Author Topic: New Member !! 80'sChild !!  (Read 2509 times)  Share 

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
Re: New Member !! 80'sChild !!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
what do jockeys in quarter horse racing need to weigh?

how does the handicapping work?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline 80sChild

• Valued Member
  • Free thinker ... 🤔
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »

I weight 110. No more than 120

Handicap is when say I have a horse and I need a race, but you know your chances of winning are not as great as mine, maybe cuz my hose has more experience or whatever, so to make it worth your while I say, ok I will give you a head, ( meaning I have to win by a head)or I'll give you a 1/2 ,( meaning I have to beat you by half a link) if I do not beat you by the terms of the handicap u win the money .

Offline 80sChild

• Valued Member
  • Free thinker ... 🤔
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »

My new saddle!

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2015, 12:41:23 AM »
Handicap is when say I have a horse and I need a race, but you know your chances of winning are not as great as mine, maybe cuz my hose has more experience or whatever, so to make it worth your while I say, ok I will give you a head, ( meaning I have to win by a head)or I'll give you a 1/2 ,( meaning I have to beat you by half a link) if I do not beat you by the terms of the handicap u win the money .

i thought it might be like bracket racing, where consistency is king.

in bracket racing, each competitor states his expected quarter mile time. the difference between the two times becomes the head start given to the slower racer.

what this means is that anybody can race anybody else, because the slower racer gets to start first. in order to catch him by the finish, the faster racer has to wait for his own separate starting light, and then go all out, and can only win by catching up to the slow racer before he crosses the line. if you cross the line faster than you said you could, you're disqualified and the other racer wins.

how consistent are your horse's times? what affects their performance?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline 80sChild

• Valued Member
  • Free thinker ... 🤔
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 01:10:10 AM »

i thought it might be like bracket racing, where consistency is king.

in bracket racing, each competitor states his expected quarter mile time. the difference between the two times becomes the head start given to the slower racer.

what this means is that anybody can race anybody else, because the slower racer gets to start first. in order to catch him by the finish, the faster racer has to wait for his own separate starting light, and then go all out, and can only win by catching up to the slow racer before he crosses the line. if you cross the line faster than you said you could, you're disqualified and the other racer wins.

how consistent are your horse's times? what affects their performance?

Chica Bunny is a short distance racer 100 meters in 6.8 seconds .
Rocket Man I m not sure yet he's new and hasnt raced. Yet he will in October

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 01:28:16 AM »
i'm not familiar with quarter horses, so i don't know how fast is fast.

but 55 mph is faster than i ever knew a horse could go.

Offline 80sChild

• Valued Member
  • Free thinker ... 🤔
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 02:27:33 AM »

i'm not familiar with quarter horses, so i don't know how fast is fast.

but 55 mph is faster than i ever knew a horse could go.
0 to 55 in 21 seconds it's fast and their break is hard!!

- IGI Chat