Author Topic: Island lizards evolve..  (Read 1236 times)  Share 

Offline Tero

• Lotto winner
  • Valued Member
  • We ourselves provide meaning for our lives.
Island lizards evolve..
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Valued Member
Re: Island lizards evolve..
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
That sounds a lot like adaptation which I thought was incorrect?
Jehovah is the one marching before you, and he will continue with you. He will neither desert you nor abandon you. Do not be afraid or be terrified.

Deuteronomy 31:8

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
That sounds a lot like adaptation which I thought was incorrect?
Individuals will adapt to new environments in order to survive. For example, these Pod Kopiste desert lizards were suited for catching small insects. When the researchers brought them to the island they adapted to their new surroundings and became mostly leaf eaters due to the abundance of fibrous plants. That's adaptation. The result of 30+ years of island life was an increased head size with an increased bite force and, more excitingly, the development of cecal valves in their digestive system (an entirely new structure to their bodies). And this occurred in the entire population. That's evolution.

It's worth reading. Apparently their behavior also changed because of the switch in their diet. They no longer had any use for predatory territory since they only preyed on insects opportunistically. Lucky bugs!
I am an equal opportunity deity denier.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
Yes it is very interesting.  But what I've been told is the evolution works through random variation and natural selection.  In this case the variation doesn't seem very random.
Jehovah is the one marching before you, and he will continue with you. He will neither desert you nor abandon you. Do not be afraid or be terrified.

Offline none

• Twice a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
isn't the move to a new island random enough?
If you dont want to believe in sin dont believe in the supernatural
If you read the Bible backwards everybody lives
First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
God is s comedian and you are his joke.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »
But what I've been told is the evolution works through random variation and natural selection.  In this case the variation doesn't seem very random.

Ah! I think I understand what you're saying. Are you talking about the genetic changes displayed in the phenotype of the lizards, like the larger head and increased jaw strength?

You are correct- mutations are very random. Some help the organism adapt to its environment, some are neutral, and some can send the organism to an early grave (e.g. poor patterned camouflage). In this case with the Pod Kopiste lizards there was a random variation in head sizes and bite force. The lizards with the mutations for small heads and a weak bite force wouldn't be as well suited to their new environment to the degree of the lizards with the beneficial mutation for masticating the tough, fibrous plants. If an individual organism isn't as well suited then it won't be growing as quickly or reproducing as much as the rest of it's population.

To put it simply- because of the introduction of the new environment the larger heads flourished while the smaller heads died off or didn't reproduce as often, which lead to a gene pool that favored larger heads and increased bite force. That's why the variation doesn't seem random.

Offline Tero

• Lotto winner
  • Valued Member
  • We ourselves provide meaning for our lives.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
Mutations are random, but several mutations can go in the same direction. The mutations that went the other way may not have led to the animal dying, but it did not reproduce well. Females look for animals in good condition. If the male is skinny and barely surviving, she will not mate with it.

Every single step is tested, every generstion. It is the "drive" in evolution.

Was this too complicated, Browsing?

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »
Mutations are random, but several mutations can go in the same direction. The mutations that went the other way may not have led to the animal dying, but it did not reproduce well. Females look for animals in good condition. If the male is skinny and barely surviving, she will not mate with it.

Every single step is tested, every generstion. It is the "drive" in evolution.

Was this too complicated, Browsing?

In fairness, it is a little complicated. I had a rough time with it in my biology electives.

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 01:28:36 AM »
Individuals will adapt to new environments in order to survive. For example, these Pod Kopiste desert lizards were suited for catching small insects. When the researchers brought them to the island they adapted to their new surroundings and became mostly leaf eaters due to the abundance of fibrous plants. That's adaptation.

gilgamesh, your english useage is correct, but to use the term "adaptation" for a facultative behavioral change obscures its specific meaning with respect to natural selection.

sure, behaviour can be modified and fixed by selection, but the "adaptation" of an individual changing behavior is a different thing from the 'adaptation" of a population evolving a closer fit to a changing niche.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »
gilgamesh, your english useage is correct, but to use the term "adaptation" for a facultative behavioral change obscures its specific meaning with respect to natural selection.

sure, behaviour can be modified and fixed by selection, but the "adaptation" of an individual changing behavior is a different thing from the 'adaptation" of a population evolving a closer fit to a changing niche.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? I think I understand what you're saying, but it was a populations change in environment which lead to a change in behavior which lead to the populations evolution. I don't see why adaptation through behavior would be considered any differently in regards to natural selection.

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
You are correct- mutations are very random. Some help the organism adapt to its environment, some are neutral, and some can send the organism to an early grave (e.g. poor patterned camouflage). In this case with the Pod Kopiste lizards there was a random variation in head sizes and bite force. The lizards with the mutations for small heads and a weak bite force wouldn't be as well suited to their new environment to the degree of the lizards with the beneficial mutation for masticating the tough, fibrous plants. If an individual organism isn't as well suited then it won't be growing as quickly or reproducing as much as the rest of it's population.

