 alone, while the US has accepted 3 million refugees, grand total, since 1980.  Now why do I always have to be the one to go to the trouble of copypasting links, selecting and formatting the relevant passages and finally double-checking the IGI "preview" function (because sure as schittin' somebody who never ever cites sources will complain, "Your link is broken!" if a link is broken)?

It's my story and I'm stickin' with it that you used Coulter as a vehicle to insinuate a false propaganda point, hoping that you could get the spin out there without any effort on your part.

Offline Steveox

• Always an
  • Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Both Bill Clinton and Obama spoke out against immigration and not one objection by the left.

We are the silent majority

Offline wabbit111

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
"We’ve taken in enough. America needs a break.’ We have taken, as I describe in ‘Adios America, for the past several decades, America has taken in more refugees than the entire rest of the world combined. Our country is not a battered woman’s shelter." - Representing President Trump's views, Ann Coulter, on Sean Hannity's radio program - February 13, 2017.

"Those same people who sent Jews back to the Third Reich never left. We will stand up, we will stand together, and we will say, refugees welcome here." - U.S. Representative (MN) Keith Ellison at a New York City Rally - February 12, 2017.

Two at odds over immigration; which is the correct (if either) view?

Per capita, the US has one of the lowest numbers of immigrants. The UK has almost 10 times the number of the US.
Don't quote me on that........

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
^^

yeah but at what cost? Here is something you probably don't want to see or acknowledge as a real problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Naturally, I fully expect someone will explain to me how it's different now and that this phenomena somehow doesn't apply to the refugees from Syria because they are all "good" Muslims.
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
"They are supposed to protect the identity and speech of innocent Americans. Yet the Washington Post, which broke the story, says it spoke to multiple U.S. officials claiming to know what Mr. Flynn said on that call ... The questions someone in the White House should ask the National Security Agency is why it didn’t use minimization procedures to protect Mr. Flynn? Or did it also have a court order to listen to Mr. Flynn, and how did it justify that judicial request? ... If Mr. Flynn was under U.S. intelligence surveillance, then Mr. Trump should know why, and at this point so should the American public. Maybe there’s an innocent explanation, but the Trump White House needs to know what’s going on with Mr. Flynn and U.S. spies" - Wall Street Journal - February 13, 2017.

“That’s nine leakers [/\ /\ of Michael Flynn] that all belong in jail, those nine people broke the law, clearly, by leaking classified information to anybody.” - Representative Devin Nunes - House Intelligence Committee Chairman - February 14, 2017.

“Who knew in the White House? And when did they know in the White House? And why was the vice president of the United States kept in the dark and allowed to go on television and lie and not have anybody go to him who knew in the White House that he had been pushed out to lie? And the only reason we’re finding out about it now is because a patriot did leak this to The Washington Post, did get this information out there, or else we wouldn’t have even known about it. Why was Mike Pence kept in the dark when the White House counsel knew about it. And he was sent out to lie? Why? And who knew?” - Joe Scarborough - Morning Joe - MSNBC - February 14, 2017.

so, what do we have here: "patriots" or "leakers that all belong in jail"?

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
"...If Mr. Flynn was under U.S. intelligence surveillance, then Mr. Trump should know why, and at this point so should the American public. Maybe there’s an innocent explanation" - Wall Street Journal - February 13, 2017.

Um, yeah, there's an explanation with which only the most naïve throughout the past half century would be clueless.

It can be safely assumed that all non-secure and likely many secure phone conversations involving Russian and US ambassadors in-country are going to be monitored.  The Wall Street Journal got high school children writing their editorials?  Flynn is a wasp caught in the flypaper.

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
The Mythical Connection Between Immigrants and Crime

Newcomers to the U.S. are less likely than the native population to commit violent crimes or be incarcerated.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mythical-connection-between-immigrants-and-crime-1436916798

Seems to me every time there's a violent, heinous mass shooting or serial killer it turns out to be a US veteran-most-holy?  Should we hold up their visas upon return from overseas, and hold 'em in quarantine detention for 90 days ahead of releasing our soldiers upon the innocent civilian population?  I'm not gonna tiptoe through that tulip bed, but I'd imagine the crime rate is ten times that of immigrants.

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
Seems to me every time there's a violent, heinous mass shooting or serial killer it turns out to be a US veteran-most-holy?  Should we hold up their visas upon return from overseas, and hold 'em in quarantine detention for 90 days ahead of releasing our soldiers upon the innocent civilian population?  I'm not gonna tiptoe through that tulip bed, but I'd imagine the crime rate is ten times that of immigrants.

Oh, Oh! You mean like the guy who flew from Alaska to Florida and shoot up the airport?!?

Facts need no proof.

