News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Judaism explained by a person of the Jewish faith.

Started by none, September 17, 2012, 04:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

none

bring it.
the candle can only be lit so many times.

Woodrow LI

none

Quote from: Woodrow LI on September 17, 2012, 08:53:18 PM
Quote from: none on September 17, 2012, 04:41:22 PM
bring it.

Why don't Jews believe Jesus(a.s.) is the "Son of G_D?
Please wait for a person of the Jewish faith to join this thread before you post questions Woodro Li.

PamM

do we have any practicing Jews who are active on here?  haven't noticed any.  I've been to two bat mitzvahs, but they were both like 30 years ago, and I really didn't understand what was going on.  Interesting topic, though.

I just learned how to say happy new year though, L'shana tova (lah-sha-NAH toe-VAH) - it's rosh hashanna, I can tell you that much

||tip hat||

none

Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:28:20 PM
do we have any practicing Jews who are active on here?  haven't noticed any.  I've been to two bat mitzvahs, but they were both like 30 years ago, and I really didn't understand what was going on.  Interesting topic, though.

I just learned how to say happy new year though, L'shana tova (lah-sha-NAH toe-VAH) - it's rosh hashanna, I can tell you that much

||tip hat||
maybe it is time to invite them? maybe....

PamM

hah! engraved invitation to what address?  I think there are a fair number of atheist jews who might be here - but many of those might not know much more than I do, having hung out with practicing jews but never practiced.

none

Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:33:01 PM
hah! engraved invitation to what address?  I think there are a fair number of atheist jews who might be here - but many of those might not know much more than I do, having hung out with practicing jews but never practiced.
This thread is not about a person whose ethnicity is Jewish.

PamM

I didn't necessarily mean that, thought I would guess almost any Jewish atheist's ethnicity would be.  It's my understanding that it's easier for there to be practicing Jewish atheists than most christian sects (except like, maybe my quakers) - there's more room for questioning, at least in some branches, and a much more intense focus on study and debate.  So you could study the torah and keep the traditions and be a Jew, both ethnically and theologically (to some extent) but not actually accept any particular dogma about God (or certain read the stories of the bible as true)

My boss is an ethnic Jew who was raised Unitarian/Atheist and decided as an adult to re-connect with her roots, as it were.  She attends a liberal synagogue and keeps the sabbath, was off work today for rosh hashannah, etc.  I don't know if she keeps kosher.  I haven't asked her about her religious beliefs per se, but it woudn't surprise me if they're not much different from mine.

none

Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:48:47 PM
I didn't necessarily mean that, thought I would guess almost any Jewish atheist's ethnicity would be.
^gibberish
Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:48:47 PM
  It's my understanding that it's easier for there to be practicing Jewish atheists than most christian sects (except like, maybe my quakers) - there's more room for questioning, at least in some branches, and a much more intense focus on study and debate.  So you could study the torah and keep the traditions and be a Jew, both ethnically and theologically (to some extent) but not actually accept any particular dogma about God (or certain read the stories of the bible as true)
This thread is not intended for you to speculate about what it is like to be a Jewish atheist.

PamM

well, its intended purpose doesn't seem to be working out.   The one about muslims was started by a Muslim.  maybe if there was someone here who wanted to answer those questions they would start their own damn thread.

really, none, pretty much no thread I've ever started has benefitted from your input either, when did you get so persnickety?

none

Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:58:54 PM
well, its intended purpose doesn't seem to be working out.   The one about muslims was started by a Muslim.  maybe if there was someone here who wanted to answer those questions they would start their own damn thread.

really, none, pretty much no thread I've ever started has benefitted from your input either, when did you get so persnickety?
:)

Nam

I think discussing the topic, then letting one of Jewish faith to weigh in would be better.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Creationism is the Hollywood version of Evolution - Nam

PamM

thanks Name  ||wink||

I was sort of thinking I'd say a bunch of semi ignorant stuff, so if there's anyone out there, they'd be motivated to come correct me

I was just thinking about this while walking my dogs (because I"m enough of a geek I think about this stuff while walking my dogs) and I'd just be surprised if there is anyone "listening" - we have what, like 2-5 catholics on this list? how many more catholics are there than jews? 

and (here I go again) converting us or "saving" us isnt' part of the jewish schtick (excuse me) - it's my understanding that jews have no particular desire that other folks convert to their faith (or that they don't, I think they're reasonably welcoming) - they dont' think we're going to hell, or even on the wrong track not being jewish.  my faith journey is somewhat irrelevant to them until it overlaps with theirs of its own volition.  and, their faith doesn't tend to require them to mess up other people's lives (I"m pretty sure Maggie is happy or at least neutral that I"m going to hell, but she STILL has to make sure I can't marry a woman, in ADDITION to that) - so atheists and humanists don't really have much complaint with them eithe. 

so, I'd just be kinda surprised if anyone was motivated to come here to talk passionately about their jewish faith.  a little less surprised than if we had amish, but not a lot less.

