Author Topic: Howdy everyone!  (Read 782 times)  Share 

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
  • What we think we become
Howdy everyone!
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
I'm Emma from South East London in the UK! Some here will know me from the Why Won't God Heal Amputees site forums.

Looking forward to reading and posting around the board!

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Teaspoon Shallow

• Well caffeinated
  • Valued Member
Re: Howdy everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »
+1 Welcome Emma. 

I am glad you have joined us. 
Tell us a little more about yourself, are you a theist or a non theist?
Tea or coffee?
Beer or wine?
Cats or dogs?

||grin||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That’s the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Offline none

• Twice a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »
Did you read the rules?
They help us have a wonderful experience
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:36:59 AM by Schrodingers Outlaw »
If you dont want to believe in sin dont believe in the supernatural
If you read the Bible backwards everybody lives
First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
God is s comedian and you are his joke.

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:33:49 AM »
Hi Emma.  ||smiley||

Some here will know me from the Why Won't God Heal Amputees site forums.

I thought you looked familiar.

Wilson wiggling out of supporting himself:

Facts need no proof.

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
+1 Welcome Emma. 

I am glad you have joined us. 
Tell us a little more about yourself, are you a theist or a non theist?
Tea or coffee?
Beer or wine?
Cats or dogs?

||grin||

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

I'm an agnostic atheist. Used to be more of a weak agnostic, but finding the WWGHA place and reading some of the stuff there soon shifted my belief status.

I drink tea and coffee! Have the occasional beer/rare glass of wine.

My family are now, sadly, down to 1 dog (he's a border collie) and 1 black shorthair cat. We did have a German Shepherd, but he recently unexpectedly passed away and then today we had to have our female tuxedo cat put down. She'd been terminally ill for some time, and things reached the point this morning when we knew it had to be done. :-( Still, on the more positive side of things, our border collie and other cat are doing pretty well at the moment - considering that they've also got health problems now being pretty old. We're expecting that they'll be around for some while yet! :-)
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »
Did you read the rules?
The help us have a wonderful experience

I'm about to start doing just that! :-)

Albert Einstein

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
Hi Emma.  ||smiley||

Some here will know me from the Why Won't God Heal Amputees site forums.

I thought you looked familiar.

Hi there Emily! :-) Haha! Yeah, I stuck with the same user name. Was too lazy to bother coming up with a new one!

Albert Einstein

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Valued Member
  • Time to rest now.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 12:48:19 AM »
Hi, Emma.  I keep the same username on any forum I visit, too.  You'll see a few of us from WWGHA hanging out here for the time being.  I have been on both forums for a while.
Ah, but I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now...  -Bob Dylan

Offline Emily

• Valued Member
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Hi, Emma.  I keep the same username on any forum I visit, too. 

Yeah, I'm Emily on all the forums I'm a part of.

You'll see a few of us from WWGHA hanging out here for the time being.  I have been on both forums for a while.

Especially with WWGHA down. Who knows how long that will be for. 
Wilson wiggling out of supporting himself:

Facts need no proof.

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »
Hi, Emma.  I keep the same username on any forum I visit, too.  You'll see a few of us from WWGHA hanging out here for the time being.  I have been on both forums for a while.

Heya Lori. Yeah, something weird's going on with that place right now isn't it? I find it pretty frustrating that the owner doesn't take better care of the website. You'd think he'd hand it over to somebody else if he's not interested in it anymore! Still, guess it's something that's beyond anyone's control. :-(

Albert Einstein

Offline Teaspoon Shallow

• Well caffeinated
  • Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 01:59:09 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! :-)

I'm an agnostic atheist. Used to be more of a weak agnostic, but finding the WWGHA place and reading some of the stuff there soon shifted my belief status.

I drink tea and coffee! Have the occasional beer/rare glass of wine.

My family are now, sadly, down to 1 dog (he's a border collie) and 1 black shorthair cat. We did have a German Shepherd, but he recently unexpectedly passed away and then today we had to have our female tuxedo cat put down. She'd been terminally ill for some time, and things reached the point this morning when we knew it had to be done. :-( Still, on the more positive side of things, our border collie and other cat are doing pretty well at the moment - considering that they've also got health problems now being pretty old. We're expecting that they'll be around for some while yet! :-)

You are very welcome.

Could you describe the difference between a weak atheist and an agnostic atheist for me please? (I would describe myself as an agnostic atheist but many theists want to lump me in the gnostic atheist camp and argue against a position I don't hold).

I drink tea and coffee also.
I enjoy a beer Friday afternoons but a wine drinker with certain meals.  Steak = Shiraz, Seafood = Sauvignon Blanc.

I am sorry to hear about your recent loss of your loved pets.  When I had to put down my god about 12 years ago I had no interest in getting another one.  Now I have 2 awesome dogs.  I like some cats but cannot stand others.

Enjoy.  ||tip hat||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That’s the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Offline Nam

• The One True
  • Valued Member
  • Does my breath stink?
    • My Poetry
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 02:23:25 AM »
Who are you?

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Creationism is the Hollywood version of Evolution - Nam

Offline Nam

• The One True
  • Valued Member
  • Does my breath stink?
    • My Poetry
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 02:24:43 AM »
Did you read the rules?
They help us have a wonderful experience

She's the sensitive type (no offense meant, Emma) she'll fit in with the rules.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• The One True
  • Valued Member
  • Does my breath stink?
    • My Poetry
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 02:28:14 AM »
You'l see a few of us from WWGHA hanging out here for the time being.  I have been on both forums for a while.