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
Exactly.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/research_on_ptsd_and_violence.asp
Research Findings on PTSD and Violence

Sonya Norman, PhD, Eric B. Elbogen, PhD and Paula P. Schnurr, PhD

...The best epidemiological evidence on violence and PTSD comes from studies of the U.S. general population and of post-9/11 Veterans in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. According to these studies, the prevalence of violence among individuals with PTSD ranged from 7.5% among US adults to 8.6% to 19.5% among post-9/11 Veterans (2-4). In the same studies, the prevalence of violence ranged from 2.0% in US adults with no mental health disorders and 3.0 to 6.4% among post-9/11 Veterans without PTSD...

Last updated January 10, 2017 

So per the most recent US Department of Veterans Affairs research, and disregarding PTSD, violence is doubled or tripled among veterans.  While almost all other studies turn up a lower-than-average level of violent crime among recent immigrants.

Our new kleptocratic Orange Revolution operates on biased emotion not evidence.  Sad thing is you just know those fookers would oh so welcome a good domestic shoot 'em up by a recent Muslim immigrant.  They'd play it up endlessly for days while saying not a word about the Muslim civilians killed in cold blood by "Patriots."

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:12 AM »
You insinuate that people fleeing for their lives from a war zone do not suffer from PTSD? Any studies on that?
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:18 AM »
You insinuate that people fleeing for their lives from a war zone do not suffer from PTSD?

I didn't say or insinuate anything at all about war refugees and PTSD.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
“You have people saying that General Flynn – when he was a private citizen, a retired U.S. Army general – goes and gives a speech in Russia for Russia Today, arguing that that somehow has compromised him. Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton did that for tens of millions of dollars. It’s ridiculous.” - Peter Schweizer - Author of Clinton Cash - February 15, 2017.

"Flynn Violated Constitution With Russia Speech, Democrats Say" - ABC News Headline - February 1, 2017.

Who is getting it right, the Democrats or Peter Schweizer?

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
"Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton did that for tens of millions of dollars.”

Again with the transparently biased propaganda couched as, "Hey, I'm only asking a question!!!"

I challenge you to document Billary's alleged paid speeches to the Russian government.  Meanwhile, 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/flynn-violated-constitution-russia-speech-democrats/story?id=45200852
“The Members of Congress raise a troubling and important question,” Eisen said in a statement emailed to ABC News. “If Lt. Gen. Flynn is subject to recall, and accepted foreign government funds WITHOUT CONGRESSIONAL CONSENT, then that is a foreign emolument and so a violation of the Constitution. Nor would it be a merely technical one. Concern about the alleged ties between the Trump administration and Russia, and its effect on our national security, is precisely the kind of worry that led the Founders to include this prohibition in the Constitution.” 

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
Trump Is Not Doing Well In the Polls - 39.3% Approval - Mother Jones - February 16, 2017.

Trump’s Poll Numbers Keep Dropping. How Low Can He Go - 40% Approval - Washington Post - February 16, 2017.

Daily Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll - 55% Approval - Rasmussen Reports - February 16, 2017.

39% or 55% - that's a wide swing - who are you going to believe?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:37:00 AM by eyeshaveit »

Offline Inertialmass

• Valued Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
If I am a white Judeo-Christian I'll have faith in the opinion poll which displays an historical bias in favor of orange, of course!!!

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »
so, what do we have here: "patriots" or "leakers that all belong in jail"?

If you ask Drumpf, it depends.  On the campaign trail, he gave not a whit about the leaks themselves ("I love Wikileaks!") and cared only about the content, because it was damaging to his opponent & thus benefited him.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot, he takes the opposite stance: the content is irrelevant and the leaks are what is important, since the content damages him.

this is a classic example of 1984-esque "doublethink"
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Offline Dexter

• Not quite a
  • Valued Member
  • Self Portrait
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
Nobody who leaks information belongs in jail.  If you are to encourage an open and free society then there are no secrets. State secrets for security reasons is an excuse to discredit opposition.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-the Amendment that ensures nobody is safe..

Offline RegalSin

• Valued Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:13 PM »

Why is that?

because Drumpf is lying

Nope because Richie Rich knows that if you insult the court systems they will insult you back. Changing the law is one thing but mocking them is another. The law is something you do not play with. I am not talking about breaking the law I am talking about a court of any sort.

I could go inside of a court room and almost any out burst could be seen as a statement. It is like going to an auction house.

Try walking in on a court case ( not on tv ) and the judge might actually request for you to leave. Imagine arguing with a judge while on case.

These things can make or break peoples lives.

I will tell you a funny joke. A court was given a request and did not agree but had signed because they had the right and to refuse would mean the loss of there position. That was the worlds most smallest, tiniest signature you have ever seen. They know that you mess with peoples rights they will mess with you.

Offline eyeshaveit

• Valued Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
"[Trump is] telling us we are being lied to all the time. That has a corrosive effect, deepening public distrust of the media and other institutions at a time when they already enjoy historically low levels of confidence. We cannot let that happen." - John Podesta - Washington Post - February 16, 2017.

“I want to see an honest press. I started off today by saying the press — the public doesn’t believe you people anymore." - President Trump - Thursday's News Conference.

Honest news - Fake news - What's the news?

- IGI Chat