Hemingway

I don't think I have ever met an Irish Jewish person before. I would imagine their population is quite low here. Probably the majority work for the Israeli embassy or something.....

I did, however, talk to an American Rabi once whilst stranded at JFK for 24 hours.

His name was Bob.......  ||smiley||
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

FGOH

I got into a fearful row with Yosi (I think his name was) about circumcision. I wonder where he got to?
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Jamestr

It certainly would be worthwhile to hear "Judaism explained by a person of the Jewish faith." I hope such a person steps up.

But as a Jew, I would say the question is not rightly put. It is a mistake to think of Judaism as fundamentally a set of beliefs, or an ethnicity, or a nationality. None of those facets of Judaism get to the truth of it. It is a heritage and identity of complex meaning and origin. Few religious Jews would dream of denying the Judaism of unbelievers like Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, Philip Roth, Woody Allen, Sarah Silverman...or my father or grandfather...all as godless and as Jewish as they come. Many orthodox Jews would deny my Judaism, not because I'm an atheist, but because my father, not my mother, was a Jew. Reform and secular Jews, though, would clearly accept me as a Jew.

Of course, theism is central to Judaism for a great many Jews, but probably not as central as history, heritage, family, culture. Christianity, and I believe Islam as well, are so focused on religion as being essentially a shared set of beliefs, those of the Christian tradition/culture assume that Judaism is so focused as well. It is not.

I will try to respond to Woodrow's question, though None didn't like it. I think it is a good question.

Significantly, the notion of the messiah as the one and only son of God is not a Jewish notion at all, regardless of the question whether Jesus is accepted as the messiah. The Christian conception of the messiah is miles away from descriptions of the messiah in the Hebrew Bible--I'm personally confused by the fact that Christians see Jesus as the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy. He just doesn't tick any of the right boxes. Jews who wait for a messiah are not waiting for the son of God. I don't have a very deep understanding of what the Jewish messiah is--I do have a little--but teaching for a few years and then being killed by the Roman authorities certainly ain't it.

Woodrow LI

Quote from: Jamestr on September 20, 2012, 08:21:03 PM
It certainly would be worthwhile to hear "Judaism explained by a person of the Jewish faith." I hope such a person steps up.

But as a Jew, I would say the question is not rightly put. It is a mistake to think of Judaism as fundamentally a set of beliefs, or an ethnicity, or a nationality. None of those facets of Judaism get to the truth of it. It is a heritage and identity of complex meaning and origin. Few religious Jews would dream of denying the Judaism of unbelievers like Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, Philip Roth, Woody Allen, Sarah Silverman...or my father or grandfather...all as godless and as Jewish as they come. Many orthodox Jews would deny my Judaism, not because I'm an atheist, but because my father, not my mother, was a Jew. Reform and secular Jews, though, would clearly accept me as a Jew.

Of course, theism is central to Judaism for a great many Jews, but probably not as central as history, heritage, family, culture. Christianity, and I believe Islam as well, are so focused on religion as being essentially a shared set of beliefs, those of the Christian tradition/culture assume that Judaism is so focused as well. It is not.

I will try to respond to Woodrow's question, though None didn't like it. I think it is a good question.

Significantly, the notion of the messiah as the one and only son of God is not a Jewish notion at all, regardless of the question whether Jesus is accepted as the messiah. The Christian conception of the messiah is miles away from descriptions of the messiah in the Hebrew Bible--I'm personally confused by the fact that Christians see Jesus as the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy. He just doesn't tick any of the right boxes. Jews who wait for a messiah are not waiting for the son of God. I don't have a very deep understanding of what the Jewish messiah is--I do have a little--but teaching for a few years and then being killed by the Roman authorities certainly ain't it.

Strangly I am considered a Jew by some Jews as My Mothers grandmother on her Mothers side was a Jew. However the Chassidic Jews will say I lost that right as My Great-grandmother lost her Jewishness when she converted to Christianity and was no longer considered a Jew.

Jamestr

Quote from: Woodrow LI on September 20, 2012, 08:43:11 PMStrangly I am considered a Jew by some Jews as My Mothers grandmother on her Mothers side was a Jew.

Jewish enough for me. L'Chaim!

Woodrow LI

Quote from: Jamestr on September 20, 2012, 09:21:19 PM
Quote from: Woodrow LI on September 20, 2012, 08:43:11 PMStrangly I am considered a Jew by some Jews as My Mothers grandmother on her Mothers side was a Jew.

Jewish enough for me. L'Chaim!

Shalon Brother Yid

Jamestr

Nam

I'm on the road less traveled...

Creationism is the Hollywood version of Evolution - Nam

rickymooston

Quote from: PamM on September 17, 2012, 09:28:20 PM
do we have any practicing Jews who are active on here?

We had two. They left the forum a while ago.

We also had at least one jewish atheist. (Two if you count Codd who converted AFTER becoming an atheist.)
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Jamestr