Author Topic: Hi from Belgium  (Read 2222 times)  Share 

Offline Happy Meal

• and his
  • Valued Member
Hi from Belgium
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »
Hi. I know Mooby from another community and he mentioned this board, so I thought I'd check it out. I'm curious to see how people discuss the usually very sensitive topic of religion here.

About me: I'm a guy, I'm from Belgium, I'm in my early 30s, I'm a translator & cunning linguist, I'm married (to a man), I have an awesome dog, and I'm a convinced atheist — as are my parents. I'm pretty sure there is no god out there, and I don't need one to live a full and happy life. My favourite colour is a hard-to-pinpoint specific shade of blue, which you could call electric neon swimming-pool sky blue, maybe? This colour comes close. Yet I also really like bright red. Which is indicative of my somewhat fickle nature. I like generic singalong pop music, and it's fascinating to me how few people like to admit that. I mean, if everyone was into indie/alternative stuff, it wouldn't be alternative; it'd be mainstream. I'd like to think I'm very open-minded and up for any debate that is founded on logical reasoning (even if reasons are emotional, they should at least make sense). Also, I have no affiliation to any fast-food restaurants :)

Now, it looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

Offline FGOH

• I might take a picture of your
  • Valued Member
  • Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Re: Hi from Belgium
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
I should hope you don't have any affiliation to fast-food restaurants, living in Belgium. I mean, when you have access to French quality food in German portion sizes who cares for fast food?

Whereabouts do you live?

Oh, and welcome.
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Offline Happy Meal

• and his
  • Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »
That's a pretty apt description of Belgian cuisine!
I'm from the Dutch-speaking part, Flanders. Anything more specific than that is highly classified  ||cool||

Offline rickymooston

• naughty
  • Valued Member
  • A Canadian
    • Quote somebody on the forum 哈哈
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Welcome!

Married to a man? Recent? If yes, belated congrats!

Pity for you, if you don't enjoy fast food. A dutch couple
ran away from us when i discussed the McD's in Thailand.
||666||. I was now "typical American" and no longer
"wonderful Canadian".
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Offline whatever

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Happy Meal!    ||smileydance||

How many languages do you speak?
GratefulApe: "I hope the planet starts with Michael Moore( I hope Michael Moore dies soon)."

Offline meAgain

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm a translator & cunning linguist

You phrased it that way on purpose – no? 

Welcome to the forum.

Offline FGOH

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
Love the avatar!

I've been to Belgium a few times. Parents lived in Brussels for a while. So we've done that, Bruges, Ghent, Zeebrugge, Ostend, Dinant, Ciney, had a family holiday in Spa a couple of years back and called in on Antwerp off a cruise earlier this month (although I had been there before as my engagement ring came from Antwerp many moons ago).

I always enjoy my visits.

Offline Happy Meal

• and his
  • Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
Wow, such a warm welcome! Thanks, y'all.

@rickymooston yea, married for over a year now, after nine years together, but thanks  ||tip hat|| — Also, I never said I didn't like a bit of greasy fast food on occasion. Just not a big fast food buff, unlike my name would have you believe ...

@whatever Thanks! I wanna say ... seven-ish?

@meAgain you're on to me!

@FGOH I'm near one of those *mysterious grin*

Offline whatever

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Wow! That is quite awesome, sir! Kudos! And thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
GratefulApe: "I hope the planet starts with Michael Moore( I hope Michael Moore dies soon)."

Offline Happy Evolute

• Forum Bulldog
  • Valued Member
  • The Heavens declare the absence of the Lord.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

||tip hat||
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Offline Dexter

• Not quite a
  • Valued Member
  • Self Portrait
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
Another Happy atheist?

welcome anyway man :) +1
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-the Amendment that ensures nobody is safe..

Offline Garja

• Valued Member
  • I find your lack of evidence disturbing
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
Hallo en welkom op het forum mede atheïst. En nee, ik heb geen nederlands spreken, dit is pure google translate!
“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear.”
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Valued Member
  • Time to rest now.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
Hello and Welcome.  I am also a newbie to this forum.  I spent 2 weeks in Belgium back in 1992 when I was in the Army Reserve.  I got to do a lot of touring around and really liked it.  We were staying at a little base near St. Nicklaus and wandered over to Ghent, Brugge and to Antwerp to have a look around as well.  I remember very few Flemish words. Everywhere we went we were given coffee and these yummy little cookies. Hope you enjoy this forum.
Ah, but I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now...  -Bob Dylan

Offline Jezzebelle

• playboy mouthed
  • Valued Member
  • Why is a raven like a writing desk?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
Welcome!! 

I have also visited your country... And totally almost got run over by bikes like 5 times, it was terrifying!
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Offline FGOH

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
Welcome!! 

I have also visited your country... And totally almost got run over by bikes like 5 times, it was terrifying!

You think it's bad in Belgium? Try Holland! They have multi-storey car parks, but for bikes. And special priority on roundabouts. I wouldn't dare to drive over there for fear of knocking them all over in my confusion as to how it all works. But then I wouldn't dare to drive in Belgium either. My son in law nearly had several heart attacks when driving to Spa for our family holiday.  ||grin||

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
Howdy!

Our favorite colors are not too far apart. I like an electric blue, like the runway lights or on Christmas trees. Very soothing.

If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline Happy Meal

• and his
  • Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 07:07:16 AM »
Driving in Belgium is not for the faint of heart indeed. You have to drive a bit like a New York cabbie :)
I love driving in the U.S., but not in my own country. Here, it's a means to an end and you don't just "go for a drive" here, unless you're a masochist ||sad||

Lori, those cookies must have been Speculoos. Omnomnom.

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
hello happy

what is driving in belgium like?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline FGOH

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »
You asked Happy, but I hope you won't mind my telling the story of my stepson's first ever foray into driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

We were going to Spa on holiday with the family and needed to take two cars. Hubby drove one, stepson the other.

Our Eurotunnel train was delayed. We had a particular time frame in which we had to arrive at the holiday villa to collect the keys.

It was agreed that if time got too tight hubby would blast forth to make sure someone arrived to collect the keys in time, but that we would try to drive in convoy because stepson felt a tad nervous about the whole thing.

The delayed train meant that we were driving the Brussels ring road at rush hour and we had to take the route that goes past the airport. That particular road is a major highway, but it has entrance and exit lanes ON BOTH SIDES. So, you get someone rushing in on the left, someone rushing in on the right, then the person who rushed in on the left needs to cross the highway dead quickly to reach the exit they need on the right etc etc.

I could see stepson through the wing mirror. He likes to drive extra safely and leave a 2 second gap between him and the car in front. Belgians were pouring into his two second gap like stampeding wildebeest. He fell further and further behind as the Belgians filled his gap; not helped by the fact that hubby drives like a Belgian and was merrily filling in the 0.25 second gaps left by others.

We all made it to our destination safely, but stepson was much in need of a few Belgian beers that night!

Offline Happy Meal

• and his
  • Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Sounds about right, FGOH!

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:22 PM »
what's up, happy?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline SkunkButt

• Contemplating becoming a
  • Valued Member
  • Be pro-active. Raise a stinker.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
Hey Happy Meal  ||tip hat||
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

Dennis Miller

- IGI Chat