News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Imagination is my spirituality

Started by Airyaman, February 18, 2013, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airyaman

In another thread, I hinted that I sought to find out more about something I called a "spark". It is hard to describe, but it is simply an inner yearning to feel connected. Not just to other people, but to all of existence (I'll tolerate the roaches and spiders!). I also stated that I never really felt that connected when in Christianity. Upon reflection, that is not necessarily true.

I often felt connected when my imagination was at play. Most of the time, that happened when I was really meditating on the words of a song I was singing, either at home or in the choir or on the stage. If I could picture myself in the words of song, that provided a connection for me.

I love to day dream. I used to love to read fantasy fiction. I often fantasize about what life would be if I could do X, knowing I probably never will. I love playing PC RPGs. All of these things make me feel connected in some way, because it is my mind just going its own direction (with some guideposts obviously).

That is why I am maintaining a slight interest in neo shamanism at the moment. I have never attempted to journey in the years or so I have studied it, because I am skeptical of the supernatural claims related to it. Yet I know it will provide an outlet for my imagination to exercise, and that, to me, is spirituality.

Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

rickymooston

Yes, its spirituality or an expression of it.

What you describe isnt inconsistebt with how i
see Taoism. Dont know anything about neodhamanism

Some forms of taoism are however associated

The inability to describe is a limitation of our language to
fully convey all the nuances of experience and intuition

"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

nateswift

Quote from: rickymooston on February 19, 2013, 03:03:07 AM

see Taoism. Dont know anything about neo(s)hamanism

If you are interested Carlos Castaneda is a good introduction.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Airyaman

^^ Depends. I read a bit of Carlos C. stuff out of curiosity, it was a bit too dark for me. For some reason, I love shows with violence and death (though that is not why I love them) but I shy away from those things in all other facets in life.

EDIT: I don't know that CC has any of the above, but I think it appeals to those who seek power for personal gain.
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

Airyaman

Here is a good book, imho, of some of the benefits of neo shamanism as a therapeutic practice.

Journeying : Where Shamanism and Psychology Meet

Case

is "journeying" a code word for whats otherwise known as "tripping"?
"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

rickymooston

Quote from: Case on May 28, 2013, 06:21:12 PM
is "journeying" a code word for whats otherwise known as "tripping"?

Often, i believe it refers to living life learning from experience.

Dont think it focuses on thise experiences that are drug induced
but certainly any experience is part of yoir journey
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute