News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Hello From the Philippines

Started by 8livesleft, September 07, 2015, 04:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8livesleft

Hi guys,

I chanced upon your site on tapatalk. I used to frequent a few philosophy sites about a decade ago. I stopped due to being busy but of course I can't help but want to get into discussions and it's been getting me into trouble hahaha!

I live in a deeply religious country and married into a hardcore religious family. My wife is more open minded tho but just recently I got into a discussion with my mother in law ( I've had a few drinks by then). Stupid really. Getting half drunk and discussing religion with a 70 year old lady who's so hardcore she doesn't even believe in evolution lol

Anyway, I realize my verbal diarrhoea came from my need to discuss. Not fight or argue, just discuss. Besides religion, I like talking about environment, life, purpose, family.

And on the lighter side, I LOVE music. I play guitar, ukulele, record my own songs. I like mountainbikes and motorcycles. I collect knives. And I run a gas station with my wife and we have a 5 year old daughter.

Sorry for the long background haha

Looking forward to talking to you guys!

Cheers!

Mr. Blackwell

Howdy!

I have a cousin who was born in the Philippines.  ||tip hat||

Welcome to the fray.
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

8livesleft

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on September 07, 2015, 05:12:06 AM
Howdy!

I have a cousin who was born in the Philippines.  ||tip hat||

Welcome to the fray.
Thanks for the welcome!

Teaspoon Shallow

Welcome again.  Great to have you join us.

Philippines, oh paradise.  I know bugger all philosophy but it is a topic that interests me.
I look forward to learning.

||tip hat||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

none

hi there,
there might be a God, jesus never existed, you don't need religion to be a good person and don't expect to hear any of that from the religious folk
have a nice day :)
the candle can only be lit so many times.

8livesleft

Quote from: none on September 07, 2015, 07:34:52 AM
hi there,
there might be a God, jesus never existed, you don't need religion to be a good person and don't expect to hear any of that from the religious folk
have a nice day :)
Thanks for the welcome!

I think "somebody" existed. But then the followers deified him to the point that he became almost mythical.

People just being people. Adding mystical explanations for what they don't understand.

80sChild

Hi  @8livesleft !   ||wavingcow||  Nice to meet you Im 80sChild, most call me 80s. I'm an American from Texas, but I live in Mexico in the state of Sonora. I found this site too buy way of tapatalk ! I think I am the only Mormon here that I know of too, anyway, welcome to the party !! ||beerchug||

80s  ||kitten||

Jezzebelle

welcome!  sounds like this is a good place for you :) +1
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Kiahanie

Welcome, 8lives. +1  for finding us.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Dexter

Welcome. +1 for getting half drunk.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

8livesleft

kevin

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

8livesleft

kevin

davao?

i once lived in makati, up in luzon.

8livesleft

Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2015, 02:10:49 AM
davao?

i once lived in makati, up in luzon.
Cool! I used to live in Makati as well. Small world.

kevin

it was a while ago.

lots of changes since then, i think.

SkunkButt

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

Case

"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Mooby the Golden Sock

+1 'cause I know you can't see karma on Tapatalk.  ||wink||
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

8livesleft

Hilfy

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 08, 2015, 01:59:56 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2015, 01:44:06 AM
where in the philippines, 8?
Davao City, Mindanao.

When I went to Manila I remember reading my country's travel advisory saying that parts of Mindanao were quite dangerous.  Be careful out there.

8livesleft

Quote from: Hilfy on September 09, 2015, 05:49:56 AM
Quote from: 8livesleft on September 08, 2015, 01:59:56 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2015, 01:44:06 AM
where in the philippines, 8?
Davao City, Mindanao.

When I went to Manila I remember reading my country's travel advisory saying that parts of Mindanao were quite dangerous.  Be careful out there.
Hahaha yeah. My family actually had to leave here because of the "unrest" in the 80s caused by rebels. I remember hearing m16 gunfire while having breakfast with my family. Seemed so normal at the time.

The rebels actually raided my cousin's house next to us. Held my grandmother, aunt/uncle and their kids at gunpoint while they stole the walkie-talkies and guns.

These days, the trouble is confined in the Muslim populated regions. It's like the wild wild west. Law by rule of might.

Worst thing that happened to me outside the muslim area was being trapped in a crossfire between 2 tribes over a land dispute about 3 hours east. I was crouched down in our office for an hour till the "authorities" arrived.

Other than that, it's been pretty peaceful! Haha

kevin

when I was there the biggest issue were the huks.

8livesleft

kevin

that was them. they were all over, though

Happy Evolute

Welcome to the Forum, +1 for joining.

||beerchug||
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

kevin

i recall occasional amoks in the philippines, although they were called something else. lots more in malaysia and indonesia.

huramentado, maybe?

does that sort of thing still occur in the islands?

8livesleft

Quote from: kevin on September 10, 2015, 12:53:28 AM
i recall occasional amoks in the philippines, although they were called something else. lots more in malaysia and indonesia.

huramentado, maybe?

does that sort of thing still occur in the islands?

How long did you stay here again? Haha

Yeah, tribal fights don't occur as often. But once in a while an issue comes up when an outsider tries developing or investing in an area, favoring one group over another. The other group takes offense and causes trouble. Operations is disrupted and the investor pulls out leaving the two sides fighting. Fighting stops when the development is exhausted. That's basically what happened to us.