News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Pope, condoms, & HIV

Started by meAgain, December 14, 2015, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstwebbrowsing

I am happy to hear so many people have been helped by applying divine precepts.  I've read about some abstinence programs that have been implemented in various places to combat unwanted teen pregnancy too.  They appear to be having a lot of success also, or at least the ones I've read about.
Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Psalm 146:3

Boots

Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

meAgain

Quote from: Boots on December 14, 2015, 08:39:37 PM
Depends what you read, I guess...

Yes it does depend what you read.  The article I posted explained how western culture values and ideas aren't as effective in other parts of the world.  Promoting family, delaying of sexual activity, etc proved to be more effective than condom distribution and the article explained the reasons why that may be.  The Pope's response nailed it. 

Jay

You cant look at African countries when looking at condom use and HIV.

They have cultural reasons for not using condoms.

SUUUUUUREEE.  Abstinence is better for preventing HIV and STD's.  duh.   

But most 15 year olds are not going to listen to abstinence.  They wanna f**k, and they are gonna f**k.  So the best thing for those that are gonna f**k is to tell them to wrap that s**t up.
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Kusa

I wonder if the pope ever tried a jimmy hat.

meAgain

Quote from: Jay on December 30, 2015, 09:48:25 AM
You cant look at African countries when looking at condom use and HIV.

They have cultural reasons for not using condoms.

SUUUUUUREEE.  Abstinence is better for preventing HIV and STD's.  duh.   

But most 15 year olds are not going to listen to abstinence.  They wanna f**k, and they are gonna f**k.  So the best thing for those that are gonna f**k is to tell them to wrap that s**t up.

Uuuuh . . .research shows most 15 year olds also aren?t going to use condoms.

And the point is . . . thinking contraception is the answer to preventing HIV/STD?s and even abortion is a misnomer. There has never been greater access to contraception and yet there are more abortions and more sexually transmitted disease today then before contraception was made readily available. 

The answer isn?t contraception.  We need to treat the whole person ? get to the root.  The Church recognizes this wisdom, and isn?t afraid to speak out.