Welcome! Is God Imaginary? is a community of believers from various
religious and non-religious traditions, as well as former believers, agnostics,
and atheists. If your religious or cultural background or beliefs about
God are different from those around you, this might be just the place
IGI aims to be:
- A listening place where people can express themselves to those who
feel or believe differently.
- A supportive place for those who are in a minority or excluded because
of their beliefs, or lack of them.
- An illustrating place where people can showcase the richness and depth
of their own traditions.
- A free and open place where people with strong beliefs can express
them, and get honest responses.
- A diverse and inclusive place where no single viewpoint shuts out
opposition, but instead there exists a recognition of everyone's common
humanity, and the value that differing backgrounds and experiences can
bring to a discussion.
- A challenging place where people who are very sure of their version
of the truth and don't think it's worth it to listen to others can come
and speak their piece, and those who believe that understanding and
valuing of difference is important can find ways to live that belief
out in the face of genuine opposition.
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly: a caring place, where the "valued
member" we place below each person's name represents how they're actually
Making a place with that many conflicting goals workable can be challenging.
The way we've managed to pull it off (mostly... but for several years
now!) is by building a fun and caring community that all of our members
can feel a part of, regardless of the beliefs they came here with. Please
and post in the Introduce
board, and we'll welcome you and show you the ropes.