To put it simply- because of the introduction of the new environment the larger heads flourished while the smaller heads died off or didn't reproduce as often, which lead to a gene pool that favored larger heads and increased bite force. That's why the variation doesn't seem random.

this ^^^ is what you said later, which is correct. what i picked up on was the idea that "adaptation" was something which individuals did in response to an environmental change that requires a shift in their resource utilization in some manner.

individuals don't adapt, only populations do. they do this by experiencing change in the gene frequencies of the traits undergoing selective pressure. for example, in your lizards, there will be pre-existing range of sizes and jaw structures, which are manifestations of heritable genes. if the distribution of food size or type changes, such that the optimum phenotype drifts away from whatever was stable before, then selection will track that change by favoring survival or fecundity of the organisms that possess the phenotypes better suited to the new distribution. over successive generations, the gene frequencies of the population will change, and evolution will have occurred. they may stay that way a bit, or continue to change, as they track the moving target of food types.

but no individual organism has adapted to anything, anywhere in the process. the individual organisms merely survive and reproduce at different frequencies, dependent upon their success in processing the change in their adaptive landscape.

now, you can use the term 'adaptation" in a completely different way by talking about behavioural changes in individuals. for example, if the range food types available to the lizards changes fairly slowly, then individuals can simply modify their choices of what goes into their mouths. this will not be a heritable change, and won't show up as an evolutionary modification. it can result in evolution, but isn't evolution itself, just flexibility. if the resource drifts far enough out of the range of the individual to process or moves too quickly, then the individual will suffer, and if the population phenotypic mean gets left behind by the resource change, then the population will suffer too, and may eventually go extinct.

that's all that i was saying.  and i'm not talking about mutation, just frequency changes among alleles that are already in the population. given mutation added to the mix, you can actually introduce things that are new, rather than just changing frequencies of things that are already there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" ---yellow dog racing

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
Ah now I see what you mean by obscuring its specific meaning in regards to natural selection! Makes total sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
So what could have made larger heads and a stronger bite not be passed along in it's native habitat is what doesn't make sense to me.  It seem like a stronger bite would be beneficial for just about any animal?  Or at least I don't see how it would make them less fit to survive so as these lizards had not already evolved such things, but in 30 years in a different habitat they did.

I mean it seems to me if the variation was random then the randomness must have gotten it right the first time.  30 years is not long for "trial and error".

Offline Gilgamesh

• Self Projection as a
  • Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
So what could have made larger heads and a stronger bite not be passed along in it's native habitat is what doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not a lizard expert but I would hazard a guess that a larger, heavier head wouldn't be ideal for catching the fast moving insects native to Pod Kopiste. But that's just speculation. It would make sense that the more agile lizards were better suited to catching prey in that environment.

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
jaws and teeth and so forth are designed and scaled to the prey that an organism hunts. look at the tiny delicate jaws of insectivorous bats, with their many needle-like teeth. they're designed to catch hold of insects in flight and retain them long enough for the bats to chew a bit and swallow. big heavy jaws don't hold an insect any better, and are heavier, with more bones and muscles.

but fruit bats likely have completely different teeth. i don't know this yet, and i'm going to look up images of both types to compare:

insectivorous bat:

Spoiler

this^^^ jaw is about 8 mm long.

fruit bat:

Spoiler

bingo. notice the great big fruit bat has completely different teeth, with grinding molars designed to crunch up plants that aren't struggling.

i didn't know this in advance. doesn't prove anything about evolution, but it illustrates how different types of teeth are necessay for eating different foods. the fruit bat mandible is about 50 mm long

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
Yes that makes sense, but such considerable and advantageous change over such a short period of time, seems to really be beating the odds I would think.  Maybe I am just ignorant but that seems quite miraculous.

Offline Captain Luke

• 61!
  • Valued Member
  • It's 61!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
30 years isn't much for humans. Lizards aren't humans.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
They apparantly breed every spring so we're talking about 30 generations which would take humans about 600 years.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:28 AM »
Yes that makes sense, but such considerable and advantageous change over such a short period of time, seems to really be beating the odds I would think.  Maybe I am just ignorant but that seems quite miraculous.

Maybe these things don't take nearly as long as previously suspected?
If they respected America they would have broken the law and came here illegally.

Offline Airyaman

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 01:29:34 AM »
@ Jstwebbrowsing, how would you explain these changes in the lizard?
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

Offline Captain Luke

• 61!
  • Valued Member
  • It's 61!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
They apparantly breed every spring so we're talking about 30 generations which would take humans about 600 years.
The breadth of generation is important too. One female could lay 30 or 40 eggs a year for several years, and each generation of new eggs could do the same. The exponential growth is significantly quicker that it would be for 30 generations of human. That allows for much quicker evolution.

Offline Dexter

• Not quite a
  • Valued Member
  • Self Portrait
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
How about inactive genes simply being re-activated?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."-the Amendment that ensures nobody is safe..

Offline Garja

• Valued Member
  • I find your lack of evidence disturbing
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Holy -necro!!!
“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear.”
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Boots

• Keep your hands off my
  • Valued Member
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
Yes it is very interesting.  But what I've been told is the evolution works through random variation and natural selection.  In this case the variation doesn't seem very random.

but the natural selection is obvious.

edit:  OOPS!!  didn't realize how old the thread was...it showed up in my "unread" section today!
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Offline kevin

• Valued Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
variation is always non-random.

my kids won't randomly be born with blue skin, or leathery wings.

perhaps a better description would be " distributed around a mean."

- IGI Chat