Especially with WWGHA down. Who knows how long that will be for. 

Well, if att was still around some of us would be there. Kickin' yourself, aren't ya?

||wink||

-Nam

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
You are very welcome.

Could you describe the difference between a weak atheist and an agnostic atheist for me please? (I would describe myself as an agnostic atheist but many theists want to lump me in the gnostic atheist camp and argue against a position I don't hold).

I wasn't a weak atheist, but a weak agnostic! ||wink|| But more than happy to expand a bit! Not much to it really. That's just my way of describing that I didn't know what to think either way, more or less as the definition here describes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Qualifying_agnosticism

Hoping that helps!

(I would describe myself as an agnostic atheist but many theists want to lump me in the gnostic atheist camp and argue against a position I don't hold).

As that's the position you hold, then imo you shouldn't let, what's other people's problem, stop you from being open about it! I know some people can get really pushy about these things, but you've always got the right to tell them that you don't want to discuss things further with them if they're going to be like that.

I drink tea and coffee also.
I enjoy a beer Friday afternoons but a wine drinker with certain meals.  Steak = Shiraz, Seafood = Sauvignon Blanc.

Barefoot Ruby Moscato happens to be my favourite wine! :-D Have also very recently decided that Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer is my favourite, although I do quite like Budweiser, Corona and Fosters beer too!

I am sorry to hear about your recent loss of your loved pets.  When I had to put down my god about 12 years ago I had no interest in getting another one.  Now I have 2 awesome dogs.  I like some cats but cannot stand others.

Thanks Teaspoon Shallow, I appreciate that. Sorry to hear about your cat also. Yeah...that kind of time always comes in the end doesn't it? :-( Glad to hear that you ended up with two dogs who have made such worthwhile companions for you! Appreciate what you're saying on that cat front. Not everybody thinks the same on these things!

Enjoy.  ||tip hat||

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:45:08 PM by Emma286 »

Albert Einstein

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
Who are you?

-Nam

Right back at you! :-P

She's the sensitive type (no offense meant, Emma) she'll fit in with the rules.

No worries Nam. ||wink||

Albert Einstein

Offline Dexter

• Not quite a
  • Valued Member
  • Self Portrait
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
Welcome Emma, +1 for looking forward to reading.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-the Amendment that ensures nobody is safe..

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
Howdy Emma, welcome to the fray!  ||tip hat||

Sorry about your loss. We had a cat, a very fat cat. She was grey. Her name was Kat. We called her Phat Kat. She spent most of her time running around the neighbor hood with some stray cats that lived underneath an abandoned trailer across the street. It took us a few days to notice but we eventually realized that she hadn't been home in a few days. We slowly realized that all the other stray cats were also missing. That was last summer. Now the trailer is apparently occupied by a warren. We suspect the bunnies of foul play.

We still have our dog, we call him BO. I sometimes joke and say that his name is short for Barrak Obama but it's really short for Bocephus. I don't know why, I just thought of it. He's the kind of dog that fits in with my world.

I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why, I call him Gerald.

Anyway. What kind of music do you like?
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline SkunkButt

• Contemplating becoming a
  • Valued Member
  • Be pro-active. Raise a stinker.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
Welcome Emma  ||tip hat||
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

Offline Emma286

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
Thanks again for the welcomes guys!

Howdy Emma, welcome to the fray!  ||tip hat||

Sorry about your loss. We had a cat, a very fat cat. She was grey. Her name was Kat. We called her Phat Kat. She spent most of her time running around the neighbor hood with some stray cats that lived underneath an abandoned trailer across the street. It took us a few days to notice but we eventually realized that she hadn't been home in a few days. We slowly realized that all the other stray cats were also missing. That was last summer. Now the trailer is apparently occupied by a warren. We suspect the bunnies of foul play.

We still have our dog, we call him BO. I sometimes joke and say that his name is short for Barrak Obama but it's really short for Bocephus. I don't know why, I just thought of it. He's the kind of dog that fits in with my world.

I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why, I call him Gerald.

Anyway. What kind of music do you like?

Thanks for the further thoughts Mr Blackwell. Sorry, in turn, to learn about your cat going missing in the way she did. :-( That's good that you still have your dog though! What kind of dog is he? Haha, I like that nickname you gave him! Interesting to hear on the mouse haha!

Music wise, I mainly listen to 80's pop/rock type stuff - but at times do listen to other stuff too! To give you an idea of the kinds of bands/artist's I like I'll list just a few here (in no particular order). They include:

Lacuna Coil
Theatre of Tragedy (going by what I've heard of their Aegis album)
Within Temptation
Eminem
Bryan Adams
Bonjovi
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Queen
Def Leppard
Belinda Carlisle
Pet Shop Boys
Kim Wilde
Madonna
Lady Gaga
Duran Duran
Eurythmics
Roxette
Status Quo
The Corrs
The Pretenders
The Bangles
Sting
Enya
Rem
Rihanna
Kate Perry (going by what I've heard of her Prism album)
Pink Floyd (going by what I've heard of their stuff so far)
Tangerine Dreams (when it comes to the music they did for The Keep and Legend movies).

Have recently started getting more into Linkin Park's stuff! Have also started to check out Joan Jett's and Liz Phair's stuff too, plus currently checking out more gothic metal/gothic rock bands to listen to! Can't think of any particular artists just now, but like listening to a bit of hard trance every now and then/the occasional liquid drum and bass tune also!

How about you Mr Blackwell?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:00:56 PM by Emma286 »

Albert Einstein

- IGI Chat